Custom Unlock Icon on Boot, what does it mean?

Search This thread

silasrye

Jul 27, 2007
I have what I think is an unusual booting splash screen. It is the first thing to show up after turning on.

I also booted in to the Odin menu just to see the status and took a picture of that.

I just got my phone today and have done nothing other than install normal applications, I haven't tried to root or flash anything.

I watched a video of some other verizon SGS3 owner turning on their device and that unlocked lock icon and custom do not appear.

Anyone know what this means?

What I believe is normal boot up image (5:13)
http://youtu.be/VaVyWfS69J0

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 3,953
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 3,335
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 3,349
Last edited:
Reactions: damasta22

manchild83

Nov 20, 2007
You will probably get a better response if you post this in Q&A. I don't know the answer to your question though. I am curious what they answer is.

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
it comes up once you've flashed something using odin
if you'll notice on the third image, next to "SYSTEM STATUS:" it says "Custom" this means something other than something official has been flashed to it

i'd really like to know how you did this :)

silasrye

Jul 27, 2007
me too

Like I said, I haven't done anything. I have actually not even plugged it into my computer yet via usb cable.

silasrye

Jul 27, 2007
Its not rooted

I suspected that and tried to just download superSU and it doesn't work, says phone isn't rooted.

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
Assuming you bought yours brand new from the store, I'd go back. But first I'd try removing the microsd card and booting up. Then try the SIM card, then boot up again. If its still the same, something is up with your device. It keeps booting up into download mode. :S

funkymonk101

Dec 7, 2010
NYC
I don't think he was saying it boots into DL mode on its own, just that he went into DL mode to confirm he's not running anything custom, which it appears he is not.

Strange that it would show the custom boot image when you're running the official ROM. I don't know that that's a bad thing, or that it's worth returning the phone. Might be worth calling Verizon and talking to them about it. At the least you then have a record that your phone was doing that from the beginning, so if you have to return it later on after installing custom ROMs, you can say it was always like that ;)

IN8skillz

Oct 23, 2011
I have what I think is an unusual booting splash screen. It is the first thing to show up after turning on.

I also booted in to the Odin menu just to see the status and took a picture of that.

I just got my phone today and have done nothing other than install normal applications, I haven't tried to root or flash anything.

I watched a video of some other verizon SGS3 owner turning on their device and that unlocked lock icon and custom do not appear.

We need a dump. It might help with Root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: simollie

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Assuming you bought yours brand new from the store, I'd go back. But first I'd try removing the microsd card and booting up. Then try the SIM card, then boot up again. If its still the same, something is up with your device. It keeps booting up into download mode. :S

you aren't from around here are ya'? :silly:

this +1

Reactions: satadru

IN8skillz

Oct 23, 2011

Do you have access to a computer? Are you familiar with ADB?

silasrye

Jul 27, 2007
Odin Dump

I've hooked up to Odin 3.07.

The options for dumping are grayed out. I don't know if that's normal or if Odin is even how I should dump.

Of note, My ODIN MODE screen the top left corner of the phone.
(in my linked post i have image) (Purple text is actually written in white)

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom

QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Yes, I am familiar with ADB... "familiar but not too familiar, but not too not familiar"

NFSP G35

Feb 28, 2012

Ahahahahahahaha... you funny man :p

jamcar

Aug 11, 2010
Orlando
ummmmmmmmmmm WTF!!!!!! VZW bootloader is locked meaning you SHOULDN'T be able to have custom system binaries
DON'T SELL YOUR PHONE YOU COULD SAVE ALL VZW sIII!!!!!

Last edited:

simollie

Oct 19, 2008
San Jose

Please please don't return to VZW. See if a dev can help you to get dump. You could be holding the key to save tens of thousands of us.

NightxFall

Apr 23, 2012
Although yours isn't rooted and perhaps not unlocked, the devs can check out what's different in your device through a dump and it could assist them in achieving root and unlocking the bootloader. I don't really know a whole lot about developing, so maybe that's not possible

Sent from my Ally using XDA

jamcar

Aug 11, 2010
Orlando
Although yours isn't rooted and perhaps not unlocked, the devs can check out what's different in your device through a dump and it could assist them in achieving root and unlocking the bootloader. I don't really know a whole lot about developing, so maybe that's not possible

Sent from my Ally using XDA

it is! it has been done before (different phone of course)

ruben8448

Nov 1, 2009
Peoria, AZ
This may be the key to having an awesome phone on Verizon. Whatever you do don't return it.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes let the devs examine his morning dump.
    rooted and ready

had my coffee, completed my morning dump.

Ready to dump my boot image if some one will give me the adb instructions.

I must say, I don't know whats up with my phone, but it still seems to be locked, I would not get too excited.

In the image it says it has a custom status, but the binary is an official samsung and qualcom secureboot is enabled.
    I want to unroot, anyone know how?

I believe the only way is to flash a stock ROM.

Ian