Review of Omate TrueSmart smartwatch - first impression w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

dragon-tmd

Jan 16, 2005
BRD
Good review, but wehre can i download the companion app? Followed the four guys ond G+, but found no link.

mjb

Jan 20, 2005
Dunedin, NZ
Before anyone asks, yes, it can run ingress. But due to the display size, it's not usable.

(although, having ingress installed means I get notifications, which is a bonus)

MO3iusONE

Oct 16, 2009
I want this watch bad. Will be my next smart watch for sure

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Molter

Dec 17, 2013
Before anyone asks, yes, it can run ingress. But due to the display size, it's not usable.

(although, having ingress installed means I get notifications, which is a bonus)

How does Ingress deal with multiple devices?

Pretty nice review, now I'm waiting for my November Developer Edition 1GB/8GB very anxiously. How was the flashing process? Did yours come rooted or non-rooted? :laugh:

Srwilliams

Sep 30, 2007
From the pictures, a lot of dust seems to be stuck on the watch?

Yes I too was wondering about the same thing. I did not believe it to be dust but simply the unpolished look of the watch. I am hoping it is dust and I am wrong because from the pictures the watch does not look like a polished quality finish

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Yes I too was wondering about the same thing. I did not believe it to be dust but simply the unpolished look of the watch. I am hoping it is dust and I am wrong because from the pictures the watch does not look like a polished quality finish

The watch has glass screen - fingerprints will be noticeable, metal case - that one is solid, and cheap silicone/rubber wristband - sort of a dust magnet, no way around it since it's not replaceable. The value of TS is not in a rubber wristband, but in the watch itself :D

Srwilliams

Sep 30, 2007
The watch has glass screen - fingerprints will be noticeable, metal case - that one is solid, and cheap silicone/rubber wristband - sort of a dust magnet, no way around it since it's not replaceable. The value of TS is not in a rubber wristband, but in the watch itself :D

Vectron:

I can understand and appreciate your response.

By the way I want to go out my way to express to you my sincere appreciation of you making sure you addressed the speakerphone matter that I had raised in earlier posts. You are the first and only one who has addressed the issue and let us know that the speakerphone is plenty loud enough for calls, something I decried about the Samsung Galaxy Gear.

By the way that was the best user review I have seen on a phone or watch phone. Everyone ghets into all of these specifications and technical matters and forget to cover the basics like "how does the watch feel, look---is it too large---is the screen really visible---If I make a call can I hear the other person and vice versa---all of these nonthechnical matters that go into an everyday user experience (and not from a developers or customizer's perspective) you attempted to cover and quite well I might add.

I can't wait for you to be able to report on the companion, bluetooth tethering capabilities of the watch if that ever comes to be. But for all of us nontechies your review and evaluation has been heaven sent

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Vectron:

By the way I want to go out my way to express to you my sincere appreciation of you making sure you addressed the speakerphone matter that I had raised in earlier posts. You are the first and only one who has addressed the issue and let us know that the speakerphone is plenty loud enough for calls, something I decried about the Samsung Galaxy Gear.

By the way that was the best user review I have seen on a phone or watch phone. Everyone ghets into all of these specifications and technical matters and forget to cover the basics like "how does the watch feel, look---is it too large---is the screen really visible---If I make a call can I hear the other person and vice versa---all of these nonthechnical matters that go into an everyday user experience (and not from a developers or customizer's perspective) you attempted to cover and quite well I might add.

Reviews like his take a lot of load off the developers and is very much appreciated. Doesn't mean there won't a developer review but in this case his review definitely give us some breathing room and time to actually use the TS vs fixing things. For example, I still have yet to actually play with mine yet and I've had it over a week now.

Reactions: vectron

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Thank you all for the kind words! As you have seen from my Index Review page on XDA: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2192333 I take every review very seriously, either if its $5 screen protector or $15 case or $200 smartwatch or $500 headphones. I actually started doing these reviews with a main intent to answer questions left open by all those other "pro" dry reviews on specialized websites where they list spec, summarize their opinion in one paragraph and post a bunch of picture that still doesn't provide a clear "picture" of the product. I also hated user reviews posted in the forum with low res picture shots from a phone in poor lighting. But anyway...

TS shaping up to be a great product with unlimited capabilities. For those interested to start testing Companion app, make sure to check Kurt's G+ page with instructions (the references were provide in the latest KS update), and for those who already have the watch - YOU MUST flash it with Loki's latest ROM. It's not even a matter of question.

Reactions: Lokifish Marz

Srwilliams

Sep 30, 2007
Heh Vec:

Does your above post indicate that there is a Companion app or tool that is now available, but being tested and refined. If so that is great news and puts me in the position of making my purchase

Nov 23, 2007
Hello vectron,

Thanks for your good and detailed review. :)

I am currently using a MetaWatch Frame. I tried also Sony SmartWatch 2, but the vibration motor was too loud, so I returned it. All people around me would have heard every mail or SMS I got with this loud vibration.

The vibration of the MetaWatch is discreet, like it should be.

I saw in your reviews, that you tested a MetaWatch Frame.

1. Is the vibration of the Omate TrueSmart loud or discreet?
2. Is the vibration on the Omate TS louder than the MetaWatch Frame? How is the vibration of the TS compared with the MetaWatch Frame?
3. Did you also try the Sony SmartWatch 2? If yes, how is the vibration loudness of the TS compared with the Sony Smartwatch?

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
Hello vectron,

Thanks for your good and detailed review. :)

I am currently using a MetaWatch Frame. I tried also Sony SmartWatch 2, but the vibration motor was too loud, so I returned it. All people around me would have heard every mail or SMS I got with this loud vibration.

The vibration of the MetaWatch is discreet, like it should be.

I saw in your reviews, that you tested a MetaWatch Frame.

1. Is the vibration of the Omate TrueSmart loud or discreet?
2. Is the vibration on the Omate TS louder than the MetaWatch Frame? How is the vibration of the TS compared with the MetaWatch Frame?
3. Did you also try the Sony SmartWatch 2? If yes, how is the vibration loudness of the TS compared with the Sony Smartwatch?

Good questions. As you have seen, I been working with MetaWatch for awhile and have//reviewed their STRATA/FRAME models - the main purpose is to receive email notifications and not to miss calls. The vibration is just perfect with MW. I can't comment on SW2. I'm on the list of Sony accessory reviewers and have talked to their PR firm about review sample. Unfortunately, they are delaying sending review products, and I have a feeling it has something to do with a lot of recent posts about quality control (people have screen popping off, problem with buttons, etc).

For me personally, Notification feature is #1 requirement for TS. But it's still in alpha testing and I wasn't able to get it to work yet, possible due to some setup issues. Trust me, as soon as I have a more stable release version and can get it to work on my TS - I will post a detailed review.

Another great thing Kurt is working on is OWatchOn app which turns the display on when you raise your arm. It's work in progress as well, and Kurt is fine tuning it. So far you need a specific angle/position to turn the display on, but he will add more options where you can customize it.

irononreverse

Oct 23, 2011
I tried loki's rom and didn't really like it. Back on stock now but I have installed his mod.

Sent from my TrueSmart using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm still waiting to receive the latest notification app, but doesn't mean it stopped me from using TrueSmart smartwatch. One thing that was bothering me is a lack of Back button. You have 2 physical buttons, upper "power" and lower "home". For "back" functionality you just swipe right->left. It does work, but in some cases you have a slider switch on the page that triggers a toggle instead of going back to a previous page. Considering I'm rooted with Loki's ROM, I found a perfect workaround by using free Pie Control app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jun.ace.piecontrol).

Pie Control is one of my favorite "short cut" apps on Note 2, but for 1.54" screen you need to scale it down to a single level and probably no more than 3 shortcuts instead of max 5. But the beauty of the available controls is that you can select Tools with "Back" button being one of the choices. In this example below I have right side of the screen selected for activation and 3 shortcut buttons of "back", "google play", and "settings". Now, from any screen I just touch the right edge of the display to get Back button or go to Play store or Menu. You can also assign short and long press to the same button, so even with this minimalistic approach you can have 6 shortcuts shared between 3 pie buttons.

I also just thought assigning Home button to long press of that Back button makes sense, and it will save you extra clicks on a physical button.

omate_pie_control-01_zpse256d848.jpg

omate_pie_control-02_zps7b23dc0e.jpg

omate_pie_control-03_zps0d9d0a23.jpg

omate_pie_control-04_zps0af0ff63.jpg

omate_pie_control-05_zps705b9f51.jpg

Vectron:

I can't wait for you to be able to report on the companion, bluetooth tethering capabilities of the watch if that ever comes to be. But for all of us nontechies your review and evaluation has been heaven sent
    Great review and love the pics. Thanks for the bump and glad you liked the ROM.
    My opinion is just based on having had mine since early February. I donated less than $250 total for mine to fund the Kickstarter project and what I received only very vaguely and partially resembled what Omate promised. Don't get it wet, for example...

Anyway, if you really want a TrueSmart you can buy a clone called the Z2 I think, that will meet or exceed the quality of the TrueSmart x201 device for about $150. Still a bit high, in my opinion, but closer to the device's real worth. There is a thread here about the Z2 somewhere.

Owners are getting rather desperate to recover some of their losses on this device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk