OK Google Causing Battery Drain

Search This thread

geebee1932

Nov 12, 2007
Parker
Anyone else seen this. I upgraded my Google search and enabled "ok google" for voice search. Since then the search app is using 36% of the battery a day. We when from going being able to make it through the day will about 50% battery left to getting the low battery warning each night. I have disabled the feature but actually miss is. Anyone else see this? Thanks.

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
Running fre3 and I use that ok Google feature everyday. Depending on what job site I'm at some days I have 80%+ left. If I'm at a jobsite with piss poor service I'll be at 65% after my 8 hour work day.

kcsween

Mar 27, 2012
Ft. Stewart
I've seen this only if I check the box 'From Lock Screen' option. Otherwise battery drain was normal for me. I don't think the Qualcom chip was designed for type type of always listening unlike the Moto X.

abjc89

Dec 29, 2008
San Francisco
Anyone else seen this. I upgraded my Google search and enabled "ok google" for voice search. Since then the search app is using 36% of the battery a day. We when from going being able to make it through the day will about 50% battery left to getting the low battery warning each night. I have disabled the feature but actually miss is. Anyone else see this? Thanks.

Did you enable the Ok Google from any screen and then also Ok Google even when the screen is off? These two features do not seem to use the on board voice recognition chip and instead keeps the phone in a listening mode (uses lots of battery). If you can go without the searching from screen off, your battery should improve. I put in a request for Google to integrate the "OK Google" into the samsung "Hi Galaxy" wake up code, they're working on it now as it would have battery benefits for all galaxy android users on S5 and note 3 (devices with Audience Stand Alone Voice Processor).