HD Voice on T-Mobile

Search This thread

agouracaguy

Jul 5, 2007
Miami
I have the 98/33 radio with stock ROM and kernal running 4.4.4. I am rooted and have ro.ril.enable.amr.wideband=1 in my build prop. I went to a T-Mobile store and made a call from an S5 which has the HD indicator and it did not light up when I called or when I received a call.

I am at a loss as to if our nexus 4 is capable to have this work on T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I have the 98/33 radio with stock ROM and kernal running 4.4.4. I am rooted and have ro.ril.enable.amr.wideband=1 in my build prop. I went to a T-Mobile store and made a call from an S5 which has the HD indicator and it did not light up when I called or when I received a call.

I am at a loss as to if our nexus 4 is capable to have this work on T-Mobile.

sure. I get HD calls all the time, on my n4 and n5. it'll only happen if the other phone is connected to HD calling as well. when you called your phone from an s5, what didn't light up? the n4 doesn't have any kind of indicator, but you can hear the difference in quality.

agouracaguy

Jul 5, 2007
Miami
What radio are u running? What are your settings? I verified with a phone S5 which has an HD indicator and it was not lit when I called it or received a call.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
What radio are u running? What are your settings? I verified with a phone S5 which has an HD indicator and it was not lit when I called it or received a call.

the .33/.84 hybrid radio(I use lte). no special settings, the lte apn. can the issue be on tmobiles end? you don't hear any difference(i mean it really is obvious when its connected)?

agouracaguy

Jul 5, 2007
Miami
Why do u use the 84 hybrid and not some other? I heard the 98 was for kit Kat.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Why do u use the 84 hybrid and not some other? I heard the 98 was for kit Kat.

because i use my nexus 5 mostly. sometimes I'll use my n4 as a daily, but usually its the n5 as a daily and the n4 as a WiFi device. last week I used my n4 as my daily(phone) for a day and was getting slightly faster speeds on my n4 than my n5(64mbps download/21mbps upload). and I've never had an issue with the radio, so I keep using it. oh, and I'm using KitKat, 444(lichtis rastakat).

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

try using the lte APN, maybe it'll make a difference.

agouracaguy

Jul 5, 2007
Miami
I've flashed the 84/33 modem and will test it out at a T-Mobile store that has a working S5. If the HD is working, the S5 indicator will show HD. That is the only way that I can verify if it is working.

K

knightowl439

SMS/MMS

I think the question should be who makes calls anymore :p

agouracaguy

Jul 5, 2007
Miami
After going to a T-Mobile store which has a working HD indicator phone(S5), I can report that the nexus 4 does NOT support HD voice. I tried all of the radio combinations and the indicator would not work on the S5.

Unless there is a codec that can be installed, I don't believe our phone has the hardware to support this function.

I reserve the right to be wrong and hope someone can show me how and why I am!

Last edited:

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
After going to a T-Mobile store which has a working HD indicator phone(S5), I can report that the nexus 4 does NOT support HD voice. I tried all of the radio combinations and the indicator would not work on the S5.

Unless there is a codec that can be installed, I don't believe our phone has the hardware to support this function.

I reserve the right to be wrong and hope someone can show me how and why I am!

just like I claim it does, so do they http://www.anandtech.com/show/6594/tmobile-announces-amrwb-hd-voice-calls-active-on-its-network

I placed a number of calls between T-Mobile users last night to try and gauge any perceptible difference. I've previously heard AMR-WB demos and run loopback calls on the Anritsu base station emulator, and there is a perceptible difference. I originated a call on a Nexus 4 and terminated it on a Nexus 4 with both on T-Mobile, which sounded excellent, and then between an iPhone 5 (attached to PCS WCDMA here in Las Vegas) and a Nexus 4, which also sounded very different than an AT&T AMR-NB originated and terminated call. I need to do more testing back home, but T-Mobile's claims that this is live right now and working seem credible, calls sounded crisp and much more intelligible than some of the AMR-NB calls I've been on.

agouracaguy

Jul 5, 2007
Miami
I am basing my info on fact, not feeling. You need two working phones that support HD. The S5 displays if HD is working. It did not display when I tried all radio combos. I also tried the sine wave on some of the radios with nothing to report. If someone can report that the 2nd device they are testing has an HD indicator, and it does work, we can have a conversation.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I am basing my info on fact, not feeling. You need two working phones that support HD. The S5 displays if HD is working. It did not display when I tried all radio combos. I also tried the sine wave on some of the radios with nothing to report. If someone can report that the 2nd device they are testing has an HD indicator, and it does work, we can have a conversation.

maybe the s5 can't tell if its connected to a HD call with a nexus? I have a s4 as well as a n5. Samsung has some really crappy software for sure.

agouracaguy

Jul 5, 2007
Miami
One of the reps in the store had an IPhone 5S and and it worked, so the only other reliable test is the sine wave.

K

knightowl439

More Toys to Play With

All of this talk about HD, now I want to try it out too :fingers-crossed: even though I hardly make phone calls anymore...

Just like the whole 4K TV craze and 1440 x 2560 display resolution on phones...

polzovotel

Jun 30, 2011
Austin
All of this talk about HD, now I want to try it out too :fingers-crossed: even though I hardly make phone calls anymore...

Just like the whole 4K TV craze and 1440 x 2560 display resolution on phones...

Nexus 4 does not support HD Voice in hardware. It had a software support for HD Voice till 4.3 , then it was droped.
So, unfortunately, you will get no HD Voice on Nexus 4 with kitkat.

Warbuff

Jul 23, 2010
New York
According to anandtech nexus 4 supports hd voice however it isn't on the T-Mobile whitelist. The nexus 5 however is.

From the link:

" I’m actually very impressed with how well the Nexus 5 performed at rejecting noise using the normal babble distractor track I use. In addition this was a T-Mobile AMR-WB “HD Voice” call between two Nexus 5s, illustrating that the Nexus 5 is indeed in the T-Mobile whitelist for HD Voice.

As an aside, the Nexus 4 oddly enough still hasn’t been green lit for HD Voice on T-Mobile, and given its age probably never will at this point, although the hardware is entirely capable."

Scroll down link

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rakeesh_j

Jan 13, 2010
I remember having this working a long ass time ago, (working with N4 to N4 calls) and some kind of upgrade killed it and it hasn't worked since. I'm now testing with N4 to N5, and can't get it to work. I can test the N5 with other phones and it sounds clear as day different, but the N4 just doesn't work.

I've tried flashing these custom radios on my stock 4.4.4, even modded the build.prop, yet I can't get the thing to work. Anybody else able to get it working?

Last edited: