[Q] Stuck at bootloader screen

Search This thread

ripdarkness

Jan 17, 2012
Chattanooga
So, I've exhausted just about every bit of time looking, searching, and trying everything to get my Droid 2 back working again. I'll explain everything I've tried plus the current error messages I'm getting and see if someone else can help.

Before we start, yes, I do have the current moto drivers (plus old drivers too). Yes, I've uninstalled, reinstalled the drivers and RSDLite a million times, and yes, I've rebooted after installing everything to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Right now, I've flashed the bootloader back to d2.35. But I can flash back to d2.37.

Using RSDLite, every time I flash it doesn't make it past the BP pass through mode. Right as soon as it gets to it, the computer disconnects the phone, and on the phone is says:

SW update...
Complete

And when it reboots it is still at the bootloader screen. I load into recovery, and it tells me that:

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log

Once I wipe cache/factory reset, I reboot and it still goes to bootloader screen.
So, I load into recovery again, and this time it gives me the error:

E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

I've used RSDLite 4.7+patch and flashed, same thing.
I've used RSDLite 4.8/4.9/5.6 and so on, everytime, same thing.

I've burned the Linux iso to disc, booted that up, and flashed that way, same results.

I think that pretty much sums everything up. I've searched every forum, I've googled everything about the phone known to man. Usually I just silently lurk the forums since I've never encountered a problem flashing any other phone, but this one has me stumped. Thanks ahead for any information.

Albinoman

Jul 31, 2011
Seattle
Google Pixel Fold
Ok and what were you trying to flash when it broke?

EDIT: that is the correct sbf but you might want to check the md5

Sent from my EncounterICS droid 2

Last edited:

ripdarkness

Jan 17, 2012
Chattanooga
I'll check the md5 tonight, didnt think about that. And what was i trying to flash..? And mount it in a linux terminal?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

ripdarkness

Jan 17, 2012
Chattanooga
The only md5's I can find of the file to verify it with say that it's incorrect. I'm trying several different downloads now to see if I can find one that matches. Anyone have a working sbf that I can check my md5 with theirs just to make sure?

ripdarkness

Jan 17, 2012
Chattanooga
MD5 checks out now, flashed on Windows XP, still fails at BP pass through, and tried again on Windows 7, still fails at BP pass through. I honestly have no idea what's going on with it. I know the phone disconnects right as soon as it hits BP pass through mode. Then, it reboots the phone saying it's complete, then I pull battery, then wipe/erase, and still goes to bootloader. On the screen it shows:

WinXP:
Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Error switching phone to BP Pass through mode [0x70BE]: phone disconnected
Win7:
Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Error switching phone to BP Pass through mode [0x70BE]: phone connected

Is there any config settings that need to be specified? Or is the phone just a complete paper weight now?

Jesushaxyou

Oct 30, 2011
Philadelphia
I'm not sure exactly. I've never used RSDLite. I've only ever flashed on Linux.

Are you able to wipe Dalvik cache just to be sure? Also, just as a fail safe, if you have an SD card in there take it out.

Here's what I found:

Computer engineer here. Registered so I could post this and hopefully help a few of you guys out

I was running into the same problem, with Win7 x64, RSD Lite 4.6, latest drivers. Did some investigation into the error log and looks like I found a bug in their programming. Go into the directory you installed RSD Lite (for Win7 x64 the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\) and look for a file that starts with "FlashErrorLog". Open it, and if you see something like this:

Code:
Line: 865
ERROR: \\?\c:\SPRecovery_ESE81.sbfwtƒyoþÿÿÿ‚qawñrawðiµ was not found.
File: X:\test_dev_usb\flash\code\flashdll\PST_FP_FlashFileIO.cpp

then you are experiencing this same bug that I had (looks like adr3nalin3 had this problem too). For those fellow programmers out there, looks like they are copying the filename into uninitialized memory and not explicitly adding the NULL terminator, meaning it's pure luck whether the filename is recognized or not. Since the uninitialized memory produces random results, this explains why people have had it work after restarting their computer, trying several times, using a different computer, etc. Hopefully if you follow my instructions below, you will be able to make it work right away.

So the work around for this problem is to rename the file so that the real filename overwrites all the unwanted junk characters at the end. These junk characters are random, and they are likely to change each time you open RSD Lite.

Here are step by step instructions:
Go to the folder where you installed RSD Lite
Delete any files that start with "FlashErrorLog"
Right click on "SDL.exe" and click "Run As Administrator"
Move your recovery file to the root C:\ directory
Rename the recovery file to something short, like "r.sbf", so that you will have space left for the filename to overwrite the junk characters
Try flashing the file with RSD Lite - it will most likely fail, don't worry (if it works then good job, you are lucky )
In the RSD Lite folder, open the newly created FlashErrorLog... file
Count the number of junk characters after the real filename - for example if you have this error:

Code:
ERROR: \\?\c:\r.sbfqawñraï was not found.

then the junk characters are "qawñraï" and there are 7 of them, so we are going to add 7 extra letters to the real filename
Rename the file to add the same number of letters/numbers as junk characters in the log file. In this case, we need to add 7, so change the filename to something like "r1234567.sbf" - make sure you add the characters BEFORE the file extension (".sbf"), not after!
Point RSD Lite to the renamed file, click Start, and it should work!

Note that some of the junk characters can't be displayed in the log, so there might actually be 8 of them when you can only see 7, etc. Just repeat the process from step 6, adding 1 character at a time (don't remove any), and it should work after a few tries.

Note that just making the filename really long won't work, you need to be precise so that you only overwrite the extra stuff, nothing more and nothing less.

I hope that works for ya. Different phone, but same idea.

ripdarkness

Jan 17, 2012
Chattanooga
I already tried that. It didnt work for me. Still get the same error messages as i stated in OP and after i wipe data it still boots to the bootloader.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
MD5 checks out now, flashed on Windows XP, still fails at BP pass through, and tried again on Windows 7, still fails at BP pass through. I honestly have no idea what's going on with it. I know the phone disconnects right as soon as it hits BP pass through mode. Then, it reboots the phone saying it's complete, then I pull battery, then wipe/erase, and still goes to bootloader. On the screen it shows:

WinXP:
Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Error switching phone to BP Pass through mode [0x70BE]: phone disconnected
Win7:
Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Error switching phone to BP Pass through mode [0x70BE]: phone connected

Is there any config settings that need to be specified? Or is the phone just a complete paper weight now?
read
http://droid.koumakan.jp/wiki/SBF
it's for the 2 global but should still work

also try deleting rsd lite error log
program files/motorola/rsdlite/ flasherrorlog11_15_24_45.log
yours will be different

ripdarkness

Jan 17, 2012
Chattanooga
Yeah, I don't know what it is. I think it's pretty much bricked. Nothings worked, and nothings even remotely came close to fixing it. I've tried everything. The only thing I notice is as soon as it hits BP pass through, the phone gets disconnected, and it doesn't reconnect till the phone reboots after saying:

SW update...
Complete.

And then it reboots into bootloader. So whatever it is, it's something to do with that.