[TUTORIAL][ROM] How to fix your phone and apply the update

Search This thread

youneek

Jun 29, 2009
I have talked to many people that had issues applying the OTA update. Here are the steps to get your phone back to stock and apply the update.

As always, I'm not responsible for anything. yadda yadda.

First, download http://www.multiupload.com/NMPX3KMWRS

This contains Odin, the Samsung Drivers, stock odin rom, updated odin rom, pit file.

If you don't want to lose your settings, etc. you can skip to the second part. If your phone still doesn't work than start from the top.

-PART 1-
Step 1.) Make sure you have the appropriate drivers installed for your phone. If you are on 64bit then choose 64, if you are on 32 choose 32. You may already have the drivers installed and it will tell you after you try to install them.
Step 2.) Power your phone off
Step 3.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
Step 4.) Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
Step 5.) To ensure your phone is back to stock, in odin you will want to check the repartition button. ONLY CHECK IT WHEN YOU ARE FLASHING BACK TO STOCK. Leave the other check boxes the way they are.
Step 6.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
Step 7.) Click the PDA button and select Original.tar and then click Start

It should go through a bunch of steps and then your phone will reboot. Below are the steps to update it to the latest release.

Close Odin and power your phone off.

-PART 2-
Step 1.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
Step 2.) Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
Step 3.) Leave all check boxes the way they are. Do NOT check the repartition box.
Step 4.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
Step 5.) Click the PDA button and select T959UVJI6.tar and then click Start

It will go through a bunch of steps and then your phone will reboot. Congrats, you are on the latest update!

Last edited:

shiboboo

Jul 23, 2010
This should be stickied in general so the whole first page isn't taken up with topics about being soft bricked.

bigsquid

Jun 12, 2008
When you say updated odin rom, is this the official updated ota that its rolling out now?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Beautiful. Thank you for the post. Will do this later tonight and update the sticky in general. Thank you!

I assume with this method you lose your apps and settings? That's not the case with the ota... I could be wrong.

Last edited:

mapinkerton

Jul 28, 2010
Beautiful. Thank you for the post. Will do this later tonight and update the sticky in general. Thank you!

I assume with this method you lose your apps and settings? That's not the case with the ota... I could be wrong.

You are correct - the fix with the repartition will wipe all your data, but it actually should not be necessary to flash back to the stock ROM. We resolved this problem on the main thread for this issue earlier today by just using ODIN 1.3 to flash to the JI6 ROM directly. This approach saves all user data and restores the phone directly to the new version without losing any user settings or data.

Edit:
The older thread is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=802828
The solution we found is pretty much identical to the final 5 steps above in the OP post - many of us have executed just those steps to restore without reverting to stock and without losing user data.

Edit 2 - Thanks youneek for updating the instructions with this option

Last edited:

kangxi

Jun 10, 2010
Orlando
Thank you for this thread. I was able to revert back to stock and flash JI6. I know that it wasn't necessary to go back down to stock but I just wanted to start everything over. It went very smoothly, I actually did it while I was sitting in my night's class lol.

RebDovid

How long?

How long should it take for the first Odin cycle - returning to stock - to take?

Odin 3.1 has been running for at least 15 minutes. ID: COM shows as 0:[COM6]. PIT and PDA are appropriate. The Odin message area reads:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

tjhart85

May 13, 2009
How long should it take for the first Odin cycle - returning to stock - to take?

Odin 3.1 has been running for at least 15 minutes. ID: COM shows as 0:[COM6]. PIT and PDA are appropriate. The Odin message area reads:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
Entire Odin took me less than 5 minutes last time I did it.

This happened to me the first time I odin'd my phone .... I restarted the phoen and got the Phone--PC error. Just get back to download mode & restart the flash, should work next time through.

Considering what Odin does, it is a very buggy program and is prone to crashes.

joroboyvn

Jun 11, 2009
Varna
Google Pixel 3a
LG V60 ThinQ
Thank you

Easy, breezy, beautiful !!!
The update doesn't wipe the data if you had a stock ROM before that. All my apps and settings are intact after the installation:) just perfect...
Just have a question: is it ok to root the phone with one-click-root?
Thanks again...

Nokternal

Apr 3, 2007
I've done the update but now when I try to root the phone again, I get a 'E:cannot open /sdcard update.zip (No such file or directory)' now when I choose re-install packages. I've tried the one click root apk method and the update.zip placed in the directory manually. Nada. Whats the deal?

My directories are labeled D and F when mounted on my pc if it means it's looking for it in E now...

Last edited:

joroboyvn

Jun 11, 2009
Varna
Google Pixel 3a
LG V60 ThinQ
one-click-root

I've done the update but now when I try to root the phone again, I get a 'E:cannot open /sdcard update.zip (No such file or directory)' now when I choose re-install packages. I've tried the one click root apk method and the update.zip placed in the directory manually. Nada. Whats the deal?

My directories are labeled D and F when mounted on my pc if it means it's looking for it in E now...

I just rooted with one-click-root.. no problems here.. disregard the question from my previous post.
I just enabled usb debugging, connected the phone, started one-click-root and the phone rebooted... then "reinstall packages" and the phone came back rooted...

Can't access LBSTestMode menu from *#*#1472365#*#* anymore...any idea?

Last edited:

chuck217

Jul 2, 2009
i just tried this and odin is stuck and has not done anything the message area say this please help

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> cache.rfs

eithan

Aug 24, 2010
Hi all,
I've read almost every post about the update, but still have some questions so here goes.
I'm on complete stock, untouched. didn't even install clockwirkmod recovery. The ONLY thing I did was root.
I'm out of the US so obviously no OTA for me.
I was wandering if I need to unroot inorder to use the Odin method and wether it is possible to reroot after. Does the update break root, does it have any this to do with it?
Also, is flashing clockwork rec risking anything? Afterall I understand I have to nandroid backup so I need it right?

Thx
BTW, this is my first post (noob) so will be happy to get a bit more than the common nutshell answer since I'm new

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

iynfynity

Sep 21, 2010
i followed these steps but i can't make my phone go into download menu. damn it! the ota taking too long to arrive.

zerosource

Jul 29, 2010
OMG!

This fix the phone!

My phone was bricked by OTA and this method DOES recover my phone back to normal. I could even recover my important DATA!

PS. T-mobile can't recover my data.

Thank you superman in XDA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have talked to many people that had issues applying the OTA update. Here are the steps to get your phone back to stock and apply the update.

As always, I'm not responsible for anything. yadda yadda.

First, download http://www.multiupload.com/NMPX3KMWRS

This contains Odin, the Samsung Drivers, stock odin rom, updated odin rom, pit file.

If you don't want to lose your settings, etc. you can skip to the second part. If your phone still doesn't work than start from the top.

-PART 1-
    Step 1.) Make sure you have the appropriate drivers installed for your phone. If you are on 64bit then choose 64, if you are on 32 choose 32. You may already have the drivers installed and it will tell you after you try to install them.
    Step 2.) Power your phone off
    Step 3.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
    Step 4.) Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
    Step 5.) To ensure your phone is back to stock, in odin you will want to check the repartition button. ONLY CHECK IT WHEN YOU ARE FLASHING BACK TO STOCK. Leave the other check boxes the way they are.
    Step 6.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
    Step 7.) Click the PDA button and select Original.tar and then click Start

It should go through a bunch of steps and then your phone will reboot. Below are the steps to update it to the latest release.

Close Odin and power your phone off.

-PART 2-
    Step 1.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
    Step 2.) Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
    Step 3.) Leave all check boxes the way they are. Do NOT check the repartition box.
    Step 4.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
    Step 5.) Click the PDA button and select T959UVJI6.tar and then click Start

It will go through a bunch of steps and then your phone will reboot. Congrats, you are on the latest update!
    i followed the steps and everything went great after installation..and the reboot and the galaxy s logo it goes black

Did You Flash Something Before Disabling Voodoo? 2 Fixes to Help You Out.
    So you forgot to disable the voodoo lagfix before you flashed a new rom and now you're getting an error, similar to the one posted below. Even Odin won't allow you to flash back to stock. Well, pay close attention and with some luck, you'll be good as rain...or something like that.

Fix 1:
    1. Download Eugenes 'Froyo that does not brick' file.
    2. Extract the files.
    3. Open Odin, plug in your phone, then put it into download mode.
    4. load the PIT file in appropriate area.
    5. load the .tar file in the PDA area.
    6. DO NOT check 're-partition'.
    7. Click start, let it finish. Your phone will load and reboot into stock recovery. It will error out again. DONT panic! This is what's supposed to happen.
    8. Now, pull your battery.
    9. Download the 'True stock 2.1 firmware for the vibrant'.
    10. Extract the files.
    11. Once again, open Odin, plug in your phone, put into download mode.
    12. Load the PIT file into the appropriate area and the .tar in the PDA area.
    13. THIS TIME you want to check the 're-partition' box.
    14. Now click start, let it finish, and this time your phone will load up just fine! BAM!

Fix 2: (use only if you know how to use adb commands)
    1. Place the 'disable-lagfix' file in your sdk>tools directory
    2. Get into clockwork recovery like you normally would
    3. Follow these adb commands to push the 'disable-lagfix' file to you sdcard>voodoo

adb push disable-lagfix /sdcard/voodoo

4. File should now be on your sdcard in your voodoo folder.
    5. Reboot phone and with luck, you should hear Linda the robot telling you your file system is being converted back to rfs.
    6. Because your system directory has already been wiped, you'll still get a black screen when you reboot, but your file system is back to rfs. Just pull the battery, and reflash whatever rom you want. Then reboot again.

from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=782027 using the files from OP with odinv1.3 restored my vibrant.
    it went dead after installing voodoo on a working JI6, quoted instructions finally got me back (thanks viralblack)

EDIT: "dead" == black screen after galaxy s, buttons light up and turn off when touched, nothing else, download mode and 2e recovery work. If that's you and you are sure nothing was skipped try the quoted instructions.

EDIT2: Eugene's ROM to break it, so we can rebuild it, better than it was before: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=740558
    Can I flash over J14 or do I need to revert to stock?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9375927
    Try this....
    If not go into the sticky threads on the top in the development section preferably by NOOB N N33D or Woody
    Download It Here

Man... the link is broken... could somebody please help me out and set up a new link with the same stuff... my sisters phone has been having some serious problems.

Here, I put together a package for you that contains everything that would've been in the OP's package. You can download it here...

DOWNLOAD LINK

...Simply download the package I linked above, extract it, then follow the directions in the OP. You're welcome. ;)