Screen Casting From Android Is Now Live w/ Chromecast

Search This thread

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Last edited:

MeridianSun

Apr 3, 2011
I must be doing something wrong because I can't get it to cast...

Sent from my Note 3

MeridianSun

Apr 3, 2011
Figured it out. Even though the app said it was updated today it was not the latest version. I side loaded the latest version and it works. It is too choppy though.

Sent from my Note 3

JK100

Jun 21, 2008
Da Roc
I have sideloaded 1.74 and when i press cast screen it tries to connect but nothing happened I have a note 3 with galaxy fre rom

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Free mobile app

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Figured it out. Even though the app said it was updated today it was not the latest version. I side loaded the latest version and it works. It is too choppy though.

Sent from my Note 3

It's working fine through the Chomecast app for me. I haven't tried any games but everything else is smooth including 1080p videos that were recorded on my phone.

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
I can get it to mirror my screen through the Chromecast (not through settings) but I get no sound. How do I get sound.

Note: My chromecast is plugged into my Onkyo receiver, does that make a difference?

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
I can get it to mirror my screen through the Chromecast (not through settings) but I get no sound. How do I get sound.

Note: My chromecast is plugged into my Onkyo receiver, does that make a difference?

Probably so. I have screen mirroring working thru the Chromecast app as well and it does audio just fine. Might be something going on with that receiver. Can you remove it and try just a direct connect to the Chromecast on the TV? Haven't tried thru the Settings way.

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
Probably so. I have screen mirroring working thru the Chromecast app as well and it does audio just fine. Might be something going on with that receiver. Can you remove it and try just a direct connect to the Chromecast on the TV? Haven't tried thru the Settings way.

Turns out that power cycling the Chromecast solved the problem. I now get sound.

blindside2171

Mar 16, 2014
Does that mirroring work directly from chromecast to phone or do you still need a wifi network to connect them both to?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jengobengo

Oct 23, 2013
I'm on Android 4.3, Beanstown build 6, so I can't screen cast :( Is there an update path I can take (possibly new ROM) that will get me 4.4 and the ability to use this new feature? (I have Chromecast app ver 1.7.4)

badchorizo

Apr 27, 2014
San Diego
Could people who have it working SMOOTHLY (to me not smoothly = not working) at 1080p please post the wifi setup they are using? (Router/AP model and 2.4 or 5ghz, is it in the same room, other devices connected, port forwarding or QoS or other router config, or anything else noteworthy)

I haven't touched my chromecast in 3 months because it basically didn't work for anything I wanted to do (main thing is playing photos/videos shot with camera on a bigger screen). Back then I was using a wired router and a Asus EAN66 as wifi AP (box-claim speed of 450 mbps) sitting within 10 feet of both phone and TV/Chromecast in the same room but it was horrible - I was lucky to get maybe 20 seconds of smooth video max. Then it would crash. Much faster to transfer files to computer via usb3 or sdcard then play on TV. Similar story on a Linksys E1000 but I forget which was worse.

True smooth 1080p screen mirroring... that would be nice. Truly something that would wow people. I now have Netgear R7000 (model name "Overkill") and it's 5 feet from the TV so it really better work now! I'll report tomorrow when I can mess with it.

skyhawk21

Mar 26, 2009
I had it working smoothly. First I had to update to most recent chromecast app from google play in US, then once I tried screen mirroring option in the app, it would connect to my chromecast but show nothing. After doing this the chromecast then wanted to reboot and update itself to a later software build. While it rebooted rebooted note 3 and laoded up the chromecast app, option was there to mirror to tv so I chose it and it worked flawlessly and smooth even playing games. I was using stock android TW 4.4.2 and played trials frontier. I have a netgear WNDR 3700 V1 router using 54g (2.4) to connect phone and chromecast to. The tv was like 1ms behind what was displayed on phone but still worked flawlessly. I had my phone power saving mode on and cpu power saving checked. Even with this power saving it worked great for web browsing, videos, and games. Phone did get hot and battery drained quickly! I also use WPA 2 encryption and security!

Could people who have it working SMOOTHLY (to me not smoothly = not working) at 1080p please post the wifi setup they are using? (Router/AP model and 2.4 or 5ghz, is it in the same room, other devices connected, port forwarding or QoS or other router config, or anything else noteworthy)

I haven't touched my chromecast in 3 months because it basically didn't work for anything I wanted to do (main thing is playing photos/videos shot with camera on a bigger screen). Back then I was using a wired router and a Asus EAN66 as wifi AP (box-claim speed of 450 mbps) sitting within 10 feet of both phone and TV/Chromecast in the same room but it was horrible - I was lucky to get maybe 20 seconds of smooth video max. Then it would crash. Much faster to transfer files to computer via usb3 or sdcard then play on TV. Similar story on a Linksys E1000 but I forget which was worse.

True smooth 1080p screen mirroring... that would be nice. Truly something that would wow people. I now have Netgear R7000 (model name "Overkill") and it's 5 feet from the TV so it really better work now! I'll report tomorrow when I can mess with it.

kenmorgan

Mar 3, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
I'm on Android 4.3, Beanstown build 6, so I can't screen cast :( Is there an update path I can take (possibly new ROM) that will get me 4.4 and the ability to use this new feature? (I have Chromecast app ver 1.7.4)
I was running CleanRom with 4.3, and swithched to BajaRom so I could use my chromecast screenmirroring. Baja is 4.4.2 snd it worked flawlessly. Problem for me is, I dont like Baja. Im gonna go back to CleanRom 4.3 jellybean. The trade just isnt worth it for me.
Hope that helps ya.