[Q] [Soft Brick] Bootloop after installing custom boot animation (Chainfire's logcat)

Search This thread

shiinkotheone

Nov 25, 2012
Hello!
I purchased the tablet (SM-P600 WiFi model) a few months back. I rooted when I bought and it was working without any problems, but today I tried to install this "boot animation", and it put my device into a soft brick. When I try to boot the device, first the initial Samsung logo shows up, then it's just blank screen without any sound and after a while (by the time device would normall boot), it justs restarts again and repeats the same thing again. I am able to access recovery (TWRP, installed it and made first backup 2 days ago) and download mode as well.

I've tried to recover backup I made 2 days ago (fully working) but it doesn't fix anything. The bootloop continues.

To clarify some things, I'm running on 4.3 (MJ6) stock, flashed SELinux Permissive kernel yesterday, but it was working fine until now.

This is the actual boot "animation": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat
I installed, and after trying to reboot, the bootloop problems started

I hope you can help me :) Thank you in advance.

shiinkotheone

Nov 25, 2012
After some fiddling around, finally downloading stock firmware (slow wifi here) from sammobile.com and flashing it with ODIN, I've recovered from the bootloop. I am still interested though in why it happened in the first place. Can anyone please provide me with some insight ?

Thank you anyway ;)

shiinkotheone

Nov 25, 2012
After trying to restore backup from 2 days ago (which was working perfectly fine), there again is no boot animation after initial boot logo, no sound, but if I press power key and any of the capacitive touch buttons, home key, etc., the tablet vibrates but nothing appears on the screen. It's getting kind of weird.

EDIT:
I just tried flashing stock firmware again, and after only restoring /data/, things like home button, capacitive buttons, Settings button in Quick Settings/Notification etc. don't work. Can anyone help me with restoring the data I had from that working backup?

Last edited:

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
Titanium Backup can extract apps and data from TWRP/CWM backups. It's kind of a slow process, but it works.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

shiinkotheone

Nov 25, 2012
Titanium Backup can extract apps and data from TWRP/CWM backups. It's kind of a slow process, but it works.

I actually tried that, I have PRO version of Titanium Backup, but it only found a SINGLE app from the whole working backup (About 7GB). I also tried Nandroid Backup Explorer which only found one app (with data) as well, most of the others (some were even totally missing) had no data at all. After manually examining the backup, there actually was only 1 app data folder in /data/data/. No WiFI settings or anything else either.

So I have the tablet restored with most of the apps. But every single one of them (except one that doesn't even hold any permanent data that I know of) has lost their data. I have since flashed CWM because it always worked for me.

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
At least you're up and running again. I tried this logcat app (over a year ago) on my N10 and my N7, both got a bootloop as well.

Shaurya007

May 30, 2014
Hello!
I purchased the tablet (SM-P600 WiFi model) a few months back. I rooted when I bought and it was working without any problems, but today I tried to install this "boot animation", and it put my device into a soft brick. When I try to boot the device, first the initial Samsung logo shows up, then it's just blank screen without any sound and after a while (by the time device would normall boot), it justs restarts again and repeats the same thing again. I am able to access recovery (TWRP, installed it and made first backup 2 days ago) and download mode as well.

I've tried to recover backup I made 2 days ago (fully working) but it doesn't fix anything. The bootloop continues.

To clarify some things, I'm running on 4.3 (MJ6) stock, flashed SELinux Permissive kernel yesterday, but it was working fine until now.

This is the actual boot "animation": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat
I installed, and after trying to reboot, the bootloop problems started

I hope you can help me :) Thank you in advance.

just do a factory reset..;)
and if u have made a backup using titanium then u will b able to recover the lost apps too..:)

★PLEASE DONT FORGET TO PRESS THANKS★