Windows Phone 7 build 7.0.0.6077--for WP7 emulator only

Search This thread

ciko84xp

Jul 16, 2008
Rossano Calabro
hey people.. how i can run the emulator? i've downloaded 3 times the .rar archive, but if i put it on the file XDE.exe the emulator doesn't start!

I've the same problem if i extract the .rar archive, and put the folder on the XDE.exe!

I know that i need a .bin file to start emulation.. but i can't be able to find it! Where i can found it?

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
I ditched the XDE_AppProv settings and have been trying different variations with some of the XML files and can only seem to break the shortcuts, not add any. Arg.

Paul-Lemonidis

Jul 31, 2008
Not exactly helpful

Several people have asked how to run this wretched emualator package and we have at best received vague answers that don't help us. Is the concept of a simple image file that can simply be opened using file open too much to ask! Just like a VHD file for Virtual PC. I was under perhaps the naive, maybe wrong, assumption that what we were getting here is a WM7 device that through emulation would run in a virtual environment. Just like I build and run Windows 2008, Exchange 2007 etc I can actually boot up a real server in a vitrual isolated hardware environemnt! Is this not the purpose of this? I genuinely expected to open a file and for VS to run the file and emulate a Windows 7 mobile device just as if I had one in my hand, albeit with a number of things not being possible at this point in time. Is this what this is about or have I missed something? If not then how do I\We actually get the emulation to work please?

From what I can make out what we have here is a car emulator that shows you all around the engine but cannot even turn the igntion key! Unless you are a car engineer utterly pointless! In essence an emulator that doesn't emulate!!!!????

Last edited:

walshieau

Nov 7, 2006
Good work guys...

Some points though...

1. Its CE7 (Word is that the new multi-core CPU's from Qualcomm are due out mid this year for WP7)
  2. Its Silverlight 3 with some extra features, NOT Silverlight 4 (even though it states that in the Shell Core). Word is the next CTP it will be Silverlight 4.
  3. The emulator instruction set is x86.
  4. The HD2 pic is a fake. :)
  5. That is all :)

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
hey people.. how i can run the emulator? i've downloaded 3 times the .rar archive, but if i put it on the file XDE.exe the emulator doesn't start!

I've the same problem if i extract the .rar archive, and put the folder on the XDE.exe!

I know that i need a .bin file to start emulation.. but i can't be able to find it! Where i can found it?

Several people have asked how to run this wretched emualator package and we have at best received vague answers that don't help us. Is the concept of a simple image file that can simply be opened using file open too much to ask! Just like a VHD file for Virtual PC. Then again I guess that wouldnt make things suitably complicated and cryptic!

I am not looking to become a programmer. I was under perhaps the naive, maybe wrong, assumption that what we were getting here is a WM7 device that through emulation would run in a virtual environment. Just like I build and run Windows 2008, Exchange 2007 etc I can actually boot up a real server in a vitrual isolated hardware environemnt! Is this not the purpose of this? I genuinely expected to open a file and for VS to run the file and emulate a Windows 7 mobile device just as if I had one in my hand, albeit with a number of things not being possible at this point in time. Is this what this is about or have I missed something? If not then how do I\We actually get the emulation to work please?

im sry but how would go about running this emulator on there comp?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

First, it's already been answered.
Second, it's not rocket science. From a command line run "xde.exe WM70C1.bin" or create a new windows phone development project and hit the play button
Third, this is for developers! If you're not a developer, it's useless to you so stop *****ing about it. The only thing you can do (other than test your applications) is see some settings and browse the web with internet explorer. Whoopty friggen do.
Fourth, this thread is about modifying/researching the contents of the emulator ROM... not people who can't even figure out how to start the thing.

Paul-Lemonidis

Jul 31, 2008
Mor correctly

So more correctly then and please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken here! It is an emulation platform for developing apps. That is not quite the same as an emulator. The word emulator does imply you can actually run the OS as if you had a physical device in your hand and hence why there is so much confusion I suspect? If so I agree this is pointless to non-programmers but the article did very much give the impression that you could run up a Windows Mobile 7 phone on a PC platform as if were a fully bootable ROM.

I always find it amazing how programmers think everything is so obvious! Well yes, anything is if you know it!

Last edited:

darrengladysz

Sep 19, 2008
Montreal
Don't know if this can help

I just came across this website:

/sviluppomobile.blogspot.com/2010/03/wmp7-emulator-unlock.html

need to add http:/ as I can yet post links!!

Seems that he has managed to unlock the emulator as he is posting screenshots of the os.

He also has a bin file to download.

BTW no sqlce in WP7 :(

Attachments

• ModifiedEmulator.jpg
    ModifiedEmulator.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 247
  • ModifiedEmulator2.jpg
    ModifiedEmulator2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 185
  • ModifiedEmulator3.jpg
    ModifiedEmulator3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
I just came across this website:

/sviluppomobile.blogspot.com/2010/03/wmp7-emulator-unlock.html

need to add http:/ as I can yet post links!!

Seems that he has managed to unlock the emulator as he is posting screenshots of the os.

He also has a bin file to download.

BTW no sqlce in WP7 :(

Ok, I'll bite. I'll be the guinea pig. Downloading now.

darrengladysz

Sep 19, 2008
Montreal
It works... with some errors but have working phone emulator

Here is how you do this:

-1 (forgot to add) download the developper tools (Visual Studio 10 express) from Microsoft:

can't post links so google:

Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

-.5 install these

1. download the bin from my previous link

2. rename the file to WM70C1.bin

3. go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\WindowsPhone\v7.0\Emulation\Images

4. rename the existing WM70C1.bin to WM70C1_old.bin

5. copy paste the downloaded bin file

Voila ...

Last edited:

darrengladysz

Sep 19, 2008
Montreal
omg... it works!!!!!!!!!!!! soooooooooooo awesome. Now I want to find out how he did it lol.

Yes, but there are no games on it. Not even solitaire or freecell :(

IE works however.

BTW For using on our existing devices Qualcomm and the other chip manufactures should be starting to distribute the drivers for WP7 in their development kits given to manufacturers. This may help in finding the drivers should we want to make a rom. I am sure Samsung, Qualcomm etc. and the other have written these already.

darrengladysz

Sep 19, 2008
Montreal
Shorcuts with dll and apps

If you mouse-touch scroll to the shortcuts you get a list of the dll's used in the application as well as the exe for various applications.

If you select the "show all file" option you can see the xml for the various policies including security. This may be helpful to map this thing out.

You can also go into system info and click on the yellow arrow. It lists the processor as x86/i486 which is logical as it is on the pc. Now the big question is to ascertain whether the emulator is a true emulator or not. In light of their haste to get this thing out I would think this may be the real mckoy.

I clicked on "install shell chrome" have to determine what this one does.

From some of the missing tabs, looks like there is work to be done on the ui.

Calendar, calculator and other apps seems to be working. Mobile office seems to be awful, at least at this stage.

Back for more.

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
Some notes...
interesting build info.
word is not even close to done.
They're using SkyDrive for file storage!
I can't get any email/facebook/etc to sync.
Zune section works great, even talks to the marketplace!
This is defintely not the same build of office shown (sparingly) at MIX.
No copy/paste in the office menus (like some of the files hinted at).

I crashed the OS heh. Definitely still early build. Pretty plain to see.

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
If you mouse-touch scroll to the shortcuts you get a list of the dll's used in the application as well as the exe for various applications.

If you select the "show all file" option you can see the xml for the various policies including security. This may be helpful to map this thing out.

You can also go into system info and click on the yellow arrow. It lists the processor as x86/i486 which is logical as it is on the pc. Now the big question is to ascertain whether the emulator is a true emulator or not. In light of their haste to get this thing out I would think this may be the real mckoy.

I clicked on "install shell chrome" have to determine what this one does.

From some of the missing tabs, looks like there is work to be done on the ui.

Calendar, calculator and other apps seems to be working. Mobile office seems to be awful, at least at this stage.

Back for more.

The "install chrome" is what adds that yellow arrow.

dwizzy130

Nov 14, 2007
This is a very noob question but how do we start the emulator? I can't seem to find any shortcuts...

dwizzy130

RustyGrom

Apr 18, 2006
Orlando
Here's some screenshots. A lot of missing stuff still.

Camera app. Kinda cool.
camerauq.jpg

Office uses skydrive
officemobileskydrive.jpg

welcome to office mobile
officemobilewelcome.jpg

wp7findmyphone.jpg

wp7generalsettings.jpg

Mail config screen
wp7mailsetup.jpg

ota updates!
wp7phoneupdate.jpg

internal app sys info
wp7sysinfo.jpg

running processes
wp7sysinfo2.jpg

voice search!!!!!!!
wp7voicesearch.jpg

more than just search
wp7voicesearch2.jpg

wp7voicesearch3.jpg

word is not even close to done
wp7word.jpg

geotagging
wp7cameralocation.jpg

boring but I haven't seen this... editing a contact
wp7editcontactphone.jpg

Last edited:

TaoCA

Apr 2, 2007
You can cook your own emulator ROM with WP7

Here is the tools:
BOOOFF and XIPPort.

With B000FF:
1. Convert BIN->NB0
2. In ReplaceFiles hit "NB0 map" to get the file listing of the ROM
3. (PROFIT!)
4. Apply changes to file (or remove them) (It's applying changes directly, so be carefull)
5. Convert NB0->BIN
6. Apply "Fix 12" (Select original .bin file, and the converted one)
7. Run emulator
"C:\%PROGRAM FILES%\Microsoft XDE\1.0\XDE.exe" "%YOUR BIN HERE"

With XIPPort:
You are able to make a full dump of ROM
1. Hit "dump .bin". It will create an "OUT" folder with "FILES" and "MODULES" subfolder. You can modify files, or remove them.
2. When you done,hit "write .nb0" it will create a .nb0 file from OUT folder.
3. Use B000FF to convert nb0->bin and apply "Fix 12" (from step 5 in B000FF)

I'm fairly new to cooking roms, but is there any other files/platforms that need to be installed to follow these instructions? I'm having trouble with the decompress (in other posts further into the thread).

I've tried two different machines and XIPPort gives me an error that it can't find the OUT\MODULES\name.bin path, so I figured I must be missing something.

Thanks for any help, sorry to clutter the thread.

darrengladysz

Sep 19, 2008
Montreal
This is a very noob question but how do we start the emulator? I can't seem to find any shortcuts...

dwizzy130

To start the emulator:

1. launch vs2010 using the start menu visual studio express

2. when launched click file and then new project

You don't need to do anything or add any code

3. select windows phone application

4. click the green arrow in the toolbar or use build - deploy solution

That is it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cook your own WMp7 ROM

You can cook your own emulator ROM with WP7

Here is the tools:
    BOOOFF and XIPPort.

With B000FF:
    1. Convert BIN->NB0
    2. In ReplaceFiles hit "NB0 map" to get the file listing of the ROM
    3. (PROFIT!)
    4. Apply changes to file (or remove them) (It's applying changes directly, so be carefull)
    5. Convert NB0->BIN
    6. Apply "Fix 12" (Select original .bin file, and the converted one)
    7. Run emulator
    "C:\%PROGRAM FILES%\Microsoft XDE\1.0\XDE.exe" "%YOUR BIN HERE"

With XIPPort:
    You are able to make a full dump of ROM
    1. Hit "dump .bin". It will create an "OUT" folder with "FILES" and "MODULES" subfolder. You can modify files, or remove them.
    2. When you done,hit "write .nb0" it will create a .nb0 file from OUT folder.
    3. Use B000FF to convert nb0->bin and apply "Fix 12" (from step 5 in B000FF)
    Can anyone post another link for the new WMP7 Unlocked Emulator,
    because the uploader decided to take down the link
    Bump.

The latest build I have is 7629. I'm struggling to find a dump of a more recent build. Does someone have a lead?

You can always do it yourself, as long as you have the BIN.