Freezes at ATT logo

Search This thread

lordblue969

Apr 18, 2014
I have an i747 and after a week of research and trail and error I was able to get back to a factory working phone. I wanted to share my findings so that the next person may get up and running a bit quicker. First off, my phone was never rooted. I was getting it ready to sell and was going to factory reset it when I realized I forgot the system password. So I installed Kies and proceeded to factor rest it there. For whatever reason the reset did not take and after several failed attempts with kies the phone began to boot in ODIN mode. I built a USB jig and was able to get back into download mode but nothing would bring it back to life. Downloading the official rom from sammobile and flashing with ODIN3.07 would fail every time. Emergency recovery in kies also failed. So here was my final approach that worked. Maybe the wrong way to do this, maybe the long way to do it.. IDK.. but it worked for me..
1) get the official Samsung files from kies (google -"does kies store firmware")
2) boot do download mode
3) flash CSC file with auto reboot and F. reset time checked
4) boot do download mode
5) flash PDA file with auto reboot and F. reset time checked
6) boot do download mode
7) flash Modem file with auto reboot and F. reset time checked
* I closed ODIN between each step, might be overkill.
** I did not flash the bootloader file
I have read that it takes a long time the first boot, and I have been waiting 15 minutes at the SAMSUNG screen but it is still pulsing so i think it is still processing. If it is still at this screen in the morning, I will let you all know but this is further than I have been in over a week.

On a side note, when it crashed I took this into AT&T they told me over the past month or so they have seen numerous people with the same issue. All from doing a factor rest in Kies. My phone was out of warranty and they barely looked at it before asking me to upgrade. I took it to BestBuy and they fixed it from booting to ODIN mode but it still locked up on the AT&T logo, so I was back to square one.

DMF1977

Jan 16, 2013
Somewhere in Indiana
Food for thought. How about waiting to see if your instructions actually work on your phone before posting them here for people with similar issues to use. Kind of useless if it doesn't end up working, huh?:confused:

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have an i747 and after a week of research and trail and error I was able to get back to a factory working phone. I wanted to share my findings so that the next person may get up and running a bit quicker. First off, my phone was never rooted. I was getting it ready to sell and was going to factory reset it when I realized I forgot the system password. So I installed Kies and proceeded to factor rest it there. For whatever reason the reset did not take and after several failed attempts with kies the phone began to boot in ODIN mode. I built a USB jig and was able to get back into download mode but nothing would bring it back to life. Downloading the official rom from sammobile and flashing with ODIN3.07 would fail every time. Emergency recovery in kies also failed. So here was my final approach that worked. Maybe the wrong way to do this, maybe the long way to do it.. IDK.. but it worked for me..
1) get the official Samsung files from kies (google -"does kies store firmware")
2) boot do download mode
4) boot do download mode
6) boot do download mode
I have read that it takes a long time the first boot, and I have been waiting 15 minutes at the SAMSUNG screen but it is still pulsing so i think it is still processing. If it is still at this screen in the morning, I will let you all know but this is further than I have been in over a week.

On a side note, when it crashed I took this into AT&T they told me over the past month or so they have seen numerous people with the same issue. All from doing a factor rest in Kies. My phone was out of warranty and they barely looked at it before asking me to upgrade. I took it to BestBuy and they fixed it from booting to ODIN mode but it still locked up on the AT&T logo, so I was back to square one.

Seems a pretty long route to take. If you are on an Odin flashable firmware version (e.g. 4.1.1), you only need to flash one partition - PDA. This updates all partitions to stock including bootloader, modem, recovery, kernel. The newer firmware versions - 4.1.2 & 4.3 are, however, not Odin flashable. Also, if you couldn't do a factory reset from settings because of password issues, you could have booted into recovery mode and done a factory reset there. This wouldn't require a password and would still have the same effect of wiping data and returning to factory settings.

If your phone is stuck at the Samsung screen for 15 minutes, then it's stuck. Reboot into recovery mode and try a reset there. If this doesn't work, then it means you have a soft brick you need to restore your firmware via custom recovery. Your phone is never hard bricked when you can get to download and recovery modes. Flash custom recovery via Odin in download mode. Reboot to custom recovery and flash a clean, complete stock image for 4.3. That's your best option now since you are selling

Reactions: DMF1977

lordblue969

Apr 18, 2014
Seems a pretty long route to take. If you are on an Odin flashable firmware version (e.g. 4.1.1), you only need to flash one partition - PDA. This updates all partitions to stock including bootloader, modem, recovery, kernel. The newer firmware versions - 4.1.2 & 4.3 are, however, not Odin flashable. Also, if you couldn't do a factory reset from settings because of password issues, you could have booted into recovery mode and done a factory reset there. This wouldn't require a password and would still have the same effect of wiping data and returning to factory settings.

If your phone is stuck at the Samsung screen for 15 minutes, then it's stuck. Reboot into recovery mode and try a reset there. If this doesn't work, then it means you have a soft brick you need to restore your firmware via custom recovery. Your phone is never hard bricked when you can get to download and recovery modes. Flash custom recovery via Odin in download mode. Reboot to custom recovery and flash a clean, complete stock image for 4.3. That's your best option now since you are selling

So like the true repository of knowledge we have here, Larry you are correct.. After about 30 minutes I decided it was really stuck.. So this time I watched the process I described above a bit more closely and as you stated the PDA file is all i needed.. but I had tried several from different sources including the office from sammobile and they always crashed. So what eventually worked for me was after being stuck at the samsung logo...
I booted into recovery mode
wiped the cache
factory reset it
then flashed with the Kies PDA file that I obtained in Kies in emergency recover mode.
This finally worked.
and as stated was a shorter route to take. The PDA that i used had 4.1.1 on it.
Thanks for the clarification in the fact that flashing with the PDA takes care of the bootloader, cache, file system, etc.

lordblue969

Apr 18, 2014
Still having issues

Ok, keepers of knowledge.. I have a phone that will boot up but I have no baseband version. It shows unknown.. I have tried just flashing the modem file but i still do not get it back.. if I try to flash anything other than the official files from kies, ODIN fails. My phone is now at 4.1.1, build JR003L.I747UCDLK3.

If I try to update via wifi with the software updater, it says I am up to date. If I try to update with Kies, it fails..

I am at a loss...

Please help..

Thanks in advance..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2) boot do download mode
    4) boot do download mode
    6) boot do download mode