Anyone been using their S2 without a case for long time?

Search This thread

thaako

Feb 17, 2012
hi my sgsII is 8 months old, and i dont have screen protector, just leather pouch.

dont have any scratches ( except 1 long, because i put phone into jeans pocket, where i had candy in plastic, and plastic paper from sweets scratches my phone, with long, few centimeters scratch xD )

but i think you dont need screen protector,display looks better without it, and gorila glass it will protect it :D......from everything just no candies:D,nothing sharp

euklidis

Sep 1, 2010
Athens
I've had mine since august, and dropped it a few feet on a couple instances, most commonly onto the hardwood floor by my bed when fumbling in the morning. Body shows no drop damage and the screen is flawless.

As far as I'm concerned if a device NEEDED a case it should come with it. I'm not about to take one of the slimmest phones (that's already pretty long and wide) and add extra girth to it.

Simple as that. It is one of the slimmest and most beautifull phones out there. and really tough. No need to ruin its lines and beauty.

gbjack

Dec 23, 2008
Singapore
I've not used any case or screen protector and it looks fine. Recently the back plate cracked due to opening and closing too many times after device frozen when I install ICS. Haha...

gorak86

Feb 23, 2012
Yeovil
I have had my s2 about 5 months and have gone with and without case but now use case whenever I am going out, I use a screen protector and case from sgp. The reason for this is I have dropped my phone twice recently and have chipped the chrome from the sides. These where not drops from a great height I am not tall but they still did the damage.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Alco64

Jan 16, 2012
I've only got a "casemate" hard back plating on mine. So far it's proved to be more than enough for a phone like this. I only have my phone in my pocket with nothing else in it.
Haven't had any problems so I don't think a screen protector is needed seeing as the gorilla glass protects itself :p

jetnag

Aug 28, 2010
I think my SGS II is way better without a screen protector or phone case.
Dropped the phone a few times, but it caused only insignificant marks on the corners.
And the little scratch on the screen is not visible when using the phone, and bothers me only because i know it's there. :)

Speaking of scratch. Pro tip: No keys/lighters/coins/etc and phone in the same pocket.

dquancey

May 7, 2011
eckagiu West

Kept my phone in an empty pocket, no next to keys/coins.

No scratches or anything, try to look after my stuff.

skaif

Aug 4, 2010
just my 2 cents...

I have had mine since release (10 months?) and kept in hidden in a case and screen protector for the first 8 months...few months back I ditched the case and screen protector! First off, wow, the screen is amazing without the protector, secondly, I promptly dropped it onto concrete from shoulder height!! All I got was a little ding in the corner, nothing major..since then I have been semi-concious about what pocket it is in (No keys, loose change etc) but it has been brilliant! No scratches or scuffs (apart from the small scratch in the corner) it looks brand new! Recently bought the 2000mah battery with new slightly thicker back cover and its beautiful to hold! Seriously, get rid of cases and screen protectors, you dont need them for this phone, if you do, your ruining it!

Simonetti2011

Sep 3, 2010
Belo Horizonte
I'm a bit clumsy, even although I try not to be. Thus I use my phone with a screen protector and a case.

The way I figure, the device doesn't come with one so Samsung can profit from selling one, as well as third-party manufacturers. Take the Motorola Xoom, for example: it doesn't come with a case, but Motorola sells 2 types of case for it.

saze

Mar 15, 2012
I have a case and a screen protector but never use them as I feel the case detracts from the thin form and the screen protector kills the touch sensitivity IMO.

I have dropped the phone a good few times, once so badly that it split a stone ashtray in half! But not a single scratch or mark on it, extremely well built and solid. Don't let the tiny size (depth-wise :p) fool you!

viva.fidel

Aug 27, 2010
London
I got my S2 in early May 2011, never had a case on it, dropped it plenty of times from hand height onto a wooden floor, dropped it 3 or 4 times from car seat height onto concrete, and once into a sink full of water.. all I have is one scratch on the top-left casing of the phone and a completely scratch free screen.. it's a pretty hard-wearing phone. Mind you I've always been careful to not put it in the same pocket as keys/coins

terpion

Mar 21, 2012
I've had my SGS II since 05.2011. Never have I used any type of protection on it, I carry the phone i my jeans pocket and the only thing I had to do from time to time is to clean out the lint from USB port :p

i have had my S2 since june 3rd 2011. I have had the SGP Ultra Silke Soul Black Case on it for the first 2-3 months. however, after getting the 2000mAh extended battery, i removed the case and since then have been using it without any case.

the screen does not have any scratches(neither does the screen guard), however, the silver plastic around the screen has had a small dent near the top right of the phone due to it falling from my hands onto concrete(ouch!)

Since then, i am using the standard samsung flip pouch with the phone!

Cheers!

djclark25

Feb 15, 2011
Had mine since June with no screen protector or case.

Dropped it from a great height when put my jeans over the stairs bannister (With phone still in pocket)

It bounced off the railing landed on a radiator bounced onto a table full of crap then landed on the floor. I thoght the screen would be smashed and the phone would be covered in scratches and bumps.

Ended up with a little mark on the top trim and a chip out of the top front speaker!! impressed with how durable it is

[IMPI]

Mar 19, 2012
got my S2 7 months ago.

I haven't used any cases or screenprotectors...but it still looks as awesome as on day 1 w/e scratches etc.

Putting le poor beauty in a case is like making Rihanna wear used toiletpaper on stage...imo :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

anaweb

Feb 3, 2012
I have had my s2 about 4 months and have gone with and without case but now use case whenever I am going out

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

01alim

May 27, 2009
Cool thread. I searched up 's2 is ugly with case' and this came up. I bought a case for the phone, but I can't get used to the look! It hides the true beauty of the phone, so from reading this thread, I have decided...

My S2 will remain naked for the rest of its life!

I won't be keeping it for long anyway, till the S3 comes out so I don't really care atm.

Lovely thread to boost my confidence, thanks!

androturk

Mar 22, 2012
Kocaeli
So I think the S2 looks great without a screen protector and case, but I am wondering if it is safe to use it this way for a long time. Would gorilla glass be enough to protect the phone from drops on the screen? Also, is the phone built tough? Like would it break if dropped without a case a few times? I haven't ever dropped my phone since I bought it in the summer but it would still be nice to know this.

Well, no. I started using it without them as they're ugly, I started dropping it all the time. But; I will not use a case nor a screen protector:p

pnevroq

Feb 18, 2012
www.pnevroq.com
Another opinion here... :)
Got my SGS2 from April and used without a case all the time, no scratches, only a little bit of paint at the bottom has come off. In the pocket I carry it in a pouch though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just be smart about it.

If you're the type of person that expects to drop his phone regularly, you need a case.

This isn't a phone designed to be rugged and tough.

Again, just be smart about it. Know that not using a case is a risk. If you've worked out that the risk is small enough, then go for it.

Personally, I think a $20 case for protecting a $600 device seems to be a good deal. But that's just me.
    Using since last december, very slim and comfortable on my pocket..:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
    I've had mine since august, and dropped it a few feet on a couple instances, most commonly onto the hardwood floor by my bed when fumbling in the morning. Body shows no drop damage and the screen is flawless.

As far as I'm concerned if a device NEEDED a case it should come with it. I'm not about to take one of the slimmest phones (that's already pretty long and wide) and add extra girth to it.