[Q] Is there something significant wrong with the Photon Q?

Search This thread

evancg

Jul 18, 2010
I have a five line plan with a couple iPhone 5's and an HTC One. Two of the lines are very old 3G phones (Samsung Intercept and Transform). One of them is dying, and the other one is likely going to be used more than it has in the past, so I'm looking at buying a couple off contract, newer, LTE capable phones. Both users prefer keyboards, so of course the Photon Q is the primary option.

I know the phone is a couple of years old now, but is there a specific reason these can be had for $100 new from the likes of eBay and Amazon? Is there anything knowingly wrong with the Photon Q that can't\will not ever be updated? At $100 each, I almost want to buy an extra just to have one as a backup.

Obviously the Q may not ever be updated to a later version of Android, but that aside, is there something I haven't found out about the Q that would make it an unreasonable off contract replacement??

Thanks,
Evan

treetolber

Jun 29, 2008
Las Vegas
OnePlus 11
I have a five line plan with a couple iPhone 5's and an HTC One. Two of the lines are very old 3G phones (Samsung Intercept and Transform). One of them is dying, and the other one is likely going to be used more than it has in the past, so I'm looking at buying a couple off contract, newer, LTE capable phones. Both users prefer keyboards, so of course the Photon Q is the primary option.

I know the phone is a couple of years old now, but is there a specific reason these can be had for $100 new from the likes of eBay and Amazon? Is there anything knowingly wrong with the Photon Q that can't\will not ever be updated? At $100 each, I almost want to buy an extra just to have one as a backup.

Obviously the Q may not ever be updated to a later version of Android, but that aside, is there something I haven't found out about the Q that would make it an unreasonable off contract replacement??

Thanks,
Evan

My wife had had one for a while now. She loved it until she dropped it and shattered the screen. But nonetheless she is a QWERTY lover also and that is the only thing with a horizontal QWERTY. I think that the price is where it is just because they are being phased out. Just like any 2 year old or so mobile. Couple that with the fact that Google has purchased Motorola they are probably working on new releases now.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Assuming you can accept that the device will only run on Sprint (SIM card is soldered / not user-accessible) I think it's a great device. 4.1.2 may be the last official, not sure. The aftermarket community has many flavors of 4.4.2.

Last edited:

evancg

Jul 18, 2010
Appreciate the input. Seems like these are a good deal for a less than perfect but great value Sprint LTE phone.