How Strong Is The HTC Evo 4G Screen?

Search This thread

kpfx

Feb 2, 2009
San Antonio
It's strong, until you drop it on a corner...

About a month ago I dropped my phone from less then 2ft off the group. Completely shattered the entire screen.

I feel your pain! From my experience it's the glass digitizer that shatters, not the LCD screen. Quite often it will shatter when dropped at just the right angle, even from as little as 1-ft on a hard floor.

Mine's survived so far (knock on wood) but I've replaced about 4 of them for my co-workers. Luckily the repair isn't too hard and the part is cheap ($15 on eBay). First time I replaced it, took about an hour. Now I can swap them in about 20min.

I'd suggest that unless you think a bunch of sandpaper will be scratching your screen, a simple "bumper" case that adds some protection around the 4 corners is all that's necessary. My EVO is very old and lives in my pockets with keys and coins... yet the screen is scratch free... so really I don't see the need to compromise viewing quality with a screen protector.

MagicalSandwich

Jul 18, 2010
I dropped my phone maybe 4 feet onto cement pretty hard. It got a little scratch and a small crack in the corner. It's a durable phone all right.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

thedguy

Nov 8, 2009
I've dropped my phone from over 11ft high and done no damage to the screen. It did however leave a small indent on the outside edge of the casing.
Since then I've dropped my phone from 8ft plus (I'm up on a latter a lot using the phone as a flashlight) and other than marks on the casing this bad boy has held up great.

I've also put tools, screw drivers, wire cutters, pocket knives, etc. in my pocket with the phone on accident. It's got 2 very small marks on the screen.

This mother F***er is tough. I can't replace it with a 3d because I've had this phone go through hell and keep going.

Vulfie

May 26, 2011
South of Nashville
I tend to be a little rough on my phones, but on my replacement EVO(dropped the first one and shattered the screen, though it still worked) I managed to scratch the dang screen with my nails. I don't have fake nails or even overly sharp ones. When I do grow them out, which they weren't at the time, I always file the edges to round. There is no way that screen is not going to be scratched.

On the topic of screen protectors, I love the STEINHEIL HTC Evo 4G Sprint Screen Protector (Ultra Crystal). It was super clear, fit perfect, didn't feel weird under the fingers, and they gave you two per package. It does need a case to sort of hold down the edges to make sure they don't work their way up like mine did, but with a case it can last for months.

detection

Mar 22, 2011
Long Island
My Evo survived a few small drops before it took a dive into a mosh pit. Screen shattered and I never saw my battery cover again-I was lucky I got the phone back at all.

Replacement screen is only like 12 bucks though and the actual process isn't so bad. I was relieved. And honestly, it made me feel a little better about having a naked phone. I don't like my phone to be any bulkier than it already is. Only 12 bucks and a few minutes to replace a broken screen? I'll take it. It's not like I'm throwing it around all the time.

NoStOcKEvO

May 27, 2011
Why not be on the safe side and just put the screen protector on it? Everyone seems to have their own preference, but if you are trying to keep the screen immaculate I would just bite the bullet and install one. I have the Seidio Convert case and a screen protector.... phone is damn near indestructible :D

erikemb

Jan 19, 2012
I work in a machine shop with hot flying metal chips, I would scratch the screen protectors all of the time, I have gone through 10 of them probably. I decided not to put one on about 6 months ago and have yet to scratch the screen. None of the other machinists have UN-scratched phones. I am very happy with the screen by itself

cuban88

Oct 10, 2008
San Jose, CA
My screen just cracked, not shattered, and I would like to know if anyone knows what i need to buy to replace it?

Is it called a digitizer?
How do i know if it will work for my phone?

Thanks in advance for your reply..

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

cullenmq1

Sep 19, 2011
Im sort of a noob bit i think this is how it works, just trying to be helpful. It depends on how "shattered" the screen is. If it is just the gorilla glass and not the screen beneath the glass then I think a digitizer will work. You'll know its compatible if it says that it is for the evo 4g. Pretty sure you can order one on eBay also. Hope this helps

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

muahhShay

Jan 3, 2012
Tulsa
Not stronger than concrete found that out the hard way one day when I was being smartass to my bestie on an unprotected/no case day while trying to pump gas and text lmfao.. but I had a screen protector.. phone still worked cause I guess it was held into place..

But its apparently strong enough to handle an iPhone4 coming at it full force.. lmfao pissed my bestie off playing with my phone and she attacked me.. the only thing damaged was the "durable" screen protector.. I now have no screen protector.. been without 2weeks.. although I have an issue with fingerprints (irks me constantly wiping) on the screen I have yet to get it scratched up.. keys in my pocket and etc.. *knocks on wood* don't wana jinx myself now..

sent from my HTC Evo 4g using tapatalk

Last edited:

nunk74

Jan 7, 2012
K.C.
I heard first edition evos did not have gorilla glass but the later ones do.
My fiance and I both have first editions without screen protectors been running them without protectors for over 6 months still scratch free and she keeps hers in her purse with keys and change.

cactusone

Jan 23, 2012
Paradise Valley
I still have my "launch day" Evo 4g with no problems..

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that the Seidio Extended Rugged Case and screen protector was a big factor of the survival of my Evo...I have 2 boys..3 and 7 that love to play Angry Birds.

guitar jesus

Jan 7, 2011
Riverside, CA
I'd like to think that Sprint would have advertised the EVO 4g as having Gorilla Glass. That's a major selling point. I'm curious if revisions after initial release got it because they had complaints about screen durability.

Reactions: a senile fungus

jmzmanito

Dec 28, 2011
Itasca
Screen protectors work, however, they are not 100% guaranteed to stop scratching or breaking. People think screen protectors make your phone bullet proof. This is not the case.

I currently have an E4GT. My wife and two teenage kids all have the EVO 4g. I've gone through 1 broken screen & 1 severally scratched screen. The only one without problems is the one that never had a screen protector. My point is just try and be as careful as possible with your phone & it will last. I also understand that accidents happen and that's why we have ebay & craigslist to buy spare parts.

jmzmanito
E4GT

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
I'd like to think that Sprint would have advertised the EVO 4g as having Gorilla Glass. That's a major selling point. I'm curious if revisions after initial release got it because they had complaints about screen durability.

I have the atmel screen with a gorilla glass digitizer, last week I dropped it face down on the concrete and proceeded to kick it down a flight of concrete stairs(it fell mid stride right in the line of fire) it bounced all the way down face first and landed on the corner of a concrete paver across the sidewalk from the bottom of the stairs, I thought "sh!t time to hit up eBay for a screen", when i picked it up and dusted it off the only thing wrong was a tiny scratch on the bottom.corner of the housing that all but vanished after I wiped it with a wet rag, and it was completely naked no case no screen protector nada

We are legion, for we are many.

Monkeyforce

Jan 15, 2011
Norco
From my experience the Digitizer(Touchscreen) is Durable, and tested it on a broken screen from an EVO I fixed. Ran a serrated blade and a razor blade, no scratch's at all.
I use a Otterbox case, not to protect the phone but to lessen the impact(#1 Killer of Digitizers in my family) on the screen when I drop it, like I do everyday. :D
Sidenote: I order my screens at Amazon, great prices.

jdjanka

Nov 20, 2010
I'm still rocking the original EVO 4G with no protector (almost a year and a half) with very minimal wear. Granted I'm not hard on my phones (I don't keep my keys or anything else that could cause damage in the same pocket as my phone) and I've only dropped it a handful of times. I've never liked any screen protectors I've used so I guess I'm a bit biased, but I just don't see the benefit as long as you're somewhat careful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Where does it say that's the Evo's screen is gorilla glass?

I've never read that anywhere.

It certainly may be difficult to scratch but that doesn't make it gorilla glass.

Gorilla Glass website here under HTC
    The EVO 4G, EVO 3D and EVO Shift all are listed.

I didn't know that it was Gorilla Glass for the first year of owning my EVO, but was relieved when I found out. Since then, I've been going without a screen protector.
    Just got a HTC Evo 4G last week. I've had it in the Otterbox Defender case since day one. Lately, I've been trying to find a screen protector that covers the whole face of the phone. I've been unsuccessful in doing that. But, a guy was telling me that without a screen protector, the Evo's screen is hard to scratch. He told me that if I kept the phone in the Otterbox (which has a screen protector of it's own), that the phone would most likely never scratch.

Is there any truth to this?

Gorilla Glass is used for the Evo's screen and it's super durable. I used to use a screen protector (which ended up getting pretty scratched up), but I've been going without one for about 6 months and my screen is fine. I guess I really never needed the screen protector in the first place.
    Sand is actually silica not quartz, some sand is up to 90% calcium from coral skeletons but over time that calcium becomes silica
    Edit: BTW silica heated and pressed/rolled = glass that's why sand will tear the hell out of glass its fine rough edged and very hard at that size silica crystals are very hard compared to most minerals not quite as hard as diamond but on the upper middle of the scale

Sent From My EViLizED-iCS-EVo4G