4.4.4 OTA update won't install

Search This thread

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
Hi there.
I have a nexus 4,temporarily rooted it with busybox installed and then fully unrooted it using SuperSU. When it was unrooted then I received the OTA and when I tried installing it I received an error during installation. I tried again and yet it failed. Any idea? I'm on stock 4.4.3 rooted now, with stock recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CalculatedRisk

Jan 20, 2013
Yes, you must return your /system partition to stock 4.4.3 before the device can take the 4.4.4 ota.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
Yes, you must return your /system partition to stock 4.4.3 before the device can take the 4.4.4 ota.

So what do you recommend?people with twrp and xposed have updated and found no errors. Why is this happening?

You must still have some system files that are modified. The exact failure message would help. You could also use this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53533289
Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

It just says error. That's it.

CalculatedRisk

Jan 20, 2013
There must be something else modified, and if there isn't, be on the safe side and flash stock /system anyway. If that still fails, then there is clearly something else wrong.

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
There must be something else modified, and if there isn't, be on the safe side and flash stock /system anyway. If that still fails, then there is clearly something else wrong.

The only thing I changed was installed busybox on /system/xbin

RikkKeith

Oct 10, 2011
Utah
I think there's something else wrong. There's quite a few, including myself that are receiving the same error with the OTA and have never rooted or even unlocked the boot loader. I'm on a Nexus 5 completely stock. I received the 4.4.3 OTA with no issues at all last week, but now after 4 separate attempts at 4.4.4, all 4 times failed. I even did a full system restore and immediately received the system update notification, only to have that one fail too. So whatever is going on has nothing to do with modifying the system because I haven't missed with anything. Unless we have completely different issues. But it doesn't seem like it?

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
I think there's something else wrong. There's quite a few, including myself that are receiving the same error with the OTA and have never rooted or even unlocked the boot loader. I'm on a Nexus 5 completely stock. I received the 4.4.3 OTA with no issues at all last week, but now after 4 separate attempts at 4.4.4, all 4 times failed. I even did a full system restore and immediately received the system update notification, only to have that one fail too. So whatever is going on has nothing to do with modifying the system because I haven't missed with anything. Unless we have completely different issues. But it doesn't seem like it?

You might be onto something. Mind messaging me if you find something? I'll do the same,if I find out something.
The Internet's pretty vast :)

Edit: check this out. It's spreading.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/nexus/WdXNit_2GZs/Acsj32C06BEJ

Last edited: