Has anyone got AdAway to work?

Search This thread

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Everytime I run AdAway it hang on the applying host file and most of the time will reboot the phone. Running stock rom with captain throwbacks unsecured boot. I have also tried flashing a symlink in recovery which flashes fine and then change adaway setting to the new location. It still locks up the phone. I'm now s-off & even after symlink and changed location or default location it still locks the phone. I have also tried the 2.8.1 unofficial version on xda also hang on the phone. I don't know what else to try at this point.

chemjb

Nov 18, 2011
Pacoima
If you are not s off the system write protection will not let u modify the system

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

exSD

Apr 6, 2009

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
Yup. Shouldn't have any issue if you nandroid back if you've got s-off. Make sure you restore everything.
I will prob just do a clean install of badseed instead of restore stock backup. Are you using badseed? Was gonna wait a while to flash it but I'm not really a fan of stock either and I was reading badseed has some bugs in it such as not being able to sign into google account.

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
I might have to hold off if you are having the same issue. It always worked find on my m7. I wonder why it works for some and not others?

exSD

Apr 6, 2009
I will prob just do a clean install of badseed instead of restore stock backup. Are you using badseed? Was gonna wait a while to flash it but I'm not really a fan of stock either and I was reading badseed has some bugs in it such as not being able to sign into google account.
no I'm on stock ROM. There isn't a ROM yet worth flashing over to. The stock ROM is pretty great IMO.

Sim-X

Nov 2, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
no I'm on stock ROM. There isn't a ROM yet worth flashing over to. The stock ROM is pretty great IMO.
Yea I was going to wait a while before switching from stock. So now that I have s-off if I restore my nandroid backup will I still need to reflash a new boot image or apply a kernal patch or if I uninstall bloat will it make it past a reboot?