Mobile Hotspot modded to skip provisioning check (VZW)

Search This thread

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
Google Pixel 6
Hi all. I have obtained a modded version of the Mobile Hotspot provisioning for Verizon. This should let you use hotspot without paying VZW for the feature that is free to any non-VZW rom users..

TO CLEAR UP ANY CONFUSION: I am NOT the original developer of this mod. I was directly contacted by the modder who wished to remain anonymous due to the potentially grey legal area of a mod such as this.
Suffice to say that I am not stealing credit, and that I am posting it specifically to act as a shield to the original dev, as per their request. If I need to give a name to avoid flak, then I'll just remove the post rather than break my promise.

UPDATE: The mods are OK with this posrt for now, unless anything happens. So for now it's staying up.

Anywho. Download the file, backup and remove HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex from /system/app/ And then drag in this copy of the apk. Put it's permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot.

You should now be able to set up your mobile hotspot.
I am posting this from my tethered computer :)

HotspotProvision.apk (98 KB)

Note that I DID NOT CREATE THIS.
If this for some reason is not allowed on here, please let me know and/or delete the post.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-24-00-17-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-24-00-17-49.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 16,911
Last edited:

timsterzzz

Aug 30, 2010
Works like a charm, thanks.

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

I used root explorer. Renamed files to hotspotprovision.old and hotspotprovisiono.old. Copied in the the apk file, set permissions. About to go on a road trip and this was much needed.

Namtaru

Nov 24, 2008
Followed OP directions to a T

When I click on Mobile Hotspot I get an error.

hotspoterror.jpg

EDIT: Ignore me, I had the Verizon Mobile Hotspot apk frozen :eek:

Last edited:

Lesser Version

Oct 29, 2010
Nice....Thank you for posting this. OP post instructions were perfect. The one thing I am noticing about all these mods is that the OP are telling people to delete these original files, when all you have to do is rename them if you don't want to back them up or are nervous about deleting them. Again, thank you!!

hd-renegade

Aug 31, 2012
Waynesville
Hi all. I have obtained a modded version of the Mobile Hotspot provisioning for Verizon. This should let you use hotspot without paying VZW for the feature that is free to any non-VZW rom users..

Anywho. Download the file, backup and remove HotspotProvision.apk and HotspotProvision.odex from /system/app/ And then drag in this copy of the apk. Put it's permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot.

If this for some reason is not allowed on here, please let me know and/or delete the post.

You ROCK MAN!!!! It works on my Verizon G2 !!!!! Thank you :good: :fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TO CLEAR UP ANY CONFUSION: I am NOT the original developer of this mod. I was directly contacted by the modder who wished to remain anonymous due to the potentially grey legal area of a mod such as this.
    Suffice to say that I am not stealing credit, and that I am posting it specifically to act as a shield to the original dev, as per their request. If I need to give a name to avoid flak, then I'll just remove the post rather than break my promise.

UPDATE: The mods are OK with this posrt for now, unless anything happens. So for now it's staying up.

They are not my files to share. I wont post them out of respect to the developer. All you need to do is find a 25a or 25b rom with the modded hotspot and extract the files from it.

Thank you :)

For those asking, here it is:

VS98025B Hotspot Mod

usual rules apply...use it in your rom, etc if you want, but give credit.

EDIT: For those that have asked, this is the same apk for 26A. It's unchanged.
    https://mega.co.nz/#!ktYESIpZ!ODIDhJ1PVkJzWiiMZrUrDE5Yg_bk3Z-Hq0Dt0LgC2z4

This is a deodexed version based on xdabbeb's hack. Should work on any 24a based rom/
    Did you reboot

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Always after pushing files. Just seems odd that I got the browser to push fine. I wonder if there's some data/cache I need to rid of first...

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Forgot about the odex file. Renamed that and I'm all good!

For people that don't want to root with su and only adb root. My steps renames the original files instead of completely deleting them. Follow these commands:

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /system/app/
    mv HotspotProvision.apk HotspotProvision.bak
    mv HotspotProvision.odex HotspotProvision.bakodex
    exit
    adb push HotspotProvision.apk /system/app/
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/HotspotProvision.apk
    adb reboot

Again, you'll need adb root mentioned in the Root thread.