[Q] Sudden Death - please help! How to fix?

Search This thread

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Hi,

My SM-N90005, was rooted on 4.3.3 (polish fw) from day 1 and worked perfectly. No glitches, no problems (except an externalSD memory write problem).

This night it died while under charge, for no reason. On forums I read it's called Sudden Death Syndrome and it's quite common to Note 3 but I could not find a fix exceppt to ship it back to Samsung for a replacement. I read of fixes for Note 2 and S3 etc but not for my model.

Has anyone found a fix for the Note 3 SM-n9005 SDS?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tommaso

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
4.3.3 ... no problems (except an externalSD memory write problem).

This doesn't match. Android 4.3 never had any limitations regarding writing to external SD card.

Are you sure, that you have the SDS? From what I have heard/seen, this was fixed on Note 2 by software updates and hasn't occurred on Note 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: ascanio1

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
This doesn't match. Android 4.3 never had any limitations regarding writing to external SD card. Are you sure, that you have the SDS? From what I have heard/seen, this was fixed on Note 2 by software updates and hasn't occurred on Note 3.
My mistake. It is 4.4.3
I am not sure that it is an SDS, I am sure that it's dead!
:(
Tommaso

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Where did you get 4.4.3 from already? What happens when you try to boot up the phone? I need details.
First of all thanks for helping.
It is an official polish 4.4.3 downlaoded from Samobile and flashed using Odin
I cannot boot the phone.
It is completely dead.
No download mode. No charging light. Nothing at all. completely dead.

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
I can't find such firmware, nor have I seen any 4.4.3 being released to any Samsung phone at all (4.4.3 was released only short time ago, unrealistlic that Samsung phones would have update so quickly).

Last edited:

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Sorry. I was right first time. It have official 4.3.3 (not 4.4.3)
I had ExtSD card memory problems you can find my posts everywhere (username: ascanio1)

Anyway, my problem has nothing to do with ExtSD card memory problems as those were long fixed (in Fenruary) and everything worked perfectly since.

Last edited:

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Hi,

My SM-N90005, was rooted on 4.3.3 (polish fw) from day 1 and worked perfectly. No glitches, no problems (except an externalSD memory write problem).

This night it died while under charge, for no reason. On forums I read it's called Sudden Death Syndrome and it's quite common to Note 3 but I could not find a fix exceppt to ship it back to Samsung for a replacement. I read of fixes for Note 2 and S3 etc but not for my model.

Has anyone found a fix for the Note 3 SM-n9005 SDS?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tommaso

When did the Note 3 ever get SDS? I heard they were fixed on Note 2's 4.2.2 firmware. (My phone never had SDS :)

BUT if what u say is true and your phone has SDS (which is unlikely), your only hope is Samsung service centre (if u still have warranty, that it) or JTAG (I think it works)

This doesn't match. Android 4.3 never had any limitations regarding writing to external SD card.

Are you sure, that you have the SDS? From what I have heard/seen, this was fixed on Note 2 by software updates and hasn't occurred on Note 3.

SDS was fixed in 4.2.2 Note 2 FYI.

P.S. Kitkat SD card write limitation is bull****. Why limit it? Jeez...

N7105 rocking AOSB with AGNi kernel,
Sent from a small country named Singapore.
Click "Thanks" if I was of any help!

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Thanks for the help.

When did the Note 3 ever get SDS? .... BUT if what u say is true and your phone has SDS (which is unlikely), ....
I searched online for the same symptoms and that's why I said it has SDS. Call it what you like but the phone is dead for no apparent reason!

your only hope is Samsung service centre (if u still have warranty, that it)
Yes I have warranty but Samsung HK are stupid as capibara! They refuse courier delivery paid by me. They expect me to fly from Japan to HK for "personal delivery" which is not mentioned anywhere in the warranty... thinking of asking my comsumer rights lawyer friend to handle this warranty refusal.

or JTAG (I think it works)
What's JTAG? Is it this: http://www.windriver.com/products/JTAG-debugging/? If it is it's over my head.

P.S. Kitkat SD card write limitation is bull****. Why limit it? Jeez...
I agree! It drives me crazy!

Sent from a small country named Singapore.
By the way... what's it like to work and live in Singapore? I've been offered to move to HK or SP... have to chose one...

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Thanks for the help.

I searched online for the same symptoms and that's why I said it has SDS. Call it what you like but the phone is dead for no apparent reason!

Yes I have warranty but Samsung HK are stupid as capibara! They refuse courier delivery paid by me. They expect me to fly from Japan to HK for "personal delivery" which is not mentioned anywhere in the warranty... thinking of asking my comsumer rights lawyer friend to handle this warranty refusal.

What's JTAG? Is it this: http://www.windriver.com/products/JTAG-debugging/? If it is it's over my head.

I agree! It drives me crazy!

By the way... what's it like to work and live in Singapore? I've been offered to move to HK or SP... have to chose one...

Personal delivery? That's plain stupid. You should probably ask your friend to sue Samsung HK lol.
That's (probably) the JTAG I was talking about.
Singapore? Just a few words. Convenient. Hot. Expensive (?). Safe. If u don't mind expensive stuff (Singapore has been rated at the most expensive country to live in lol), I would say come to Singapore.

EDIT: Having hols in China right now so... yea. (China y u ban Google :mad: )

P.S. phones bought in Singapore are (almost) never carrier locked, region locked or bootloader locked. :)

Sent from the "China who bans Google"

vndnguyen

Sep 11, 2009
Vinnitsa
First of all thanks for helping.
It is an official polish 4.4.3 downlaoded from Samobile and flashed using Odin
I cannot boot the phone.
It is completely dead.
No download mode. No charging light. Nothing at all. completely dead.

Might be the battery was completely exhausted?

Try to connect the charger for at least 30 minutes?

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Personal delivery? That's plain stupid. You should probably ask your friend to sue Samsung HK lol.
Yeah... but in the meanwhile I need a replacement. What's the best or closest competitor to the Note 3 (same size & specs) in your opinion?

Singapore? Just a few words. Convenient. Hot. Expensive (?). Safe. If u don't mind expensive stuff (Singapore has been rated at the most expensive country to live in lol), I would say come to Singapore.
I live in Tokyo... I doubt that there's any place more expensive than Tokyo! Anywhere in the world will seem cheap after Tokyo! It's the hot and humd that annoys me... but HK... might be the same...

P.S. phones bought in Singapore are (almost) never carrier locked, region locked or bootloader locked. :)
I had a really bad experience with a HK Note 3 SM-N9005 bought from imobilePhonex: I found out that it was not HK or International Model as claimed and that the warranty was only valid in some middle eastern country... the retailer asked me 300US$ to handle the warranty... DOUH ?!?!?! what warranty is it if I have to pay 3 big ones?

Do you know of any good or trust worthy online shops from Singapore where to buy phones from?

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Yeah... but in the meanwhile I need a replacement. What's the best or closest competitor to the Note 3 (same size & specs) in your opinion?

I would say LG G3?

I live in Tokyo... I doubt that there's any place more expensive than Tokyo! Anywhere in the world will seem cheap after Tokyo! It's the hot and humd that annoys me... but HK... might be the same...

I had a really bad experience with a HK Note 3 SM-N9005 bought from imobilePhonex: I found out that it was not HK or International Model as claimed and that the warranty was only valid in some middle eastern country... the retailer asked me 300US$ to handle the warranty... DOUH ?!?!?! what warranty is it if I have to pay 3 big ones?

Do you know of any good or trust worthy online shops from Singapore where to buy phones from?

Not really sure, I don't buy stuff online sorry

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
I need help!

My phone died: absolutely no signs of life, no reboot, no charging light, nothing at all!

I thught that it was the SDS but I then realized that it might be the battery and so I just bought a new one. To my great surprise, the phone does not charge the battery. When I bought the battery it was at 46% charge and after 8 hours of charging the new battery was down to 41% charge!!!

If I try to charge the batttery when the phone is switched off, no red light appears but the phone vibrates intermittently (every 5 seconds) and keeps doing this until I disconnect the charger.

If I try to charge the phone when it is switched on, the charging Symbol inside the battery icon appears and also the red light is on...

But in both cases the battery does not get charged! I tried 3 different battery chargers (original Samsung) and 3 different cables.

I heard somewhere that there can be some software malfunction that causes this but I can't remember or find the right post...

Help!

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Not charging the battery

Update: the phone will charge properly only if connected to my laptop USB ports but still won't charge from any wall charger.
:confused:

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Update: the phone will charge properly only if connected to my laptop USB ports but still won't charge from any wall charger.

Did you try different sockets or chargers (not the cable)?

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I need help!

My phone died: absolutely no signs of life, no reboot, no charging light, nothing at all!

I thught that it was the SDS but I then realized that it might be the battery and so I just bought a new one. To my great surprise, the phone does not charge the battery. When I bought the battery it was at 46% charge and after 8 hours of charging the new battery was down to 41% charge!!!

If I try to charge the batttery when the phone is switched off, no red light appears but the phone vibrates intermittently (every 5 seconds) and keeps doing this until I disconnect the charger.

If I try to charge the phone when it is switched on, the charging Symbol inside the battery icon appears and also the red light is on...

But in both cases the battery does not get charged! I tried 3 different battery chargers (original Samsung) and 3 different cables.

I heard somewhere that there can be some software malfunction that causes this but I can't remember or find the right post...

Help!

Weird... If it's a software malfunction you'll have no chance of saving it since you can't get anything to start.

P.S. Try these steps to get into download mode.

No download mode?
If your phone won’t enter download mode, you can try three things:

• A USB jig. Don’t pin your hopes on this, they rarely succeed in this scenario.

• ‘Jump starting’ – You might need someone else to give you a hand for this. Take the battery out of your phone and wait 30 seconds. Now, press the button combination to enter download mode, and with this combination still depressed, get someone to put the battery back in. Hopefully this will jolt your phone into download mode.

• Take out the phone battery, and re-insert it, but don’t turn the phone on. Now, plug in the charger while holding the volume down button. Keep holding volume down till you enter download mode.
If your phone won’t enter download mode, and will do nothing but get hot when you attempt to do anything to it (charge it, turn it on), then your motherboard is in need of replacement.

Your options
I’ve seen a lot of people, when their Odin flash fails, either:

• Give up. Not a good option.

• Flash a .pit file. That should be used as an absolute last resort. There’s a lot to try before getting to that stage! If a flash of a .pit file fails in Odin, your phone is well and truly unrecoverable, and you will need a motherboard (MB) replacement.

• Send their phone to a service centre. That costs money (& you’re without a phone for a week or so).

Last edited:

ascanio1

Jan 15, 2011
Tokyo
Yes. Besides I blind tested all 3 chargers, cables and wall sockets. They work with other electrical devices.

Weird... If it's a software malfunction you'll have no chance of saving it since you can't get anything to start.
With the new battery I can start the phone and it works perfectly normally. The only malfunction is that it won't charge the battery from wall charger so I have to use laptop.

It goes into download mode, normally. With a charged battery.

Irwenzhao

Nov 23, 2013
Singapore
Yes. Besides I blind tested all 3 chargers, cables and wall sockets. They work with other electrical devices.

With the new battery I can start the phone and it works perfectly normally. The only malfunction is that it won't charge the battery from wall charger so I have to use laptop.

Flash a new ROM? If it's a software malfunction only a new ROM can solve your issue. And a .pit file would be useless here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.3.3 ... no problems (except an externalSD memory write problem).

Where did you get 4.4.3 from already?

What happens when you try to boot up the phone? I need details.

I would say LG G3?

Not really sure, I don't buy stuff online sorry

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I need help!

Help!

No download mode?
    If your phone won’t enter download mode, you can try three things:

• A USB jig. Don’t pin your hopes on this, they rarely succeed in this scenario.

• ‘Jump starting’ – You might need someone else to give you a hand for this. Take the battery out of your phone and wait 30 seconds. Now, press the button combination to enter download mode, and with this combination still depressed, get someone to put the battery back in. Hopefully this will jolt your phone into download mode.

• Take out the phone battery, and re-insert it, but don’t turn the phone on. Now, plug in the charger while holding the volume down button. Keep holding volume down till you enter download mode.
    If your phone won’t enter download mode, and will do nothing but get hot when you attempt to do anything to it (charge it, turn it on), then your motherboard is in need of replacement.

Your options
    I’ve seen a lot of people, when their Odin flash fails, either:

• Give up. Not a good option.

• Flash a .pit file. That should be used as an absolute last resort. There’s a lot to try before getting to that stage! If a flash of a .pit file fails in Odin, your phone is well and truly unrecoverable, and you will need a motherboard (MB) replacement.

• Send their phone to a service centre. That costs money (& you’re without a phone for a week or so).

Flash a new ROM? If it's a software malfunction only a new ROM can solve your issue. And a .pit file would be useless here.