[HOWTO] [REF] (un)root your SGS I9000 the easy way (keep all your data) (Eclair 2.1)

Search This thread

BackfireNL

Nov 11, 2009
Haarlem
Tutorial -> Howto root your SGS the easy way (without software and still keep all your data and settings)

Because the lack of good tutorials i decided to write my own! (for n00bs)

This method will keep all your data and settings! this means the phone will not be factory resetted.
You won't need the Android SDK tools to go in recovery mode! or use Odin3

Reported to work on all firmwares!* (even simlocked devices and phones with voodoo fix etc) but use at your own risk! (it is pretty safe and foolproof!)
If you wan't to unroot (to avoid waranty problems) you can unroot your phone!

* This method is not working for Froyo 2.2 roms but if you do wan't to root JPH 2.2 click here! (Respect for Chainfire!)

* For people that don't have the 3 button combo i made a small script to boot in to recovery. See tutorial below

!!! Disclaimer: If you brick your phone it's your own problem! But it is fairly safe because you can still reflash your phone with Odin3
Only root your phone if you feel the need to! (like applying the lagfix or for use with certain backup apps)

ROOT includes:
- Superuser 2.3.6.1
- Busybox 1.16.0 (for use with Titanium Backup)

Automated Method!

This method works for phones with and without the 3 button combo!

Rooting works on the following models:
- I9000
- I9000M
- I9000B
- I9000T
- SGH-T959
- I5800
- I5801

Howto (un)root:
1. Download SGS Eclair Easy Rooting.zip
2. Unzip the directory somewhere
3. Open start.bat
4. Follow instructions

Manual Method!

Howto (un)root:
1. Download:
- 2.1 update.zip (For - I9000, I9000M, I9000B, I9000T, SGH-T959, I5800, I5801)
- UnRoot update.zip (this will remove your root completely and doesn't leave a trace!)
2. Put update.zip to root of /sdcard (not /sdcard/sd) (not on the physical SD card but the Internal SD card/Phone Memory)
3. Turn off phone
4. Hold down volume up + home button + power (tip: release the power button for half a second when you see the samsung logo)
Note: If you don't have the 3 button combo use the tutorial below (steps 4a - 4g).
5. Phone will reboot into recovery mode
6. Wait until you see the Recovery Screen and then release the buttons
7. With the volume down key go to the option: "apply: /sdcard/update.zip"
8. Press the home button
9. Phone will start updating
10. Phone reboots... and there you go! your phone is (un)rooted!

For people that don't have the 3 button combo i made a script and a quick tutorial for doing it with ADB

ADB reboot recovery:
4a) Download the easy reboot recovery.zip script and unzip it somewhere
4b) In your phone's settings make sure USB Debugging is on (in settings -> applications -> development)
4c) Connect phone with USB cable to pc
4d) Wait until all the drivers are installed
4e) Start reboot recovery.bat
4f) The phone will now start in recovery
4g) Follow step 7 of the normal tutorial

- If this does not work make sure USB debuging is enabled, kies is totally closed, the phone is connected and all the drivers are installed

FAQ!

Busybox FAQ

Lot's of people are asking about busybox. busybox is included in the update.zip. But it's not the latest version! See how you can get the correct version.

To update manually to the latest version:
1. Search market for: "Busybox or "Busy box"
2. Install busybox app
3. Update trough app
4. Press update in app
5. Accept Superuser request
6. Busybox is now updated and installed in system/xbin!

If you want to use Titanium Backup (it is recomended to use the busybox that comes with titanium backup)
1. Install Titanium Backup
2. Open Titanium Backup
3. Press the "Problems?" button
4. Press "Yes, do it"
5. Titanium Backup will now download and install the required busybox version

If you want to use a lagfix!
- Both the OneClickLagFix and CFLagFix 1.80 automatically push the correct BusyBox version to your phone

General FAQ:

- Help i get a status 7 error message!
This is because of your CSC! flash another CSC and you can root your phone! how? use the search button!

- I can't root because it the update.zip fails to apply in recovery mode and i have android 2.1:
This is because you are using a open CSC or a branded phone. So in order to fix this you need to reflash your firmware with the standard CSC and not a localized one.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=787163 Check this thread to change your CSC!

Reported CSC's that have rootprotection (if you have a root protected csc please report it):
- CSC_I9000OLBJG4
- CSC_I9000GVODDJG1

Reported working CSC's (report if yours is working)
- CSC_I9000OXAJM1
- CSC_I9000OXXJM1
- CSC_I9000ODDJG4
- CSC_I9000OJPJG1
- CSC_I9000GVD2JM3

Right now i can't do much about it since i have no rootprotected phone to make a workaround.... so small request lend or sponsor me a root protected phone :p

- If you are having problems please post your phones firmware and csc version (you can check it by typing *#1234#)

Updates!

UPDATES:

24-08-10: Superuser 2.3.4! (update the su binary through the app!)
27-08-10: Added easy reboot recovery script throug ADB for people that don't have the 3 button combo!
29-08-10: Included correct su binary
02-09-10: Added FAQ
09-09-10: Updated Superuser to 2.3.6.1
14-09-10: Added UnRoot update.zip! This will remove the ROOT completely and doesn't leave a trace! (same steps to unroot as to root just use different update.zip) (please delete update.zip after usage)
14-09-10: Updated Busybox to 1.16.0 for use with Titanium Backup
19-09-10: Added automated method! Very easy and usable for every n00b :)
19-09-10: Added topic to the Vibrant section with automated method!
20-09-10: Added support for I5801

Feel free to comment! or BUY me a BEER by clicking here! :D

Last edited:

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I will stick this for now, but will review it's sticky status as comments come in regarding this guide.

EDIT: Note, I make no claim to the correctness of this guide. I expect senior members to verify and comment on it's correctness, and/or propose additions/changes to it's content.

Last edited:

BackfireNL

Nov 11, 2009
Haarlem
I know! But those methods are not very clear for beginners (like me)

That's why i came up with this method! It's easy to apply and it won't factory reset your phone!

Darkstriker

Oct 19, 2009
i9100
OnePlus 2
I know! But those methods are not very clear for beginners (like me)

That's why i came up with this method! It's easy to apply and it won't factory reset your phone!

I added it here (since the procedure is identical to flashing a custom ROM, there wasn't much to change)

Edit: Sorry dat ik zo langzaam was met reageren op je PM. Maar je hebt het duidelijk wel snel zelf gevonden ;-)

Last edited:

BackfireNL

Nov 11, 2009
Haarlem
I added it here (since the procedure is identical to flashing a custom ROM, there wasn't much to change)

Edit: Sorry dat ik zo langzaam was met reageren op je PM. Maar je hebt het duidelijk wel snel zelf gevonden ;-)

Cool! Your thread is very helpfull! This is just a foolproof tutorial howto root your SGS (for dummies like me)

offtopic: Geeft niet! het is me gelukt! nu nog een grotere SD kaart en ff die "lagfix" erop knallen! Standaard rom is voor de rest prima!

BackfireNL

Nov 11, 2009
Haarlem
Uhm.. could a mod update the title to [TUT] Howto root your SGS I9000 the easy way (for dummies) (still keep all your data and settings)

Last edited:

sammy555

Jun 27, 2010
This is the method ive alwaas used as its the simplest and i didnt know how to use adb,decent of you to post it up for the new guys-I only got around to learning how to use adb last night and its quite a hassle first time.

BackfireNL

Nov 11, 2009
Haarlem
This is the method ive alwaas used as its the simplest and i didnt know how to use adb,decent of you to post it up for the new guys-I only got around to learning how to use adb last night and its quite a hassle first time.

I wish somebody would write a good tutorial for that! (not that i already searched for a good tut.)

I will start trying using adb as soon as i'm going to apply the lag/speedfix!
But first i need a bigger SD card!

damianarnold

Feb 5, 2008
Tutorial -> Howto root your SGS the easy way (without software and still keep all your data and settings)

This method will keep all your data and settings! this means the phone will not be factory resetted.

The method is tested on a Dutch SGS with firmware I9000XWJG5 (no simlock)

Reported to work on all firmwares! but use at your own risk! (it is pretty safe and foolproof!)

!!! Disclaimer: If you brick your phone it's your own problem! But it is fairly safe because you can still reflash your phone with Odin3
Only root your phone if you feel the need to! (like applying the lagfix)

Steps:
1. Download: update.zip (got it from samdroid.net)
2. Put update.zip to root of /sdcard (not /sdcard/sd)
3. Remove simcard and SD card (just to be sure)
4. Hold down volume up + home button + power
8. Press the home button
10. Phone reboots... and there you go! your phone is rooted!

Feel free to comment!

Points to raise:

1. You don't have to remove the SIM or SD card
2. You need to put some instruction for the installation of busybox, for example:

adb shell
su

< on the SGS you need to accept the Superuser request >

busybox --install -s /system/xbin

BackfireNL

Nov 11, 2009
Haarlem
Points to raise:

1. You don't have to remove the SIM or SD card
2. You need to put some instruction for the installation of busybox, for example:

adb shell
su

< on the SGS you need to accept the Superuser request >

busybox --install -s /system/xbin

Edited point 1.

And about busybox! busybox is already installed when you apply the update.zip!

If you wan't to update busybox or install it you can use the Busybox app from the market! (search busybox or busy box)

Then accept the superuser request!

damianarnold

Feb 5, 2008
Edited point 1.

And about busybox! busybox is already installed when you apply the update.zip!

If you wan't to update busybox or install it you can use the Busybox app from the market! (search busybox or busy box)

Then accept the superuser request!

Busybox is on the media but it isn't installed, if you don't do a 'proper' install you have to prefix every command with 'busybox' ie. 'busybox cp' to copy. Installing busybox into that directory ensures that all the busybox (standard linux commands) are present making life considerably easier for the various shell scripts that are available for the SGS.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Reported to work on all firmwares!* (even simlocked devices and phones with voodoo fix etc) but use at your own risk! (it is pretty safe and foolproof!)
    If you wan't to unroot (to avoid waranty problems) you can unroot your phone!

* This method is not working for Froyo 2.2 roms but if you do wan't to root JPH 2.2 click here! (Respect for Chainfire!)

* For people that don't have the 3 button combo i made a small script to boot in to recovery. See tutorial below

Only root your phone if you feel the need to! (like applying the lagfix or for use with certain backup apps)

ROOT includes:
    - Superuser 2.3.6.1
    - Busybox 1.16.0 (for use with Titanium Backup)

Automated Method!

This method works for phones with and without the 3 button combo!

Rooting works on the following models:
    - I9000
    - I9000M
    - I9000B
    - I9000T
    - SGH-T959
    - I5800
    - I5801

Howto (un)root:
    1. Download SGS Eclair Easy Rooting.zip
    2. Unzip the directory somewhere
    3. Open start.bat
    4. Follow instructions

Manual Method!

Howto (un)root:
    1. Download:
    - 2.1 update.zip (For - I9000, I9000M, I9000B, I9000T, SGH-T959, I5800, I5801)
    - UnRoot update.zip (this will remove your root completely and doesn't leave a trace!)
    2. Put update.zip to root of /sdcard (not /sdcard/sd) (not on the physical SD card but the Internal SD card/Phone Memory)
    3. Turn off phone
    4. Hold down volume up + home button + power (tip: release the power button for half a second when you see the samsung logo)
    Note: If you don't have the 3 button combo use the tutorial below (steps 4a - 4g).
    8. Press the home button
    10. Phone reboots... and there you go! your phone is (un)rooted!

For people that don't have the 3 button combo i made a script and a quick tutorial for doing it with ADB

ADB reboot recovery:
    4a) Download the easy reboot recovery.zip script and unzip it somewhere
    4b) In your phone's settings make sure USB Debugging is on (in settings -> applications -> development)
    4c) Connect phone with USB cable to pc
    4d) Wait until all the drivers are installed
    4e) Start reboot recovery.bat
    4f) The phone will now start in recovery
    4g) Follow step 7 of the normal tutorial

- If this does not work make sure USB debuging is enabled, kies is totally closed, the phone is connected and all the drivers are installed

FAQ!

Busybox FAQ

Lot's of people are asking about busybox. busybox is included in the update.zip. But it's not the latest version! See how you can get the correct version.

To update manually to the latest version:
    1. Search market for: "Busybox or "Busy box"
    2. Install busybox app
    3. Update trough app
    4. Press update in app
    5. Accept Superuser request
    6. Busybox is now updated and installed in system/xbin!

If you want to use Titanium Backup (it is recomended to use the busybox that comes with titanium backup)
    1. Install Titanium Backup
    2. Open Titanium Backup
    3. Press the "Problems?" button
    4. Press "Yes, do it"
    5. Titanium Backup will now download and install the required busybox version

If you want to use a lagfix!
    - Both the OneClickLagFix and CFLagFix 1.80 automatically push the correct BusyBox version to your phone

General FAQ:

- Help i get a status 7 error message!
    This is because of your CSC! flash another CSC and you can root your phone! how? use the search button!

- I can't root because it the update.zip fails to apply in recovery mode and i have android 2.1:
    This is because you are using a open CSC or a branded phone. So in order to fix this you need to reflash your firmware with the standard CSC and not a localized one.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=787163 Check this thread to change your CSC!

Reported CSC's that have rootprotection (if you have a root protected csc please report it):
    - CSC_I9000OLBJG4
    - CSC_I9000GVODDJG1

Reported working CSC's (report if yours is working)
    - CSC_I9000OXAJM1
    - CSC_I9000OXXJM1
    - CSC_I9000ODDJG4
    - CSC_I9000OJPJG1
    - CSC_I9000GVD2JM3

Right now i can't do much about it since i have no rootprotected phone to make a workaround.... so small request lend or sponsor me a root protected phone :p

- If you are having problems please post your phones firmware and csc version (you can check it by typing *#1234#)

Updates!

UPDATES:

24-08-10: Superuser 2.3.4! (update the su binary through the app!)
    27-08-10: Added easy reboot recovery script throug ADB for people that don't have the 3 button combo!
    29-08-10: Included correct su binary
    02-09-10: Added FAQ
    09-09-10: Updated Superuser to 2.3.6.1
    14-09-10: Added UnRoot update.zip! This will remove the ROOT completely and doesn't leave a trace! (same steps to unroot as to root just use different update.zip) (please delete update.zip after usage)
    14-09-10: Updated Busybox to 1.16.0 for use with Titanium Backup
    19-09-10: Added automated method! Very easy and usable for every n00b :)
    19-09-10: Added topic to the Vibrant section with automated method!
    20-09-10: Added support for I5801

Feel free to comment! or BUY me a BEER by clicking here! :D
    Cant seem to flash

Ey i have a question.

When i press the root combo (volume up + home and power)
    my phone goes into a reboot circle, and no matter how i change the timing on the buttons, i cant seem to get it started in Recover console.

Any ideas on what im doing wrong?

Version: XXJM2

Edit: also when i pres UP volume + Home and just slightly press the On button, it sits at the samsung screen for like 3/4 seconds and then just boots.

Im with vodavone and i have a subscription and i dont think its simlock free, could that be an issue?
    First, Thank you. This is the best method for rooting. Certainly for fisttimers.:)

But I have a question, when I try to unroot my device (Samsung GT - 5800). I get the same "trouble" as the person that I have quoted.

The reason that I want to unroot is because Froyo is finaly available.
    Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Lars

That's not a Galaxy S I9000. What are you doing in here?

In any case, go to www.samfirmware.com and download a stock rom, preferably one that your phone came with. Flash it. That will remove the root.