Rooted Nexus 5 out of box, recently updated 4.4.2 OTA and now root is gone

Search This thread

BruceHsiang

Dec 16, 2013
When I open up superSU, it says:

There is no SU binary installed, and super SU cannot install it.
If you just upgraded to android 4.3, you need to manually re-root.

If I turn the Nexus on in recovery mode, it still says it's unlocked.
So at this point, is there anything I can do to restore root status without factory resetting? I made a backup with titanium backup but it was a while ago so I would rather not use it if there is another way.
I've read somewhere that rooting it should mean OTA updates should no longer work but somehow, it still went through and I updated it without thinking too much.

Last edited:

BruceHsiang

Dec 16, 2013
So I installed goomanager and tried to install twrp, but it all goes back to the same problem which was that I am now not in root mode anymore.

Also what do you mean by flashing the zip? Which options am I supposed to use?

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
I don't have twrp or cwm installed yet. Which one is generally simpler/easier to install/use?
I've been using TWRP with no problem and it's been awhile since I've used CWM. I've never used a toolkit or flashify but with adb it would probably take a couple minutes max to flash either one.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

So I installed goomanager and tried to install twrp, but it all goes back to the same problem which was that I am now not in root mode anymore.

Also what do you mean by flashing the zip? Which options am I supposed to use?

Choose "Install" in recovery, with either TWRP or CWM is flashing the zip.

BruceHsiang

Dec 16, 2013
I've been using TWRP with no problem and it's been awhile since I've used CWM. I've never used a toolkit or flashify but with adb it would probably take a couple minutes max to flash either one.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Choose "Install" in recovery, with either TWRP or CWM is flashing the zip.

Problem is, I didn't install twrp when I had root access before, and now when I try to use it, it says I need root to use it.

Can I flash the zip using adb in the fastboot recovery menu?

What should I do from here?

Last edited:

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Problem is, I didn't install twrp when I had root access before, and now when I try to use it, it says I need root to use it.

Can I flash the zip using adb in the fastboot recovery menu?

What should I do from here?

Sorry I've never done that. I guess you could adb push superuser.apk to the system but you still need the binary wherever that goes. Honestly I would just flash TWRP using adb and use TWRP to flash the SuperSu zip.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

Do you have adb already working?

Last edited:

BruceHsiang

Dec 16, 2013
Not yet, I just saw it as an option while reading around.

How would I install twrp with that image file?
All tutorials I've found said I needed root to install it in the first place.

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Not yet, I just saw it as an option while reading around.

How would I install twrp with that image file?
All tutorials I've found said I needed root to install it in the first place.

No.You do not need root to install a custom recovery. You need an unlocked bootloader. How did you get root in the first place? You must have used a toolkit of some kind? Use it again? I've only every used adb so I can't help with any toolkits but lots of people use them, I guess! ;)

Reactions: BruceHsiang

housry23

Sep 23, 2009
Springfield, OH
Download the latest TWRP or CWM recovery. Put it in the same folder as your adb and fastboot files. Open a command prompt and type adb reboot bootloader(you have to make sure developer settings are enabled and USB debugging is checked). Then flash recovery using fastboot by typing fastboot flash recovery name_of_file.img and then you can flash the supersu zip file.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts