G2x Getting ICS official :D

Search This thread

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
Thus why I found it interesting...

However, with an gingerbread patch rolling out, doncha think it would be a bit late for an April ICS for the g2x? just sayin' ... which is why I am convinced that the much vaunted "update in q2" that LG was referring to was this 2.3.4 patch... and that's probably what it's being called on that timeline.

Maybe it's ICS but with an LG overlay..... :p

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Okay, so let's say that the O2x does get ICS. What we are missing are the drivers. So how does the process of ripping the drivers work, are the drivers built into the ROM? I know the g2x and the O2x have different partitions.

Actually, the partitions are the easy part of porting. The radio is the biggest challenge. I don't think anyone has ever managed to port any stock Froyo or Gingerbread O2X or G2X ROM between platforms without full source and actually be able to make phone calls. The radio is too different and is hardwired into the ROM.

That means that barring unforeseen changes, even an official O2X ICS version is not likely to be able to be ported directly to the G2X.

However, in CM9, the radio is not the problem on the G2X, which is good news. That means if an official O2X release provides the bits needed outside of the radio, we still get an improved G2X experience. But it will have to be CM9, no stock-based ports.

Mastermind_hassan

Mar 17, 2011
lahore
For what its worth, I just talked to an LG Canada rep and asked about the gingerbread update for Wind mobile and was informed that ICS will be released in august or september.

Mike P: Hello, ws. Can I help you with anything today?
ws: Hi, just wondering if there is a an android gingerbread update available for the optimus 2x from wind mobile available yet.
Mike P: Unfortunately not at the moment.
ws: any idea when?
Mike P: Broadly speaking, the ICS OS upgrade will be available on LG’s upgradable smart phones starting from the second or third quarter of 2012. The detailed schedule and relevant models will be determined based on discussions with the carriers in each market.
ws: will it be ota or upgradeable through the website?
Mike P: Yes, via our mobile support tool.
ws: so the update to ics will be in august or september for the 2x?
Mike P: That's correct

FatalityBoyZahy

Jan 11, 2010
Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
www.YouTube.com
Actually, the partitions are the easy part of porting. The radio is the biggest challenge. I don't think anyone has ever managed to port any stock Froyo or Gingerbread O2X or G2X ROM between platforms without full source and actually be able to make phone calls. The radio is too different and is hardwired into the ROM.

That means that barring unforeseen changes, even an official O2X ICS version is not likely to be able to be ported directly to the G2X.

However, in CM9, the radio is not the problem on the G2X, which is good news. That means if an official O2X release provides the bits needed outside of the radio, we still get an improved G2X experience. But it will have to be CM9, no stock-based ports.

I was gonna use CM9 anyways ;)

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

nitrogen618

Jul 14, 2010
For what its worth, I just talked to an LG Canada rep and asked about the gingerbread update for Wind mobile and was informed that ICS will be released in august or september.

Mike P: Hello, ws. Can I help you with anything today?
ws: Hi, just wondering if there is a an android gingerbread update available for the optimus 2x from wind mobile available yet.
Mike P: Unfortunately not at the moment.
ws: any idea when?
Mike P: Broadly speaking, the ICS OS upgrade will be available on LG’s upgradable smart phones starting from the second or third quarter of 2012. The detailed schedule and relevant models will be determined based on discussions with the carriers in each market.
ws: will it be ota or upgradeable through the website?
Mike P: Yes, via our mobile support tool.
ws: so the update to ics will be in august or september for the 2x?
Mike P: That's correct

Sometimes, those CSR have no idea what they're saying, of course they can be right.

DJSave

Oct 27, 2011
Tbilisi
With our great ROM devs I'm sure we'll get 99% working ICS ROM-s when O2X gets it
So I'm not worried at all :) only 2 month to go

hackmeister69

Dec 17, 2010
Not holding my breath for an official ICS ROM from t-mobile. Rooted my phone and just trying to figure out which ICS custom ROM to install. Gingerbread will be gone by the end of the day from my phone.

defconoi

Oct 31, 2008
SCHUYLKILL HAVEN
www.android-unleashed.com
I had my vibrant replaced with a g2x and Latoya from online chat spoke to a android technician and confirmed that there will be no T-Mobile ics update for the g2x when I had asked. If we get updated it won't be through T-Mobile. We might have to rely on lg or a port of an o2x ics rom. At this point we should write to nvidia to provide binary gpu drivers like qualcomm did with the sgs 2.

Don't take my word for it. Either call T-Mobile retention or a tmo technician

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

kebkebs

Oct 16, 2011
Can't wait for fully functioning roms. Hate using video illusion

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so let's say that the O2x does get ICS. What we are missing are the drivers. So how does the process of ripping the drivers work, are the drivers built into the ROM? I know the g2x and the O2x have different partitions.

Wind is never going to release anything.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    It has to be name of a dessert/candy starting with letter K as android names go by alphabetical order.

I like your pick though :D

That will be for sure Key Lime Pie ....uhmmm....keyyy limeee pieee :p :good: