[HOWTO] Install CM9 on 8GB Nook Tablet

Search This thread

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
New version (.04) of CM9 causes boot loop on NT8

Has anyone been able to get version .04 working on an 8GB Nook Tablet?
I have tried and all I get is a boot loop. I will search the other forums to see if I can find a solution. Otherwise, this thread seems to be doomed...

dornstar

Aug 22, 2009
Had .03 working on my 8GB NT perfectly and then tonight when reading a book, it rebooted and went into a boot loader.

Reflashed CM9 .03.... bootloader.

Flashed 1.4.2 and it worked fine.

Reflashed CM9 .03... bootloader.

Flashed CM9 .04... screen flashes and stalls.

Any suggestions because I dread going to to another ROM. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

eggwardo

Mar 12, 2012
I was just browsing this post again in preparation for installing .04 (will update on how that went when i'm done) and i noticed that you have in your instructions to download a recovery file. But then there isn't any instruction or mention of installing it. (unless i missed it, which is entirely possible)

Thought i would point that out to help prevent future issues.

Now i just have to figure out how to upgrade to .04 without recovery. :eek: Shouldnt be too hard. I can always just go back to stock and start from there.

<edit> It turns out i can still add the recovery now. I just have to figure out how to use fastboot. It seemed straightforward but i'm not getting it just yet. Hopefully that will get added to the OP. :D I think for now i'm going to go enjoy the nice weather.

Last edited:

atomicroach

Jun 16, 2010
I've been messing with it for a few days with no luck, tried to generate a logcat, but my pc doesn't appear to recognize the ADB Device until the CM9 splash screen, which it doesn't get to before it resets. I'm trying flashing internally from 5.0.2(w/e) that Indirect's apk installs. Lost101 apparently got .04 running on a 8gig NT, but I don't know what recovery he used(I'm thinking TWRP). So, if someone wants to try installing a different recovery and giving it a go it might be worth a look. I don't really know why the 16gb wouldn't have a problem with certain recoveries if the 8gb does, but without logs to give to Dev's its, I suppose, worth a look.

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
recovery image

I was just browsing this post again in preparation for installing .04 (will update on how that went when i'm done) and i noticed that you have in your instructions to download a recovery file. But then there isn't any instruction or mention of installing it. (unless i missed it, which is entirely possible)

Thought i would point that out to help prevent future issues.

Now i just have to figure out how to upgrade to .04 without recovery. :eek: Shouldnt be too hard. I can always just go back to stock and start from there.

<edit> It turns out i can still add the recovery now. I just have to figure out how to use fastboot. It seemed straightforward but i'm not getting it just yet. Hopefully that will get added to the OP. :D I think for now i'm going to go enjoy the nice weather.

If you have ClockWorkMod recovery, then you do not need the linked recovery image. Just boot up CWM and then change the SDCard to one with the rom's ZIP file on it. Then use CWM's "Install zip from sdcard" function.
Here is a series of videos to help with the Nook: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL676779C4F7BE8FEB&feature=mh_lolz
This one is specifically about flashing CM9 to the Nook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1NDweCWuTk&list=PL676779C4F7BE8FEB&index=5&feature=plpp_video

However, it appears that the .04 version has BROKE the NT8 install. :(
AFAIK, everyone with an 8GB Nook gets a boot loop when they try to flash the newer version. I had to go back to stock and then flash a different ROM since even my backup of .03 went into a boot loop after trying .04 (weird, I know). :confused:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
AFAIK, everyone with an 8GB Nook gets a boot loop when they try to flash the newer version. I had to go back to stock and then flash a different ROM since even my backup of .03 went into a boot loop after trying .04 (weird, I know). :confused:
It must have something to do with installing to emmc. Mine installed .04 fine to my succulent dual boot SD. (on an 8GB device). Of course succulent uses a modified ramdisk (altboot.img) to make it work on SD.

Last edited:

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
Install CM9 v.04 on 8GB internal emmc

It looks like they have figured out what went wrong with v.04.:D

Here is the link to Succulent's "newboot.zip" file: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26686148&postcount=604
And here are the simple instructions for how to make it work (if you want to start fresh & redo your setup or, if you still have v.03 on the Nook): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26694005&postcount=609

It worked for me and apparently for everyone that uses it.

Ok. Here is the process that I used to get back where I was on .03 before everything went into a boot loop. Due to the boot loop, I reverted to stock (actually Veronica's Ribbon Root).

1. Use CWM SDCard to flash CM9.04 (just to get the CyanoBoot going) (from OP here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23340987&postcount=1)
  2. Reboot and hold the N button to get into Cyanoboot
  3. Select "Start Fastboot"
  4. Connect computer via USB
  5. On the computer, use the terminal and cd to the downloaded recovery0.04.img file (from OP here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23340987&postcount=1)
  6. In Terminal, issue the command, "sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery0.04.img" (replaces the stock recovery with the CWM recovery from the OP)
  7. Put SDCard in Nook (card contains (previous B/U of CM9.03, CM9.04.zip, newboot.zip, and gapps.zip)
  8. Reboot the Nook and return to Cyanoboot
  9. Select "Internal Recovery"
  10. Restore Backup of CM9.03 (to get my settings back)
  11. Clear cache & Dalvik
  12. Flash CM9.04
  13. Flash newboot.zip
  14. flash gapps.zip
  15. Reboot system
When it powered up, it came back to where my CM9.03 was at the last backup.
Note: any time that you do a "wipe dalvik" on ICS, your first boot will send a dialog that says, "Android is upgrading, optimizing application XX of YY." It only last a few seconds and is totally normal.

Actually, I probably could have skipped a few steps by using the advanced options in restore to only restore the settings from .03 but I felt more comfortable doing it this way and it only took a couple minutes longer.

Last edited:

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
Thanks to all

I was about to post something quite similar today, but you beat me to it. Thanks!

It is OK to hit the "thanks" button. :cool:

Actually, you did us all a favor by specifically offering the NT8 instructions in the OP. So many posts do not define whether it is good for NT8 or NT16.

My take... If they don't say otherwise, assume that they are using an NT16. We NT8 users are the only ones that are concerned about the difference.

All of us working together get much more accomplished than if we work independently. My website (http://raywaldo.com) provides simple instructions to users who find all of the posts on XDA too confusing. The previous post is the kind of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) article that I have on the site.

Reactions: Kalulu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The 16GB Nook Tablet was released in the United States on Nov 17, 2011 (about 6 months ago). It is reasonably well-documented and a great deal of progress has been made on getting it to do cool stuff that its developers did not intend.

On February 21, 2012 (about 2 months ago) Barnes and Noble released an 8GB version of the Nook Tablet. It is much newer and most of the developers on XDA who were going to work with the Nook Tablet had already purchased 16GB devices by the time the 8GB was released; therefore, it is not documented nearly as well and many of its quirks are not as well known.

The purpose of this thread is to begin the process of documenting the differences between the two tablets. I spent a lot of time messing around with unsuccessful processes and asking questions to people who didn't know answers, and would like to contribute by saving that time for others.

By following this guide, you will be able to take an 8GB Nook Tablet out of the box and get it running an alpha version of CM9.

As of 04/25, CM9 for the Nook Tablet is an alpha state and many, many things do not work. I urge you not to try this yet unless you want to contribute to the development process, because you might irreversibly mess up your $200 toy. I am not responsible if you do this. Please, please do not try this unless you know what you are doing!

You will need:

• 8GB Nook Tablet (duh)
    • 1 MicroSD card that you don't mind wiping
    • Linux (I only know how to flash images to an SD card using Linux, if someone else wants to add Windows instructions it's appreciated, but honestly if you can't find your way around Linux you shouldn't do this)
    • ADB properly set up (there are other guides on how to do this, I will add it in later if necessary)
    • Some way of writing to a MicroSD (an SD reader preferably, you could use an android device but I would feel much safer with just an SD reader)
    • The recovery image from the bottom of this post (ignore the instructions, just get the image. Meghdoot please let me know if I can just include the direct link in this post.)
    • CM9 Alpha 0.03 zipped package from this post (filename: update-cm9-acclaim-alpha0.03-fullofbugs.zip)
    • Google Apps ICS flashable zip (optional, find it somewhere if you want it)

Actually flashing CM9 is not that hard. The problem is that we want to make sure we have a way out of any problems we might cause (maybe you get sick of CM9 for example.) There are slight differences between the 8 and 16GB versions of the NT. These differences make a lot of the recovery methods for the 16GB not work on the 8GB. Do NOT flash anything to your tablet unless you are sure it works for the 8GB model!

Overview: What We Are Going To Do To Your Tablet

1. Create ClockWork Mod Recovery SD card
    2. Back up your existing stock system
    3. Save rombackup.zip, which contains files that are critical to the Stock OS
    4. Flash CM9

Step 1: Create CWM Recovery SD Card

This step is the most important because it lets us do just about everything else. It is very important that you follow this step precisely and not cut corners; for example, it is tempting to use xIndirect's Nook Tab Recovery Flasher app because it downloads CWM and flashes it to your tablet so you don't have to mess with an SD; the CWM version it flashes will not work on the 8GB tablet, and once you realize this and use the app to "revert to stock recovery", you will find that you have reverted to a 16GB stock recovery. I made this mistake, and so far don't know how to undo it (hopefully I won't have to).

1) Get your SD card readable in your computer

Alternate, perhaps easier method: Copy the contents of this file onto the sd card. Either do this or steps 2-4 below, whichever you prefer.

2) Unmount your SD card, but do not remove it
    3) Unzip the CWM image you downloaded above, which should contain myrecovery.img

4)In Linux, do the following:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=myrecovery.img of=WhateverTheMountPointofSDCardIs bs=1M
    Don't know how to find what your SD card's mount point is? TURN BACK.

In Windows, do the following:
    lavero.burgos said:
    - Format your sdcard with SDFormatter (recommended) or any other but not windows native.
    - Download latest Win32DiskImage-binary.zip from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
    - Unzip the file
    - Run Win32DiskImage.exe - Right click "run as administrator"
    - Click the folder button and navigate to select the .img file you just unzipped.
    - Click on the disk drive letter label on the right, and choose the letter that corresponds to your SD card.
    - Press Write. When it finishes, press Exit.
    - Safely eject/remove your sdcard and put it back to your NT
    - Plug your device to the a/c power or PC using the USB cable, let it power on by itself do not press any button.

Once this is done you should be able to place the SD card into your Nook Tablet, power it down, plug the USB cable while it is off, and it will turn on, show the Nook logo, a white screen with a cardboard box, and then load up CWM recovery.

Step 2: Nandroid Backup

This should be the simplest way to have a plan B - if you want to go back to stock ever, this should do it.

1) In ClockworkMod Recovery, press volume down until Backup and Restore is highlighted; press the home key to select it.
    2) Choose "Backup to Internal Sdcard"
    3) After a few minutes, verify that the backup was successfully completed.

You should have about 3.5GB free on your eMMC before the backup, and the backup will likely take about 800MB. (Please chime in if your backup is bigger / smaller.)

Step 3: Get Rombackup.zip

This file is very important. In the event that your tablet is completely borked, we could try flashing an image of a stock OS to it; however, there is a file in the stock OS called rombackup.zip which identifies your Nook when it tries to connect to BN's services. If you flash someone else's image you will have someone else's rombackup.zip and BN will not let you in.

1) On Ubuntu, with your tablet in CWM Recovery, do
    Code:
    $ adb shell
    This will open up a terminal to your tablet, where you must type these commands VERY PRECISELY (!!!!):
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt
    mkdir /mnt/factory
    mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/factory
    exit
    2)After "exit", you will be returned to your Ubuntu terminal; from there do
    Code:
    adb pull /mnt/factory/rombackup.zip
    3) Put that file somewhere safe! Dropbox is a good idea.

Step 4: Flash CM9

1) Reboot your tablet into stock OS one last time.
    2) Mount your nook's storage to your PC
    3) Place the cm9 update zip file you downloaded above onto the nook's storage
    4) Reboot into CWM Recovery
    5) Choose "Install zip from sdcard"
    6) Choose "Choose zip from internal sdcard"
    7) Find the CM9 zip, flash it
    8) Find gapps (if you got it), flash it
    9) NOT OPTIONALChoose "wipe data/factory reset" (if not visible, press power button to go back)
    10) Reboot, pray

Your tablet should boot into a shiny new operating system. If you get tired of it, just restore stock using nandroid (takes seconds and works without a problem.) The experience within CM9 is not so different from the 16GB; however you will find since it only has 512MB of ram instead of 1GB, apps have to restart a lot more frequently than you would hope, because they are killed by Android's memory management if you hop to too many other apps. That's the tradeoff for the $50 you saved, cheapskate.

MANY THANKS TO:
    • The entire CM9 Nook Tablet team (too many to list)
    • Meghdoot for producing a working 8GB recovery + answering some ?s
    • fattire, bauwks, etc - for cracking the **** out of the security on these things
    • Anybody else I left out - this dev community just amazes me

Lastly - this is my first attempt at being useful on XDA, so please let me know if I made any mistakes, or if there is something you think I should add.
    Install CM9 v.04 on 8GB internal emmc

It looks like they have figured out what went wrong with v.04.:D

Here is the link to Succulent's "newboot.zip" file: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26686148&postcount=604
    And here are the simple instructions for how to make it work (if you want to start fresh & redo your setup or, if you still have v.03 on the Nook): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26694005&postcount=609

It worked for me and apparently for everyone that uses it.

Ok. Here is the process that I used to get back where I was on .03 before everything went into a boot loop. Due to the boot loop, I reverted to stock (actually Veronica's Ribbon Root).

1. Use CWM SDCard to flash CM9.04 (just to get the CyanoBoot going) (from OP here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23340987&postcount=1)
    2. Reboot and hold the N button to get into Cyanoboot
    3. Select "Start Fastboot"
    4. Connect computer via USB
    5. On the computer, use the terminal and cd to the downloaded recovery0.04.img file (from OP here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23340987&postcount=1)
    6. In Terminal, issue the command, "sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery0.04.img" (replaces the stock recovery with the CWM recovery from the OP)
    7. Put SDCard in Nook (card contains (previous B/U of CM9.03, CM9.04.zip, newboot.zip, and gapps.zip)
    8. Reboot the Nook and return to Cyanoboot
    9. Select "Internal Recovery"
    10. Restore Backup of CM9.03 (to get my settings back)
    11. Clear cache & Dalvik
    12. Flash CM9.04
    13. Flash newboot.zip
    14. flash gapps.zip
    15. Reboot system
    When it powered up, it came back to where my CM9.03 was at the last backup.
    Note: any time that you do a "wipe dalvik" on ICS, your first boot will send a dialog that says, "Android is upgrading, optimizing application XX of YY." It only last a few seconds and is totally normal.

Actually, I probably could have skipped a few steps by using the advanced options in restore to only restore the settings from .03 but I felt more comfortable doing it this way and it only took a couple minutes longer.
    In the O.P., your step 3 says...
    "Save rombackup.zip, which contains files that are critical to the Stock OS"
    Could you make a copy of that file available for download?

This is the contents, however the values in some of the files are unique to each device. Maybe changing some of the values in the files would work for you.

Anyt3.jpg
    Thanks. I see what you mean about the unique values. I don't know how I could do much with this data however.
    Interestingly, my s/n is still intact. When I do ADB, it displays properly. But SOMETHING is still missing and it will not boot internally.

Have you tried creating a Rombackup.zip as described? It sounds like you may still have all the files.
    Thanks to all

I was about to post something quite similar today, but you beat me to it. Thanks!

It is OK to hit the "thanks" button. :cool:

Actually, you did us all a favor by specifically offering the NT8 instructions in the OP. So many posts do not define whether it is good for NT8 or NT16.

My take... If they don't say otherwise, assume that they are using an NT16. We NT8 users are the only ones that are concerned about the difference.

All of us working together get much more accomplished than if we work independently. My website (http://raywaldo.com) provides simple instructions to users who find all of the posts on XDA too confusing. The previous post is the kind of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) article that I have on the site.