[Q] SK4G dropping keystrokes randomly

Search This thread

khaldood

Jan 22, 2011
I've been looking around for any mentions of this for a while now, but i only found vague mentions of it a while back. I thought it'll eventually get fixed in one of the custom roms.

I'm starting to think this is an isolated case since no one is mentioning it at all. (or it's me going crazy. i hope not.)

When trying the key test in the recovery, it doesn't seem to drop anything at all, but when booting android, it drops whenever i type fast enough.

Can anyone confirm whether or not their phone drops keys randomly when typing?

ReActiveDisorder

Apr 12, 2012
I've been looking around for any mentions of this for a while now, but i only found vague mentions of it a while back. I thought it'll eventually get fixed in one of the custom roms.

I'm starting to think this is an isolated case since no one is mentioning it at all. (or it's me going crazy. i hope not.)

When trying the key test in the recovery, it doesn't seem to drop anything at all, but when booting android, it drops whenever i type fast enough.

Can anyone confirm whether or not their phone drops keys randomly when typing?

It is fixed in my cm merged v2.0.0

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

khaldood

Jan 22, 2011
i am using CM merged 2.0.0 and it's still dropping.

but if it's really fixed, maybe it's something i installed? will do a clean install and report back

afr33sl4ve

Dec 17, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I know that the stock ROM did this (KG2, and KJ2), and my install of GOv2 does this, as well.

I'm just waiting for some extra time to get CMv2 installed.

khaldood

Jan 22, 2011
interestingly enough, the Samsung Epic 4G also had dropped keystrokes issues. But this one seems to be a different problem.

On the SK4G, keys are dropped at random when typing fast.

on the E4G, keys are dropped when repeating the same character quickly (eg. hello, according to that post anyway)

yeah... just figured id offer the only advice i could, aside from his device being messed up. i think its still worth a shot

well, thanks for the attempt, but it's still the same. I doubt it's hardware-related, since the keytest in recovery isn't dropping keys.

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, the Epic 4G was WAY worse lol. I actually contacted the dev. that pretty much fixed the problem on the Epic, and he was curious and took a look at the SK. He said indeed that the SK shouldn't suffer nearly the same keyboard woes. But he did make a little patch for us anyway, to try and improve some other stuff, but it was never put into a kernel I don't think.

I do get a missed keystroke on this device every now and then, but not too often.

khaldood

Jan 22, 2011
Yeah, the Epic 4G was WAY worse lol. I actually contacted the dev. that pretty much fixed the problem on the Epic, and he was curious and took a look at the SK. He said indeed that the SK shouldn't suffer nearly the same keyboard woes. But he did make a little patch for us anyway, to try and improve some other stuff, but it was never put into a kernel I don't think.

Sounds good. I wonder what happened to that patch though, and whether or not it worked.

I do get a missed keystroke on this device every now and then, but not too often.

Well, i noticed it happens VERY randomly. sometimes it's just once every 10 messages in gtalk, sometimes, it hits twice or thrice in a single message. drives me crazy :/

yogi2010

Dec 22, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Lol, I hear ya. That patch was posted, possibly even in the thread you linked, so it might still be there. Sduvick didn't feel motivated to add it to a kernel, and even tho it is simple, my patching skills were limited, so it never got tested.

I'll see if I can find where the interaction took place, and see if the patch link is still good.

azcledel

Jun 20, 2011
Boston
This is me typing as fast as I can I drop keystrokes all the tim but it only seems to be the e the g and sometimes t I think its a hardware problem I'm not looking at the screen at all so you can see where the keystrokes might be dropping also I've had sidekicks since 2007 so I'm used to the full keyboard and typing extremely fast on it lol lalalalalala typey typey typey...

And now a few 4 letter words typed 20 tmes in a row watch for drops

Time time time time time time time time time time tim time time time time time time time time time

Ding ding ding ding din ding ding ding ding ding digng ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt

And there you have it looking back on this post now I dropped a total of 2 e's and 1 g.

Currently running reactives cm6 merge v 2.1.0

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA

khaldood

Jan 22, 2011
as i've said, it drops them VERY randomly. And for some reason, it doesn't drop, or at least as much as during regular use, when you start testing for drops. That, or maybe we're testing it wrong.

In my case, I'm getting drops on seemingly all of the keys. Sometimes on T. Sometimes Space. Sometimes even Return. etc.

Can anyone else test in the recovery key test under advanced just to make sure it's not hardware related?

nxd

Oct 19, 2011
Tucson, AZ

If you can find the patch, I will try to integrate it into my kernel.

Reactions: yogi2010

nxd

Oct 19, 2011
Tucson, AZ
i am using CM merged 2.0.0 and it's still dropping.

but if it's really fixed, maybe it's something i installed? will do a clean install and report back

Just to be sure, would you check what kernel version shows up under Settings -> About Phone?

I'm wondering if perhaps sometimes, the kernel is failing to flash.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

good news, the post was easy to find, and the patch is still there!

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16096212&postcount=79

this was back in the days of KD1, but i hope it could still be of use to us.
    good news, the post was easy to find, and the patch is still there!

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16096212&postcount=79

this was back in the days of KD1, but i hope it could still be of use to us.

Thanks. I should know in a day or two whether it's an easy integration.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using xda premium
    Thanks. I should know in a day or two whether it's an easy integration.

It turns out it was quite easy to integrate.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26324759#post26324759

Note that the key feature of this patch is that it makes the column and timer delays adjustable. The default settings may or may not be particularly good or suitable for your usage. I encourage interested individuals to experiment with the timings and report their results.

From the Kconfig help text:

The current delays may be read with:

cat /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/column_delay
    cat /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay

and new delays may be set with:

echo C > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/column_delay
    echo T > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay

where C is the column-switch delay (µs) and T the timer delay (jiffies).

A timer delay of "1" yields the shortest timer, and the most responsive keypad possible, whereas a delay of HZ (e.g., "256") is the longest allowed. For HZ=256, a delay of "2" (HZ/100) is default.

A column-switch delay of "1" is the most efficient (0.1% CPU util.) but results in ghost key presses across columns (rows). The default "300" is very inefficient, 34.6% CPU util., for a timer delay of "2". Try if values of "50" (5.8% CPU) or even "5" (0.6% CPU) work well without ghosting. This delay affects efficiency only, not responsiveness.