Recording Live music?

Search This thread

Rinkadink

Oct 17, 2009
I know it won't be the BEST quality, but I'd like to be able to record some acoustic guitar playing to my Imagio (Windows Mobile). I can obviously record now using the built in microphone, but the quality is terrible. I think that if I use an external microphone, the quality should be better.

For instance, Blue Mikey is good quality microphone for Iphones - bluemic.com

I've looked around, but I can't find a microphone that says it's compatible. I found this on Amazon, would it work?: Sony-ECM-DS70P

Anyone know of a (simple) solution? The alternative is to get a separate dedicated digital recorder.

DAB

darfri

Nov 13, 2008
OnePlus 6T
If you worry about quality I suggest you to still get a dedicated recorder (zoom/tascam/etc) and compare its recordings with the iPhone "quality" gear... You'll be amazed.

Rinkadink

Oct 17, 2009
Why is that Darfri? I would think that, theoretically at least, a Windows Mobile (or iPhone) phone should be able to record as well as a Zoom. Digital storage plus microphone interface plus software to convert sound to a file.

This is a software that might do the trick, although most people seem to use it to record phone calls and lectures: Resco Audio Recorder

I agree that the Zoom/Tascam solution is the easiest and probably the higher quality solution. I just think it would be a more elegant solution to be able to do everything on one (Windows Mobile) device.

DAB

Rinkadink

Oct 17, 2009
I spoke to someone at HTC. Their bottom line answer was that using the Imagio to try to do a quality recording won't work well. I broke down and got a Zoom H2.

darfri

Nov 13, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Good choice. I've played with that and it is great. Especially using external expensive :p mics.
My point about the elegance vs quality is the hardware side of the AD conversion. Some kind of solution would be an external high end AD converter but then again very few devices work as hosts from miniusb (except the microSD slot)