[App] Inverted (white text/black background) Htc Messaging Application - Mms.apk

Search This thread

JsChiSurf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Okay guys, at the suggestion/request of Konikub, who was told this couldn't be done, I, "Team LoneWolf" :D, decided to crack open the stock HTC Messaging application (Mms.apk), in order to investigate the possibility of inverting / applying a "dark theme" to the application.

It seems this has not been done before, and upon initial investigation, I can see why. Many of the HTC Sense applications share common resources (themes, styles, icons, etc), stored in com.htc.resources.apk. So, if you attempt to modify something used by Mms.apk, but stored in com.htc.resources.apk, you are going to unwittingly modify the appearance of other applications, and if other corresponding elements are not adjusted in those applications as well, you are going to have problems.

So, things that are "challenging" are the things I like to try and tackle, and inverting this application was a tough cookie, requiring extensive edits, in some cases to "undo" references to items stored / defined in com.htc.resources.apk, and rather, make them stand alone directly within Mms.apk. This required major edits to XML, Styles, Colors, local .pngs, and Smali/Java code. You wouldn't think simply themeing an app would require all of this, but Mms.apk did.

Essentially, what this mod has done, for the most part, is flip most text that was black, and made it white, and most backgrounds that were white, and made them black (inverted), giving you a bit more visual interest, as opposed to the stock "white" look.

For those running a dark theme on their phone, who prefer to use the stock messaging app (I use Handcent, lol), this should fit the bill nicely. Again, thanks to Koni-man for the "nudge" / "coaxing" to take a look at this.

Screen Shots:
mms_1.png
mms_2.png

mms_3.png
mms_4.png

mms_5.png
mms_6.png

Flash the attached (HtcMms.zip) via recovery. Also, let me know if I missed anything. It is certainly possible, as there are so many menu options / tasks that can be done, that I may have overlooked.

EDIT: MetaMorphs attachments added (morph_*.zip), to modify the default 'tap to compose' area from gray (shown in screen caps above), to black (screen capture), and another to return the application icon in the app drawer to stock color. DO NOT ATTEMPT to flash these. They must be applied using MetaMorph, AFTER you FIRST flash from recovery the original mod (HtcMms.zip). After applying using MetaMorph, you will need to, at a minimum, issue a Hot Restart, for the application to re-appear in the app drawer. It will disappear after applying the MetaMorph, and re-appear after a restart.

Attachments

• HtcMms.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,634
  • morph_tap_compose_black.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,254
  • morph_mms_icon.zip
    3 KB · Views: 965
  • HtcMmsRevertStock.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,319
Last edited:

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
I have to throw a thank you to Koni for the little nudge as well.
Indeed, he's a good guy. Honestly, if someone else came to me for help on this one, especially since I use Handcent (currently, I may switch now too!), I probably would have ignored the request. But, I always like to help Koni out when possible :).

pzvv

Jul 27, 2010
Very sweet I am downloading now

Might you be able to customie other apps like this? Like making the stock HTC music app and People app all black. That would make Sense even more epic.

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
You never cease to amazing us :D. Do you know if we can get conversation bubbles inside each conversation?? That was something I was about to PM you about.
Thanks. Hmmm, bubbles, that would be cool to pull off in the stock Mms as well. Maybe I'll see what it may entail. Probably pretty tough to pull off though...

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Very sweet I am downloading now

Might you be able to customie other apps like this? Like making the stock HTC music app and People app all black. That would make Sense even more epic.
Probably. It's just a matter of investing/finding the time to do so. Things like this can take many hours/days to pull off...

chillenandy321

Sep 23, 2010
Orlando
Just flashed I like but needs a few details.

1. It changes the message icon at the top notification bar default.
2. Make the "Tap to Compose" section black with white like the rest.
3. Make the main message icon default color not blacked out.

Other than that very good work!!

Last edited:

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Just flashed I like but needs a few details.

1. It changes the message icon at the top notification bar default.
2. Make the "Tap to Compose" section black with white like the rest.
3. Make the main message icon default color not blacked out.

Other than that very good work!!
Lol, I made it they way you described, since that's how I like it. If you have other preferences, have at it ;-) Those are simple personal preference tweaks.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Wow, JS. Nice. I want to use this, but question. Does this include any of the mods that were put into it from Calkulin. More specifically, the compression fix and 5MB limit fix. It's fine if it doesn't. They're just good to have.

I modded this from a stock Mms.apk. I'm not familiar with the details of the mods Calkulin did, but I assumed they were to the framework, as opposed directly to the .apk. I'll have to look, as, honestly, until now, I've never really used the HTC Messaging app.

BTW, I'll probably knock out a few MetaMorphs shortly, with some "other" preferences, such as the mentioned black "tap to compose" area. I did it that way initially, but didn't like it. It looked like too much black to me and made it hard to differentiate the compose versus non-compose areas. I'll probably also do a MM to restore the stock application icon. I wanted to darken it to denote it is a changed / darkened version of the app.

Reactions: t.o.m.

chubbzlou

Jul 24, 2007
NYC
Thanks been wanting this for a while. I knew you was going to give us something cool you was too quiet.
You are the man.

TEAM LONEWOLF one hack at a time :)

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

JsChiSurf

Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
Okay, FYI, I've attached 2 MetaMorphs to the end of the OP based on preference.

The first MetaMorph will change the "tap to compose" area from the modded gray in the OP, to black for those who prefer it, as shown below:

black_compose.png

The second MetaMorph simply returns the application icon in the app drawer to stock white.

Note, after applying using MetaMorph, you will need to, at a minimum, issue a Hot Restart, for the application to re-appear in the app drawer. It will disappear after applying the MetaMorph, and re-appear after a restart.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrededStar87

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Nice job Js really nice looking man, you have done some really good mods for the Evo communuty and I use them thanks again

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

kforcum

Aug 12, 2010
After just getting around to installing your rotary unlock mod, I am loving this!

Only problem is I can't install it. I go into the recovery menu, choose install from zip and then confirm, I get an error.

Installing update...
Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and updater-binary) to create working update .zip packages.

Any ideas why I get this error? I haven't changed anything since I installed the rotary lockscreen. Maybe switching to Amon recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay guys, at the suggestion/request of Konikub, who was told this couldn't be done, I, "Team LoneWolf" :D, decided to crack open the stock HTC Messaging application (Mms.apk), in order to investigate the possibility of inverting / applying a "dark theme" to the application.

It seems this has not been done before, and upon initial investigation, I can see why. Many of the HTC Sense applications share common resources (themes, styles, icons, etc), stored in com.htc.resources.apk. So, if you attempt to modify something used by Mms.apk, but stored in com.htc.resources.apk, you are going to unwittingly modify the appearance of other applications, and if other corresponding elements are not adjusted in those applications as well, you are going to have problems.

So, things that are "challenging" are the things I like to try and tackle, and inverting this application was a tough cookie, requiring extensive edits, in some cases to "undo" references to items stored / defined in com.htc.resources.apk, and rather, make them stand alone directly within Mms.apk. This required major edits to XML, Styles, Colors, local .pngs, and Smali/Java code. You wouldn't think simply themeing an app would require all of this, but Mms.apk did.

Essentially, what this mod has done, for the most part, is flip most text that was black, and made it white, and most backgrounds that were white, and made them black (inverted), giving you a bit more visual interest, as opposed to the stock "white" look.

For those running a dark theme on their phone, who prefer to use the stock messaging app (I use Handcent, lol), this should fit the bill nicely. Again, thanks to Koni-man for the "nudge" / "coaxing" to take a look at this.

Screen Shots:
    mms_1.png
    mms_2.png

mms_3.png
    mms_4.png

mms_5.png
    mms_6.png

Flash the attached (HtcMms.zip) via recovery. Also, let me know if I missed anything. It is certainly possible, as there are so many menu options / tasks that can be done, that I may have overlooked.

EDIT: MetaMorphs attachments added (morph_*.zip), to modify the default 'tap to compose' area from gray (shown in screen caps above), to black (screen capture), and another to return the application icon in the app drawer to stock color. DO NOT ATTEMPT to flash these. They must be applied using MetaMorph, AFTER you FIRST flash from recovery the original mod (HtcMms.zip). After applying using MetaMorph, you will need to, at a minimum, issue a Hot Restart, for the application to re-appear in the app drawer. It will disappear after applying the MetaMorph, and re-appear after a restart.

You never cease to amazing us :D. Do you know if we can get conversation bubbles inside each conversation?? That was something I was about to PM you about.
    I stand by my earlier post haha
    Ha, Ha, don't tempt me. When/if I finish this darn thing, you guys are going to go looking for the app in the app drawer, and find it under "my ding a ling"...
    [WIP] Self-contained Inverted Contacts Application

HtcContacts.apk is putting up a tougher fight to invert as a standalone / self-contained application than Mms.apk. There's still a lot of work to do, but here's a peek at the two main panels:

contacts_1.png
    contacts_2.png