Modify build.prop to look like a Nexus S or Droid 3 for more market access

Search This thread

cliffmidnite

Mar 25, 2010
K' brotha. Just need your help to test if Tintin and GTA3 work well on CM7 Alpha Final or not. My NT does not arrive yet.

I have gta3 and it runs great on cm7 alpha final with the stock cm7 alpha final build.prop. i didnt have to do any spoofs. I also have shadowgun, nova 2, modern combat 3, brothers in arms 2, real soccer 2012, and they all download and run without any mods to build.prop on cm7 alpha final. I dont have tintin though, but it shows up in market. I just dont want to spend 7 bucks till i beat my other games unkess it goes on sale

sent from my Nook Tablet 16GB Cyanogenmod alpha

jhall1990

Dec 29, 2011
I have tried spoofing my nook tablet to show up as a droid 3, but when I go to the market it is now showing my device is an Unknown Unknown. I thought that I might have had a typo when modifying the build.prop file but I copied and pasted everything so I'm not sure what the issue is, any ideas?

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
I have tried spoofing my nook tablet to show up as a droid 3, but when I go to the market it is now showing my device is an Unknown Unknown. I thought that I might have had a typo when modifying the build.prop file but I copied and pasted everything so I'm not sure what the issue is, any ideas?

Hmmm, it's still possible that you made an error. Go through each line manually that needed changed and verify that they read exactly as they should. Then reboot and check the market.

jhall1990

Dec 29, 2011
Hmmm, it's still possible that you made an error. Go through each line manually that needed changed and verify that they read exactly as they should. Then reboot and check the market.

I am sure that I copied it right because I copied the build.prop file to my computer and edited it from there copy and pasting the lines from the initial post.

Edit: I tried putting the origonal file back and now I cannot get it back to saying Nook tablet. It looks like something else is wrong but im not sure what.

Last edited:

myl0h

Feb 7, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I have a friend running the nook&zergy root. I've been trying to modify my friends nook tablet build.Prop to mimic the droid 3 and the nexus s. Despite seeing more apps on there market, when I try to download the apps it says my device is incompatible. I tried modifying the lcd density within the build.Prop file. Tried shortening the lcd density to one line. Still to no avail. Has anyone else been successful with their tablets running the nook&zergy, snowball or brianf21's rooting method?

Just in case, the app in question is "drawing something free".

thanks

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Are you trying to download from them from a browser? All apps are visible to your device on the android website, whether they're compatible or not.

myl0h

Feb 7, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Tried from Google Play, says its incompatible. When I went through the browser, it displayed the device as Nexus S or Droid 3 (i tried both of the build.prop) but it was grey out and said it was not compatible.

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
It might just be incompatible with both of those build.props then. I can't confirm that though because I'm not on the stock ROM currently.

jhall1990

Dec 29, 2011
I am still unable to get my nook to say that it is a nook tablet or anything else for that matter. If I copy the build.prop from my droid3 would it work?

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Well, I have the stock build.prop for the NT if you want that to try and see it you can get the market to recognize you have an NT again.

As for getting the Droid3 build.prop to work, not sure what to say. I know it worked perfectly for me when I did it. I just edited the lines that were listed in the Droid3 OP link, rebooted, and it showed the spoofed device in the market.

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Last edited:

cliffmidnite

Mar 25, 2010
Tried from Google Play, says its incompatible. When I went through the browser, it displayed the device as Nexus S or Droid 3 (i tried both of the build.prop) but it was grey out and said it was not compatible.

I used the zerk rush root and did many build.prop spoofs successfully. Droid 3 and nexus s were both successful. I havr even done motorola and acer tablet spoofs on my nook tab. I had success on stock rooted and cm7 internal aplha 12 using the droid 3 changes with the most
sccess. I have done all my edits with root explorer and made the changes without using computer. I suggest trying that as your pc notepad may screw up the formatting somehow. You also could get the new cm7 alpha final which is alrrady tweaked to show more apps out of the box. I would also keep miltiple build.pro filed in my system folder and just rename the to build.prop.nexus or build.prop.droid3 or build.prop.stock. once you want to load one, rename to build.prop then go to applications, settings ,running ,google play, clear rata and cqche then reboot. You should be in good shape. Somr of the pastes in ths thread tend to cut off parts of the fingerprint id at the end, so make surr you were getting all of that. Hand typing and double checking will make this work for you

sent from my Nook Tablet 16GB Cyanogenmod

Last edited:

myl0h

Feb 7, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I used the zerk rush root and did many build.prop spoofs successfully. Droid 3 and nexus s were both successful. I havr even done motorola and acer tablet spoofs on my nook tab. I had success on stock rooted and cm7 internal aplha 12 using the droid 3 changes with the most
sccess. I have done all my edits with root explorer and made the changes without using computer. I suggest trying that as your pc notepad may screw up the formatting somehow. You also could get the new cm7 alpha final which is alrrady tweaked to show more apps out of the box. I would also keep miltiple build.pro filed in my system folder and just rename the to build.prop.nexus or build.prop.droid3 or build.prop.stock. once you want to load one, rename to build.prop then go to applications, settings ,running ,google play, clear rata and cqche then reboot. You should be in good shape. Somr of the pastes in ths thread tend to cut off parts of the fingerprint id at the end, so make surr you were getting all of that. Hand typing and double checking will make this work for you

Thanks Cliff & Solar.Plexus for the advice.

I personally have CM7 final alpha on my NT already and had Droid3 as my build.prop. I'm all set :D

The real problem arose when I was trying to change my friend's build.prop on her NT which she insists on keeping the Nook&Zergy root method. Oh wells.

I have been using the ESFile explorer text editor to edit the build.prop. I'm not entirely sure why it's not registering the change in build.prop so that she can download Facebook app and etc (the apps that displays as incompatible in the first place) If I get the chance I'll try Droid3 build prop again, if not, I guess she's SOL haha.

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks Cliff & Solar.Plexus for the advice.

I personally have CM7 final alpha on my NT already and had Droid3 as my build.prop. I'm all set :D

The real problem arose when I was trying to change my friend's build.prop on her NT which she insists on keeping the Nook&Zergy root method. Oh wells.

I have been using the ESFile explorer text editor to edit the build.prop. I'm not entirely sure why it's not registering the change in build.prop so that she can download Facebook app and etc (the apps that displays as incompatible in the first place) If I get the chance I'll try Droid3 build prop again, if not, I guess she's SOL haha.

Do you mean ES File Editor isn't saving the changes you make? If that's the case, you could try out an app on the market called "build.prop editor". It opens up straight to the build.prop of your device to edit and I believe it creates a backup too.

myl0h

Feb 7, 2012
Honolulu, HI
Oh no, the changes were saved. Just don't know why google play still says its incompatible even after reboot and clearing market cache/data. Sorry for the bad wording.

cliffmidnite

Mar 25, 2010
What app were you trying to get mylo? These prop changes still dont make every app compatible via market. Most apps will definately work, its just the matter of the market filtering them out. You could get the app somewhere else and sideload it or keep changing build.props until you can download it from market then change back to the prop file you prefer.

sent from my Nook Tablet 16GB Cyanogenmod alpha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The nexus s and droid 3 have both helped open up the google market to NT users. See posts below for more info on how to edit the build.prop file to spoof the google market.

Droid 3:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20991691&postcount=9

Nexus S:
    http://geeknizer.com/install-incompatible-unsupported-apps-from-android-market/

Galaxy Nexus:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21642957&postcount=69

Nexus CDMA:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21221225&postcount=50

Razr:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21298860&postcount=61
    I successfully edited my build.prop file to spoof a Droid 3 on Android Market. I was able to see, purchase, install, and run GTA 3 and Asphalt 6 directly from the Market.

Modern Combat 3 should run correctly too, but I won't know for sure until my 32gig SD card comes in the mail. 4gigs isn't enough space for many games. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMAP#OMAP_4
    Half the RAM aside, the Droid 3 is identical in CPU and GPU to the Nook Tablet so it seems like a superior choice to spoof from a compatibility standpoint.

IMO, the BEST choice would be to spoof a Droid Bionic (or even a Droid RAZR) since it has the same CPU, GPU, and RAM. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the build.prop to one of those to test.

Spoofing the latter would probably overcome the "incompatible game, please request a refund screen" that I encountered when I attempted to install backed up .apks of Nova and 9mm from my Droid X onto my Nook Tablet.

Directions (The standard disclaimer of doing this at your own risk applies.)

I used Root Explorer to navigate to:
    Code:
    /system

Made a copy of my factory build.prop file on my SD card (Root Explorer should make a backup itself, but two is one and one is none. ;-) )

Pressed the
    Code:
    Mount R/W
    on the top so I could edit the build.prop file.

Then I long pressed on build.prop and selected
    Code:
    Open in Text Editor

I then modified the build.prop file as follows:
    Code:
    Ro.product.device=cdma_solana
    Ro.product.model=DROID3
    Ro.product.brand=verizon
    Ro.product.name=solana_vzw
    Ro.product.board=solana
    Ro.product.manufacturer=motorola
    Ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/solana_vzw/cdma_solana:2.3.4/5.5.1_84_D3G-20_TA-9/110613:user/release-keys

After making the changes and saving them, I pressed the
    Code:
    Mount R/O
    button.

Note: The original permissions of the build.prop
    Code:
    rw-r--r--
    SHOULDN'T change if you simply edit the original file. If they somehow do change, simply remount the /system directory as R/W, long press build.prop, press permissions, and make the appropriate selections.

After that I exited back to my app drawer and launched the Nook Hidden Settings app that I installed from the thread here on the NT development forum.

Then I went to
    Code:
    Application Settings->Manage Applications->All->Market
    and clicked the
    Code:
    clear cache
    and
    Code:
    Clear data
    buttons.

Finally, I rebooted, clicked on my market icon, accepted Google's terms, and then I was off to the races. :D

Thanks go to Atrix_E for this helpful post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20219889&postcount=52

And tcrews for posting the Droid 3 build.prop contents here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/159002-build-prop-those-wanting-look.html

If anyone has a stock Droid Bionic/RAZR build.prop please share it. :cool:

I hope this post helps others. :)

Well, I use it all the time :p
    I made a zip to install it in cwm. Copy to SDCard and reboot into cwm and install from zip, select zip, you know the drill... Once installed, you will need a terminal to run the script. I use Android Terminal Emulator, it's free in the market. You need to be rooted to use this.
    Open the terminal and type
    su
    to get root priviledge and then, to designate which build.prop you want, use the switch "3" for Droid 3 or "s" for Nexus S or "nt" for Nook Tablet stock. It's case sensitive, if you type the wrong thing it will let you know. So, for example
    cprop 3
    Will load the Droid 3 build.prop, or
    cprop s
    will load the Nexus S build prop,
    cprop nt
    will load the stock NT build.prop...
    I named it "cprop" as in 'c'hange build.'prop'
    If you have made any changes to your build.prop YOU WILL LOSE THEM! This does not add to the build.prop, it replaces it. Might want to make a backup first.
    This script will delete market data and REBOOT your device, so don't be scared. :)
    Use at your own risk!
    I claim no responsibilty if this crashes your device or causes your dog to run away, etc, etc...

Have fun!

(Sheesh! 10 downloads and not one thanks... tough crowd lol)
    I successfully edited my build.prop file to spoof a Droid 3 on Android Market. I was able to see, purchase, install, and run GTA 3 and Asphalt 6 directly from the Market.

Modern Combat 3 should run correctly too, but I won't know for sure until my 32gig SD card comes in the mail. 4gigs isn't enough space for many games. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMAP#OMAP_4
    Half the RAM aside, the Droid 3 is identical in CPU and GPU to the Nook Tablet so it seems like a superior choice to spoof from a compatibility standpoint.

IMO, the BEST choice would be to spoof a Droid Bionic (or even a Droid RAZR) since it has the same CPU, GPU, and RAM. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the build.prop to one of those to test.

Spoofing the latter would probably overcome the "incompatible game, please request a refund screen" that I encountered when I attempted to install backed up .apks of Nova and 9mm from my Droid X onto my Nook Tablet.

Directions (The standard disclaimer of doing this at your own risk applies.)

I used Root Explorer to navigate to:
    Code:
    /system

Made a copy of my factory build.prop file on my SD card (Root Explorer should make a backup itself, but two is one and one is none. ;-) )

Pressed the
    Code:
    Mount R/W
    on the top so I could edit the build.prop file.

Then I long pressed on build.prop and selected
    Code:
    Open in Text Editor

I then modified the build.prop file as follows:
    Code:
    Ro.product.model=DROID3
    Ro.product.brand=verizon
    Ro.product.board=solana
    Ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/solana_vzw/cdma_solana:2.3.4/5.5.1_84_D3G-20_TA-9/110613:user/release-keys

After making the changes and saving them, I pressed the
    Code:
    Mount R/O
    button.

Note: The original permissions of the build.prop
    Code:
    ---rwxr-x
    SHOULDN'T change if you simply edit the original file. If they somehow do change, simply remount the /system directory as R/W, long press build.prop, press permissions, and make the appropriate selections.

After that I exited back to my app drawer and launched the Nook Hidden Settings app that I installed from the thread here on the NT development forum.

Then I went to
    Code:
    Application Settings->Manage Applications->All->Market
    and clicked the
    Code:
    clear cache
    and
    Code:
    Clear data
    buttons.

Finally, I rebooted, clicked on my market icon, accepted Google's terms, and then I was off to the races. :D

Thanks go to Atrix_E for this helpful post:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20219889&postcount=52

And tcrews for posting the Droid 3 build.prop contents here:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3-hacks/159002-build-prop-those-wanting-look.html

If anyone has a stock Droid Bionic/RAZR build.prop please share it. :cool:

I hope this post helps others. :)

So here is the build.prop for my bionic:

# begin build properties
    # autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
    ro.build.id=5.5.1_84_DBN-62_MR-2
    ro.build.display.id=[K]IN3TX V1.0
    ro.build.version.incremental=111028
    ro.build.version.sdk=10
    ro.build.version.codename=REL
    ro.build.version.release=2.3.4
    ro.build.date=Fri Oct 28 17:35:07 CDT 2011
    ro.build.date.utc=1319841307
    ro.build.type=user
    ro.build.user=droidth3ory
    ro.build.host=ROMDestroy3r
    ro.build.tags=release-keys
    ro.product.model=DROID BIONIC
    ro.product.brand=verizon
    ro.product.name=targa_vzw
    ro.product.device=cdma_targa
    ro.product.board=targa
    ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
    ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
    ro.product.manufacturer=motorola
    ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=US
    ro.wifi.channels=
    ro.board.platform=omap4
    # ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
    ro.build.product=targa_vzw
    # Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
    ro.build.description=cdma_targa-user 2.3.4 5.5.1_84_DBN-62_MR-2 111108 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/targa_vzw/cdma_targa:2.3.4/5.5.1_84_DBN-62_MR-2/111108:user/release-keys
    # end build properties
    #
    # system.prop for CDMA Droidwe
    #
    # rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-moto-umts-1.so
    rild.libpath=/system/lib/libmoto_ril.so
    rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyO0
    ro.sf.lcd_density=240
    ro.default_usb_mode=2
    ro.mot.ril.danlist=611,*611,#611
    persist.ril.ecclist=911,*911,#911
    persist.ril.modem.mode =1
    # This defines the max event window manager can
    # handle in 1 s. We may adjust this # for performance
    # reason later
    windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=100

# USB modes allowed for UI and switching
    ro.ngp_available=1
    ro.modem_available=0

# Default network type.
    # 4 => CDMA/EVDO. To be used until Targa has LTE SFN
    # 7 => GLOBAL.
    ro.telephony.default_network=7
    ro.com.google.clientid=android-motorola
    ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
    ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
    ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310004
    ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Verizon
    ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps=7

I cut out some of it, if you need it just pm me.
    I'll be honest and say I have no idea what to do with it. I'm just posting hoping someone can do something with it. I modded my tablet build.prop with the droid 3 like in your post and have Modern Combat 3 running great as well as Shadow Gun and Deep Space, but can't get Asphalt 6 past the intro screen with both the market version and a galaxy tab version. I may try the nexus build.prop next and see what that does.
    I can also verify that I was able to see a lot more apps and games in the market with the Droid 3 mod.
    hi Bridge66

at first my build.prop had been changed to spoof the Droid3:
    Ro.product.model=DROID3
    Ro.product.brand=verizon
    Ro.product.board=solana

then I followed the same link as you and changed just the first 3 lines to spoof a Nexus-S
    ro.product.model=Nexus S
    ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
    ro.build.fingerprint=google/soju/crespo:2.3.4/GRJ22/121341:user/release-keys

.insafon.