Samsung Galaxy S III - SCH-S960L

Search This thread

fordlove

Jul 10, 2013
Wondering if the new Straight Talk model SCH-S960L was going to be supported in the Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit anytime soon? I just purchased. I also have a SPH-L710 on Sprint that worked great. Too afraid to use the same settings on this new SCH-S960L just yet.

Thanks!
Scott

Reactions: TTMTT

befrosty8612

Dec 21, 2008
SlimBean Rom works on SCH-S960L

Not sure if I'm on the same page, but I just flashed the SlimBean rom for the Sprint SIII to my StraightTalk SIII last night and haven't found any issues. Calls, texts, data, etc all are normal.

Wondering if the new Straight Talk model SCH-S960L was going to be supported in the Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit anytime soon? I just purchased. I also have a SPH-L710 on Sprint that worked great. Too afraid to use the same settings on this new SCH-S960L just yet.

Thanks!
Scott

mikey98277

May 3, 2009
Jamestown
Not sure if I'm on the same page, but I just flashed the SlimBean rom for the Sprint SIII to my StraightTalk SIII last night and haven't found any issues. Calls, texts, data, etc all are normal.

What did you use to root it? The Sprint ROMs should work since it is a brother of the sprint model with a few tweeks for strait talk. But with the GS2 from strait talk that was a ATT type phone you still had to use a different recovery to get it to work but you could use any of the ROMs..... so any info on how you flashed Slimbean would be great, thanks

JohnDoe00

Jul 16, 2013
I'm also wondering if the sprint s3 options in the galaxy toolkit are ok to use on sch-s960l...I read that the camera may not function...also I WILL donate to anyone one who can provide step by step, comprehendable instructions to root and flash slim bean with no issues.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using xda app-developers app

befrosty8612

Dec 21, 2008
What did you use to root it? The Sprint ROMs should work since it is a brother of the sprint model with a few tweeks for strait talk. But with the GS2 from strait talk that was a ATT type phone you still had to use a different recovery to get it to work but you could use any of the ROMs..... so any info on how you flashed Slimbean would be great, thanks

This post should work. (QBKing77's video here) All I did was copy SuperUser zip file to the phone, ODIN'd ClockworkMod to the phone, rebooted to CWM, flashed the SuperUser, rebooted and it was rooted. Really not much to it, seemed too easy to me, but it stuck, didn't lose root after reboot.

I did notice some wonky data issues once I flashed SlimBean. My first post was edited to show that it pretty much locked onto whatever tower I was closest to at the time of the flash, so when I was driving around, once I lost connectivity to that tower, I had no data. Still could call but no data. Had to reflash SlimBean to connect to the next tower, but again, lost it since I was still driving around. Back to rooted Stock now.

Lately I've been trying to install CM 10 but they have a check to see if your phone's build.prop file has the SPH-L710 value in it (ro.phonecode or something), and obviously since we don't have sprint phones, ours says SCH-S960L. I edited the build.prop file and put the sprint code in there, but then it said the ro.bootloader value was incorrect. That line isn't even in the StraightTalk's build.prop so I added it, but it still didn't want to flash.

Next step is to edit the ROM itself and remove those checks. Kinda skeptical about that, since they're there for a reason. But, for the sake of research/advancement of mankind, I'm gonna try it anyway.

Last edited:

Gameplayer203

Apr 11, 2013
This post should work. (QBKing77's video here) All I did was copy SuperUser zip file to the phone, ODIN'd ClockworkMod to the phone, rebooted to CWM, flashed the SuperUser, rebooted and it was rooted. Really not much to it, seemed too easy to me, but it stuck, didn't lose root after reboot.

I did notice some wonky data issues once I flashed SlimBean. My first post was edited to show that it pretty much locked onto whatever tower I was closest to at the time of the flash, so when I was driving around, once I lost connectivity to that tower, I had no data. Still could call but no data. Had to reflash SlimBean to connect to the next tower, but again, lost it since I was still driving around. Back to rooted Stock now.

Lately I've been trying to install CM 10 but they have a check to see if your phone's build.prop file has the SPH-L710 value in it (ro.phonecode or something), and obviously since we don't have sprint phones, ours says SCH-S960L. I edited the build.prop file and put the sprint code in there, but then it said the ro.bootloader value was incorrect. That line isn't even in the StraightTalk's build.prop so I added it, but it still didn't want to flash.

Next step is to edit the ROM itself and remove those checks. Kinda skeptical about that, since they're there for a reason. But, for the sake of research/advancement of mankind, I'm gonna try it anyway.

You can edit the assert prop in the updater script of any d2spr rom. I personally use root browser from the rom toolbox from jrummy. Extract the rom, then go to META-INF>com>google>android>updater script. Open the script as an editable text document. You will see the ro.bootloader lines. Simply take out those lines, or modify them for your specific bootloader. If you downloaded the official update when you activated your phone, it will more than likely be S960LWYAMD6. Save it, then simply rezip everything, and flash. That's it. Just remember it's probably not a good idea to try this with any rom that includes bootloader or modem updates. But you SHOULD be fine with anything cyanogen-based. It's worked flawlessly for me but all phones are different, so use cation and always flash at your own risk.... Well, hope this helps some people out there. I've been having this same issue for a while and couldn't find anything that helped, until I got bored one day and just started messing around with random stuff. Haha. Happy flashing :p

May 24, 2013
Stock Recovery

Hey guys!

Just wondering what my options are for getting the upcoming update to Android 4.3. I have a rooted SCH-S960L on the stock rom with CWM recovery (Touch version) 6.x....I was told that I would need the stock recovery installed in order to install the upcoming 4.3 OTA, but how do I do this? Where can I get the recovery.tar for use w/ODIN to reinstall the stock recovery? If I use KIES to reinstall the factory firmware will this also reinstall the stock recovery? Could I use the Sprint L710 stock recovery.tar since this is essentially the same phone? What should I do?

Anyone with helpful info PLEASE HELP!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Last edited:

wickedclown691

Apr 18, 2010
shelby
I've read on that Straight Talk doesn't update their phones at all. So what is on it is what will stay on it unless there are custom roms for them. Which I am currently looking for. The topic I read it in mentioned a gingerbread phone that was never updated despite the same phone on other carriers being updated. The ST Customer Service forum had a post saying check their Terms and Conditions(which not sure what that had to do with updating their phone).

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
https://github.com/Shabbypenguin/an...mmit/b131f82f667433af4d8895d55f00bfc8a2a1c94f

ask your favorite rom devs to add this to their d2spr device trees. it will make it so that there wont be any more need to edit updater scripts, i already sent this info to carbon rom d2spr dev. if/when he merges you guys will be able to use carbon rom without editing anything, just flash in recovery :)

edit: seems CM will be the first http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/54652/ starting nov 27th you can download sprint d2spr builds and with a sprint based recovery they will flahs just fine for you guys.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
Straight Talk does update their phones. The S3 was updated by Straight Talk not long after Sprint updated their S3 to 4.1.2.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I REALLY NEED SOMEONE TO DO A /system pull and post up the complete factory firmware files for download...full firmware, stock recovery, etc.
If I knew exactly how/what to do I would go buy my wife's phone Friday and do a pull from it and post it up for all who need it.

May 24, 2013
Ummm...not exactly what I wanted to accomplish but I found the backup of my totally stock firmware...stock recovery and the whole nine yards...restored and all is back to Day 1 stock!

jayplast

May 2, 2010
question

Hey guys!

Just wondering what my options are for getting the upcoming update to Android 4.3. I have a rooted SCH-S960L on the stock rom with CWM recovery (Touch version) 6.x....I was told that I would need the stock recovery installed in order to install the upcoming 4.3 OTA, but how do I do this? Where can I get the recovery.tar for use w/ODIN to reinstall the stock recovery? If I use KIES to reinstall the factory firmware will this also reinstall the stock recovery? Could I use the Sprint L710 stock recovery.tar since this is essentially the same phone? What should I do?

Anyone with helpful info PLEASE HELP!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

how did you root the sch s960l I have this phone and I want to root it bad. I emailed customer service at straight talk and they told me they would not be updating the phone to 4.3 :(

May 24, 2013
They also said that the phone woukd be stuck on ICS also...

As for rooting use SKUNKAPE1's guide on here for rooting the Sprint S3. The only addition to his step-by-step is to install STERRICSON's version of BusyBox once you finish up with the TeamEpic root.
Will tell you though that most of the Sprint S3 roms will not be fully functional on this phone however...everything usually works except the cammera/gallery app. Xposed framework mods do work very well however.

May 24, 2013
Would be more than glad to! I've tried doing this for others with no luck...how can I get that to you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am working on a deodexed stock rom for our straightalk s3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

Thanks!
    Scott