***Easiest Method for Keeping Root Thru the ZV8 Update***

Search This thread

rocknrolla818

Jan 3, 2012
need help please

I'm completely stuck on what to do now i updated zip from zv7 to zv8 lost keyboard until i figured out how to get lg keyboard lost all sound even with eri unchecked and didnt have cwm and couldnt get the bat file to find "specified path" tried flashing cwm through rom manager with esteem said successful so i rebooted and now im stuck in lg boot screen have tried battery pulls and a factory reset twice. what should i do any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated

mursepaolo

Sep 25, 2009
California
I'm completely stuck on what to do now i updated zip from zv7 to zv8 lost keyboard until i figured out how to get lg keyboard lost all sound even with eri unchecked and didnt have cwm and couldnt get the bat file to find "specified path" tried flashing cwm through rom manager with esteem said successful so i rebooted and now im stuck in lg boot screen have tried battery pulls and a factory reset twice. what should i do any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated

Rename local.prop file in /data to local.prop.bak to get sound back. As far as flashing cwm, I'm on the same boat except my phone won't hold a good usb connection to the pc long enough to flash the bat file. Says the same thing. Unable to find specified path.

Sent from my LG Revolution using Tapatalk 2

SoloWookie

Mar 26, 2012
Worked perfectly thank you. The only bump I had along the way is I keep forgetting to disable my virus software before I download the cwm zip. :eek:

Cheasy123

Nov 15, 2011
I am currently on ZV8, rooted and am having trouble getting CWM. I am in USB debugging mode and internet connection and when I run the .bat file and choose option 1 (CWM Recovery for ZV8) I get * daemon not running. starting it now * * daemon started successfully * and then it does absolutely nothing. I've let it sit for a while and still see no response. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I had to install the TL Bootstrap on my computer and then I at least got a response after * daemon started successfully *. Except now it says the following message before restarting the phone without CWM installed.

Device found
Mounting Device
remount failed: Operation not permitted
Pushing Recovery
8757 KB/s (5345280 bytes in 0.596s)
Installing CWM Recovery
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14: cannot open for write: Permission denied
Remove Trash
rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, Read-only file system
rm failed for /system/recovery-from-boot.p, Read-only file system
rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory
CWM Recovery!!!
Press any key to continue . . .

Last edited:

I.M.famous XMAN

Dec 16, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Sounds like you don't have root. Even if you have superuser.apk, the binaries might be messed up somehow. I would start over from v7 and try again.

--My REVO is Broken, tweaked, SC'd, and TB'd. Just awesome!

jrf28

Jul 19, 2011
I am currently on ZV8, rooted and am having trouble getting CWM. I am in USB debugging mode and internet connection and when I run the .bat file and choose option 1 (CWM Recovery for ZV8) I get * daemon not running. starting it now * * daemon started successfully * and then it does absolutely nothing. I've let it sit for a while and still see no response. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I had to install the TL Bootstrap on my computer and then I at least got a response after * daemon started successfully *. Except now it says the following message before restarting the phone without CWM installed.

Device found
Mounting Device
Pushing Recovery
Installing CWM Recovery
Remove Trash
CWM Recovery!!!

Same issues I had. All the apps I use got SU permissions fine but nothing worked getting CWM on. The instruction in this thread worked perfectly:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594885

Mar 6, 2008
Am I missing something here? I have been trying all night to get CWM on my phone after the software upgrade and this is all I get...

I have my phone on internet connection, with USB debugging enabled. I have the LG drivers installed on my pc.

I have tried the batch file, I have tried the terminal emulator, I have tried opening the shell from my pc.

I don't know much about all of this, but I can follow directions (or so I thought) but I cannot get CWM back! I need to get broken out! This LG stock software sucks balls!

Please help!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 139

mtmichaelson

Apr 5, 2009
Mt. Juliet, TN
Am I missing something here? I have been trying all night to get CWM on my phone after the software upgrade and this is all I get...

I have my phone on internet connection, with USB debugging enabled. I have the LG drivers installed on my pc.

I have tried the batch file, I have tried the terminal emulator, I have tried opening the shell from my pc.

I don't know much about all of this, but I can follow directions (or so I thought) but I cannot get CWM back! I need to get broken out! This LG stock software sucks balls!

Please help!

Have you tried running the reboot recovery option to see if it is there?

JMink

Feb 24, 2011

Please help!

Have you added the folder location (path to the bat file) to your environment variables in windows?

Sent from my Revo 4g using XDA Premium App

Mar 6, 2008
Have you tried running the reboot recovery option to see if it is there?

No, I'm not sure how to do that. I followed step by step instructions by you to root and install CWM and ginger volt when I had 7, so when I held my power button, it gave me the option to reboot to recovery, so that's the only way I knew how to do it.

I heard something about holding the vol down and power button, but that started my phone in safe mode.

All I really want is to be able to flash broken out (which I have on my phones SD card), so if there is another way to do that, that's all I really care about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

haxerpaylay

Oct 25, 2010
Houston
I am incapable of getting the .bat file to run, I have tried everything to get into recovery and am stuck. Can anyone help?

Devices:

Motorola DroidX
Motorola Droid
Motorola Cliq
Asus Transformer
Lg Revolution

haxerpaylay™

JMink

Feb 24, 2011
I am incapable of getting the .bat file to run, I have tried everything to get into recovery and am stuck. Can anyone help?

Devices:

Motorola DroidX
Motorola Droid
Motorola Cliq
Asus Transformer
Lg Revolution

haxerpaylay™

Explain "incapable of getting the bat file to run". What is happening?

Sent from my Revo 4g using XDA Premium App

Reactions: haxerpaylay

JoshDB

Feb 11, 2011
Spokane
I'm trying to get this done for one of my friends with an LG Revo, I installed the first zip and booted into the OS, but it won't pick up the OTA update, and says service unavailable. Occasionally when it reboots it'll say 'Download Failed', etc. So I'm not able to OTA update, and he's got a crippled phone. Are there any steps between those numbers that should be givens that I'm missing? I'm not used to an LG phone, and this ****'s real frustrating.

I.M.famous XMAN

Dec 16, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
JoshDB, what zip did you flash? If you flash a ROM for, say v8 and you have v7, then it won't recognize your Sim card. Therefore, no network.

Now there seems to be 2 ways to root and flash. 1) flash v7.tot, root, create .prop file, ota, use Mt's tool. 2) for v8, there is a root tool for the esteem, iirc, then you manually use adb too push cwm.

Either way, you can dl quick boot from the market to boot into recovery to check.

Reactions: SolidHall

JoshDB

Feb 11, 2011
Spokane
JoshDB, what zip did you flash? If you flash a ROM for, say v8 and you have v7, then it won't recognize your Sim card. Therefore, no network.

Now there seems to be 2 ways to root and flash. 1) flash v7.tot, root, create .prop file, ota, use Mt's tool. 2) for v8, there is a root tool for the esteem, iirc, then you manually use adb too push cwm.

Either way, you can dl quick boot from the market to boot into recovery to check.

I think I'm going to flash the v8 tot and root that way. What I had done was, from MT's gingervolt 1.5, flashed the first zip in this thread after wiping everything, and then attempted to get the OTA to download and install, but it wouldn't. Now that I think about it, the CWM recovery probably wouldn't allow for that...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please Read Full Post Before Posting Any Questions!!! If You Ask A Question That Is Answered In This Post, It Will Not Get Answered!!!

Alrighty Boys and Girls!!! I have tried to make this as easy as possible for what we have!!! First and foremost, this will NOT root if you are already on ZV8!!!

Prerequisites
    Pretty easy, you need ANY form of ZV7 (By any that includes stock, GingerVolt, Blitzkrieg, self modified, whatever) and CWM. Also, if you have frozen the software update app, make sure you unfreeze before anything!!!

1) Download this file: http://d-h.st/MeH
    2) Flash that file in cwm
    3) Reboot into the OS
    4) Update to ZV8

That is it!!! You are now rooted stock ZV8!!!!

After gaining root on ZV8 you can get CWM recovery by running this ZV8CWMRecovery.bat: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54501789/Revo/ZV8CWMRecovery.zip

There you have it!!! That was easy now wasn't it!
    Hello there.

Just checking in to let ya know that this thread is on the XDA Portal. Link:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/lg-revolution-owners-can-keep-root-through-latest-ota/

I hope you like the write up, it actually links to the last article I did for the LG Revolution. Keep up the great work!
    Dang that does sound easy, I guess that's what I get for being an early adopter.

Nothing to see here anymore!!!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Device found
    Mounting Device
    Pushing Recovery
    Installing CWM Recovery
    Remove Trash
    CWM Recovery!!!

Same issues I had. All the apps I use got SU permissions fine but nothing worked getting CWM on. The instruction in this thread worked perfectly:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594885
    Will the phone info still say v7 after this. I flashed, all went fine, rebooted, all still good. Checked root, got it, but then checked phone info and it still says v7. I don't really care if it says v7 or what ever as long as I know it's v8. Thanks for all your time and effort dedicated to all of us Revo users MT.

You have to go into your settings and update now. The file doesn't upgrade for you.