[PORT] Opera Mini for WP7 - for fully unlocked devices [Dec 25 update]

Search This thread

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Opera Mini for Windows Phone 7
FOR FULLY UNLOCKED ROMS ONLY

First of all, I am not an author of Opera. That's Opera Software ASA property. I am only the author of this xap wrapper and related proxy libraries.
Xap or any parts of it cannot be sold.

Current version of launcher is 1.2 (it is the same in both Mobile and Mini).
What's new?
  • Application window gets recreated on the startup if Opera was already opened.
  • Got rid of WindowTreeUpdater, now using system functions directly.
  • Font smoothing
  • Removed some unneeded system calls.
  • Now timeout is 3 seconds.
Rotation support wasn't implemented in this version. Windows Phone 7 API doesn't support it in fully native apps.

Q&A
What is it?
That's Opera Mini 5.1 initially built for Windows Mobile. I've just added an extra layer that makes it running.
The only limitation so far is no rotation support - but this limitation will be deleted in future.

Why does it only work on fully unlocked ROMs (like DFT Freedom)? Isn't developer/interop unlock enough to run it?
Developer unlock will let you install xap. Interop unlock will let inbuilt interop library work. Full unlock will let Opera native exe run.
That means, nothing except Full unlock will help you run it. Don't ask me about other unlock methods, that's not something to discuss in this thread.

Which ROMs should I use?
All ROMs that use DFT-like unlock method. I say "like" because there are some other methods, I can't list them all. I can't tell you "Yes, it will work on this rom" or opposite, just test it and leave a note if you want.

Is Opera Mobile port possible in future?
Yes, already done

What's countdown made for?
Press "Stop" and check.

When I press "Stop", there is a "Delete internal opera folders" button. Why is it here? I can delete this app like any other WP application...
The reason is that Opera launcher goes beyond the standard isolated store. For example, it creates \Program Files\Opera Mini folder. Also it adds some absent libraries to \Windows\.
If you delete Opera launcher "like any other WP application", folders beyond the sandbox will still stay there. So, use "Delete internal Opera folders" button wisely :)

I have problems with starting it up...
If it Opera launcher's window doesn't appear at all, it means you have no interopunlock.
If it throws an error with "Check your unlock state" in the end, it means your unlock isn't enough for running native executables/copying files.
Anyway, you shouldn't post about it here. I will ignore such comments.

Thanks to AndrewSh and feropont for tests.

1.0 download count: 7090.

Opera Mobile is discussed here

Attachments

• OperaMini5.1.xap
    1.4 MB · Views: 50,282
Last edited:

AndrewSh

Jan 17, 2006
Minsk
forum.asusmobile.ru

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,544
Last edited:

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Confirmed working on my HD7 running the latest DFT rom ! Thx a lot.

As mentioned before on other devices without custom rom (like my OMNIA 7) it throws an error after launching... sad but true...

imotz

Aug 22, 2008
great working on, htc trophy with dft freedom 2
hope you will be able to port opera mobile

MAHDi25

Mar 22, 2007
Not working in my mozart with DFT rom v3(7740.16).!!!!
also show this error: "Check your unlock state". and close it.

Reactions: onukomer

AshleyT

Oct 26, 2011
Salerno
Doesn't work on my Omnia 7 with Interop Unlock (7740) :(

"A problem occured while creating new process. Check your unlock state."

Reactions: onukomer

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
I surely tested it on DFT v3 before posting. I will check it again.

Read the first post:
Why does it only work on fully unlocked ROMs (like DFT Freedom)? Isn't developer/interop unlock enough to run it?
Developer unlock will let you install xap. Interop unlock will let inbuilt interop library work. Full unlock will let Opera native exe run.
That means, nothing except Full unlock will help you run it. Don't ask me about other unlock methods, that's not something to discuss in this thread.

chaitanya91845

Nov 1, 2009
Mumbai
Sounds superb. In fact, the lack of landscape support is a blessing in disguise for me as I get irritated when the screen rotates when I lie down and browse. :)
I will have to wait for DFT Focus ROM though, if I want to deploy this app.
Nice work, Amigo :)

Sainti

Apr 20, 2008
sainti.pl
Great job.

I was wandering, is your method could be applied to other native Windows Mobile apps to make them work on Windows Phone?

MOHSEN-UNIQUE

Jul 13, 2008
khoramshahr
its very nice and big work
if you can port other program to windows phone its very good
program like proxycap and tcpmp in very Required in windows phone

diboze

Jun 2, 2009
great work :)
works like a charm here. Lack for landscape-autorotation is a feature for me, not a missing one :)

just 3 questions:
are there any other "simple" programs which dont have lots of "dependencies" which could be ported this way?
Is it possible to make it start instantly. not by a countdown?
Can there be a task added? I mean at the moment I dont see it in the built-in mutlitask-switcher...

I love your work already :D thanks

Localhorst86

Jul 5, 2011
Germany
That. Is. Awesome! Thanks, gonna install it on my WP7 :D

I love this, I wanted opera mobile so bad on my phone, it's way better than the built in IE.

EDIT: why is the launcher delaying the start for 3 seconds though? IS there a specific reason for that?

Last edited:

Isilmalith

Jul 15, 2009
I'm not going to fully unlock my device but...

... I just read this on WMPoweruser and wanted to say that this is one piece of awesome work. :D Sick!

ultrashot

May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Great job.

I was wandering, is your method could be applied to other native Windows Mobile apps to make them work on Windows Phone?
great work :)
works like a charm here. Lack for landscape-autorotation is a feature for me, not a missing one :)

just 3 questions:
are there any other "simple" programs which dont have lots of "dependencies" which could be ported this way?
Is it possible to make it start instantly. not by a countdown?
Can there be a task added? I mean at the moment I dont see it in the built-in mutlitask-switcher...

I love your work already :D thanks
Yeah, they can be ported in a similar way. But for some apps it could be problematic.

That. Is. Awesome! Thanks, gonna install it on my WP7 :D

I love this, I wanted opera mobile so bad on my phone, it's way better than the built in IE.

EDIT: why is the launcher delaying the start for 3 seconds though? IS there a specific reason for that?
added delay reason to the first post.

Reactions: AndrewSh

npoe

Jan 16, 2009
Thanks!!! This is the kind of awesomeness that XDA got me used to. Unfortunately my phone is not an unlocked one, but I wanted to congratulate you anyways.

Sent from my LG-E900h using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

sinakordi

Mar 29, 2011
borujerd

First of all, I am not an author of Opera. That's Opera Software ASA property. I am only the author of this xap wrapper and related proxy libraries.

Q&A
What is it?
That's Opera Mini 5.1 initially built for Windows Mobile. I've just added an extra layer that makes it running.
The only limitation so far is no rotation support - but this limitation will be deleted in future.

Which ROMs should I use?
All ROMs that use DFT-like unlock method. I say "like" because there are some other methods, I can't list them all. I can't tell you "Yes, it will work on this rom" or opposite, just test it and leave a note if you want.

I would rather say "yes". It has more dependencies, so porting is harder. But it really looks possible.

Press "Stop" and check.

When I press "Stop", there is a "Delete internal opera folders" button. Why is it here? I can delete this app like any other WP application...
The reason is that Opera launcher goes beyond the standard isolated store. For example, it creates \Program Files\Opera Mini folder. Also it adds some absent libraries to \Windows\.
If you delete Opera launcher "like any other WP application", folders beyond the sandbox will still stay there. So, use "Delete internal Opera folders" button wisely :)

If it Opera launcher's window doesn't appear at all, it means you have no interopunlock.
If it throws an error with "Check your unlock state" in the end, it means your unlock isn't enough for running native executables/copying files.

Ok tnx

that's work on my DFT base Rom

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Current version of launcher is 1.2 (it is the same in both Mobile and Mini).
    What's new?
    • Application window gets recreated on the startup if Opera was already opened.
    • Got rid of WindowTreeUpdater, now using system functions directly.
    • Font smoothing
    • Removed some unneeded system calls.
    • Now timeout is 3 seconds.
    Rotation support wasn't implemented in this version. Windows Phone 7 API doesn't support it in fully native apps.

Q&A
    What is it?

Which ROMs should I use?

Yes, already done

Press "Stop" and check.

1.0 download count: 7090.

Opera Mobile is discussed here
    Good

Good job, my friend:)

Wanna add that this "good job" works on both our (feropont and my) fully unlocked customs w/o issues....
    i am working on fixes for these problems
    I surely tested it on DFT v3 before posting. I will check it again.

Read the first post: