[Q] S3 lack of internal memory : will Play Store solve that ?

Search This thread

dizzy33

Apr 27, 2007
Hello all,

I just received my 16Go S3 a few weeks ago, and I was very disapointed to see that we only have 11Go of free space, which is very small and even more for a 500€ device... I feel like Samsung just stole one third of my internal memory ... I always had 32Go devices, and I feel really bad only having now this small space to install apps ...
I know there are work around solutions which will move apps from intermal memory to the SD card, but it does not work for all apps.
There's also a way to patch custom ROMs so that the external memory becomes the internal, but I want to keep the stock ROM and be able to update through official Samsung OTA's.

So I am now thinking of sending back my new S3 to the dealer, to buy a second hand 32Go S3 ...
Before doing that, I was thinking that maybe Google is planning to change Play Store in the way it installs apps : it would be great if it could ask where to install the apps (internal or external memory) prior to doing it.

Has anyone heard of this potentially future feature in Play Store ?
If it's not planned by Google, it would be great if this feature would be added to the Play Store by a non-Google developper ...

Or is a "Move to SD Card" feature planned by Google in the next Android version ?
This feature was available with previous versions of Android by running an ADB command but this does not work anymore on the S3.

Thanks

Last edited:

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
Good question, and would be a great addition to the Play Store. It should be available in the settings if they do implement it. However, as of not, there is no way to install apps to sd with the play store. However, there is a way to use "apps2sd." I think it may be in the general section. Sorry I don't have the link offhand, but you should be able to find it easily by searching apps2sd sprint galaxy s III on google

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
Everything that has pre installed stuff has this. Case in point- you buy a computer with 250GB of memory. Chances are you'll have somewhere around 240GB, because of all the pre-installed stuff.

If you buy a 32GB GS3 the full 32 won't be accessible.

Sent from Pluto.
qe9usehe.jpg

dizzy33

Apr 27, 2007
Everything that has pre installed stuff has this. Case in point- you buy a computer with 250GB of memory. Chances are you'll have somewhere around 240GB, because of all the pre-installed stuff.

If you buy a 32GB GS3 the full 32 won't be accessible.

Sent from Pluto.
qe9usehe.jpg

Of course you'll never have the memory capacity advertised, you always loose a small part of it ...
But here, droping from 16Go to 11Go, we're talking about loosing ONE THIRD of the advertised memory !!!
That's really too much and I never seen that before. Yesterday I checked the Galaxy Note of a friend and saw it was the exact same amount of free memory (11Go out of 16 ...). So apparently this problem is not restricted to the S3 but also to some other Samsung devices, and I hate this ...
On the SIII mini of my girlfriend, the free memory is 4Go ou of 8go, which is half of it just out of the box !!!
This is not fair from Samsung, they sould have advertised this, I really feel like they stole memory to us ...

I tried some apps like app2sd, move2sd, etc ... None were working on my S3, and even if it would work, it will not move the entire app and its data to the SD card, which may be a problem for app updates ...

I really don't understand why Android does not have a "move to sd card" feature, knowing that most of the android devices have an SD card slot.
And it would be so easy for a Google developper to let Play Store ask you where to install the apps ...
It's a big disapointment for me.

I now finally took the decision to send back the S3 to the dealer and search for a second hand 32Go S3, or wait one more year for the S4 ...

Last edited: