TF300T burned up while docked!!!

Search This thread

cavsoldier19d

Feb 1, 2011
Florida
So I was laying on my bed watching TV when I noticed that very distinct smell of burnt electronics. I have a lot of electronics in my room, so I got up and started checking each power cable and device and couldn't initially identify the source. I laid back down and the smell went away, then it came back with a vengeance. So I was eventually able to trace it to my TF. I did NOT have it plugged in to AC power. No physical mods or overclocking have been done to the system.

After inspecting my dock and transformer, I found that the smell emanated from the left side dock connector on the dock as well as the power port on the dock. On the pad, the only noticeable damage was just to the left of the lower left side of the screen where the left side dock connector connects. It started to burn or melt whatever it is under the screen. It's difficult to say whether the pad or the dock or both is at fault for this. But my guess would be the dock.

Both are having to be replaced. I am still within my in-store return, however, best buy is having to order and ship it because they don't have any 16GB models left.

Pad Information...

Pad Serial: C30KCTxxxxxx
Firmware Version: 9.4.3.30
Bootloader: Locked
Dock Serial: C30KCTxxxxxx

Attachments

• tf300T.jpg
    tf300T.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:

newowner

Feb 28, 2009
that sucks! sorry to hear that, i hope it doesn't fortell bad quality control.

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
Glad you found it before things could've gotten worse.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

/dev/void

Jun 14, 2012
These babys can pull alot of amperes while charging, as evidenced by the scorching hot charging adapters and short recharge times.
My guess is that either the dock announced itself as a charger somehow (or however that works) or the tablet "thought" it was charging from an adapter (or however THAT works).

Edit: Or someone cast a lvl 10 fireball on your preciousss.
Yep... Definitely magic.

Last edited:

cavsoldier19d

Feb 1, 2011
Florida
These babys can pull alot of amperes while charging, as evidenced by the scorching hot charging adapters and short recharge times.
My guess is that either the dock announced itself as a charger somehow (or however that works) or the tablet "thought" it was charging from an adapter (or however THAT works).

Edit: Or someone cast a lvl 10 fireball on your preciousss.
Yep... Definitely magic.

Lol yea, a level 10 fireball seems more evident.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I wonder if this is an issue in related to the TF300 drawing power while docked in sleep mode (unplugged)?

I have had two of each and still the same issue. Both have the newest firmware and in both cases drained the batteries and were warm while in sleep mode while docked for the night. Weird.