Captivate - Best Samsung's design of ALL time?

Search This thread

aluvn

Mar 2, 2012
Everyone knows that among the Galaxy S line-up, our Cappy has the best design and built quality. At first, I was about to ignore the whole Galaxy S series just because the international version looks so iPhone-wannabe. When AT&T released the Cappy, I was really impressed with its design, and when it comes to real life I'm even more impressed with how elegant it is. The metal back makes it less er... cheap to me. So I decided to get one and I'm still loving every bit of my Cappy till today.

Samsung have just released the Galaxy S III. Some Cappy owners might feel sad because they realize that their phone is now outdated compared to new technology. But there's one thing that any other Samsung phones is inferior to our Captivate. You know what it is: the design. I can proudly and loudly say that the Captivate beats the GS III in terms of design. Personally, I think Captivate is Samsung's best design of all time. I'm not saying that because I'm a Captivate owner. Just because... it really is! The only reason holding me back from buying any other Samsung phones is their design. I love Super Amoled screens. I love their high quality/performance SoC. But their designs are just... bad. Especially when the whole thing is made of plastic.

So that's my personal opinions on the Captivate, Samsung and their designs. Post your opinion & let me see what you think :)

jcjcc

Sep 13, 2010
I agree and I think that's why a lot of us (myself included) are looking at the HTC One X.

Reactions: JBM12G

ficklecycler

Jan 29, 2011
I agree with you. Samsung, and some other asian companies are too conservative with the design that goes in to these products. The technology may be cutting edge, and the processors blistering fast, but if it looks like a rounded bar of soap, they've missed an opportunity. This isn't the future I'm paying for!

Design is among the most important factors when it comes to brand recognition and perception of quality. SO putting in the effort on the design side of things will distance them from the competition and make a stand out product really feel high end. That said, I love the one x. Its gorgeous in white, and that polycarbonate body is a-mazing. HTC's main design studio (called one&co) is in America right in SF.

doreyu

Dec 19, 2010
Maybe we'll get a new design for the US this time around, too. That would be awesome. I still like the design now, but I agree, the Cappy > all other SGS designs.

pizz0wn3d

Dec 27, 2010
Summerville, SC
Maybe we'll get a new design for the US this time around, too. That would be awesome. I still like the design now, but I agree, the Cappy > all other SGS designs.

This is what I'm hoping for. I probably get it either way, but damnit, the design of our captivates are just so superior. I love the way the battery cover is held in and the overall symmetry of the device (no extra thickness on one end of the phone, camera is flush with the device etc).

Honestly I would be happy if I could shove all of the SGS3 hardware & features into my captivate and keep it for two more years. Probably would have to scale it up a bit to make room for that 4.8" display though lol.

Herp derp Captivate XDA Premium App.

faroid

Aug 17, 2010
I agree the captivate has a great unique design. I just wish it comes in silver or light metallic color...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

aluvn

Mar 2, 2012
Hope AT&T can do the magic on the GS III, like they did with the Captivate. At least from what I see, all Samsung phones on US Carriers have capacitive touch button instead of plastic one so we can get rid of that ugly home button on the GS III.

mrx_rf

Dec 12, 2010
Agreed!!! The design very unique and very rare in my country. Till now, every time I take out my phone people will impress. And we're lucky to have great developer still develop great rom for us.

Credit to vibrant turk. Love ur rom.

p/s: i'm from malaysia

Reactions: Simba501

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
Have to agree the cappy has its uniqueness to it that makes it stand out from the rest. And the fact I'm running cm9 nightly I'm satisfied for my Android needs as of now! Just wish it would have gotten flash like the fascinate only thing I don't like about cappy.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

pizz0wn3d

Dec 27, 2010
Summerville, SC
Have to agree the cappy has its uniqueness to it that makes it stand out from the rest. And the fact I'm running cm9 nightly I'm satisfied for my Android needs as of now! Just wish it would have gotten flash like the fascinate only thing I don't like about cappy.

... Then install flash from the market? Works fine on my phone.

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
camera flash etc

even cheapest soapbox camera will beat any camera on the phone. zoom? aperture? exposure? notably absent.

acidflush

May 10, 2012
San Francisco
My Captivate went through the washing machine. On month 4 of my 24 month contract.

Disassembled as much as I could, dried it out for a few days, and it powered up like a charm. Even made phone calls and data, but the battery died in an hour. Replaced the battery and all works well, with the exception of WiFi and Bluetooth. Tried to get it fixed, but several repair folk told me that the wifi and BT chip are part of the board and could not be replaced. 3 of these repair shops told me that it's only a matter of time before the phone stops working. Well, that was well over a year ago and the Cappy is still going strong.

Will be replacing it soon enough with a no-contract Galaxy Nexus. It was good while it lasted :)

ravingrho

Nov 8, 2011
Lagos
It's design is different and it doesn't feel "cheap" but I don't think that's worth losing the LED flash, front facing camera and FM Radio (even access to more custom ROMs). Just saying

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

KF4MS

Dec 9, 2008
Only thing missing are notification led's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

Planswalker89

Jan 7, 2011
I have to agree. I have a galaxy s 3 now because my cappy is on its last legs, but I loved the design of that phone. While I do like the design of the gs3 too sometimes I wish it was designed a little more like the captivate or something like that.

Ah well, maybe we'll see something like it appearing in the future. I hope so at least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

fermata_

Mar 27, 2012
Size-wise, I think it is a great phone. All the newer Android models seem to get larger and larger, but I think for my purposes, it does not need to get any bigger.

Plus, the amount of attention in development that this phone gets is amazing. I am happy I bought one!

topiratiko

Dec 22, 2010
Only thing missing are notification led's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

BLN. Best notification led ever! Agreed...stunning design...build quality though is trash. If I EVER hear "GPS signal lost" again ill puke.

Sent from my Galaxy S Captivate on Slim Rom 4.2 powered by Semaphore 1.2.6sc. Project BUTTER

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I still miss the design of my Captivate :(. It was riddled with issues and low ram though. I've found solace in the Galaxy S2 (i777); I hate the way the GS3 looks :mad:.
    I agree and I think that's why a lot of us (myself included) are looking at the HTC One X.
    Agreed!!! The design very unique and very rare in my country. Till now, every time I take out my phone people will impress. And we're lucky to have great developer still develop great rom for us.

Credit to vibrant turk. Love ur rom.

p/s: i'm from malaysia
    Not adobe flash, led flash for camera like the Verizon fascinate has!

Oh lol. Well, yeah, that's a valid point.

The Captivate is by far the best phone I've ever owned because of all the before mentioned things... design, and development... wish it had an led flash as well, but still the best phone ive ever owned....