Bionic on tmobile

Search This thread

projektorboy

Sep 3, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
So, I got a smoking deal on a used Bionic locally. Everything seems to be working on AT&T, but I seem to be dropping a lot of calls.....I did switch the phone over to CDMA Preferred, but I have not made any calls since. Any thoughts on why I am dropping calls?

You want WCDMA Preferred, not CDMA. Your calls might be dropping because the radio might be clicking over to search for non-AT&T signal.

Reactions: bborland10

bborland10

Apr 26, 2012
Sorry, that's what I meant I did switch it over to WCDMA Preferred, it was on CDMA/GSM Auto Prl.....seems to be better now with WCDMA Preferred....no dropped calls since earlier...Thanks.

0okami

Oct 12, 2005
USA
I got my bionic set up and ready.

has anyone tried this with straight talk sim card? I tried a sim card from one of their phones but it did not work. They told me their sim cards are tied to their phones and I would have to buy a separate sim card if i wanted to use my unlocked device.

I'm about to go to the store shortly to find out for sure.

rajakaha

Apr 28, 2012
droid razr maxx

Hi - I have been following this post, and wondering if this hack is applicable on razr maxx. I recently bought new maxx from motorola and looking forward to use it with att sim.

mike t

Oct 15, 2007
Does having a custom recovery matter?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA

projektorboy

Sep 3, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Does having a custom recovery matter?

Having a custom recovery does not matter. Changing values of the radio flash does not involve any read/writes from the recovery partition whatsoever.

Even then, because of the locked bootloader no one technically has a custom recovery. Whether you have Safestrap or Bootstrap installed, you can always boot to stock recovery.

Reactions: mike t

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Here are the steps I did a few days ago...

First... make sure you have Moto drivers 5.4.0 (or newer) installed on your PC. Install RadioComm (I used 11.12.2). The first time you do this and use Radiocomm, you will be prompted for other drivers to install, let them.
  1. Boot Bionic, connect USB cable, put in PC MODE
  2. Start RadioComm
  3. select Main -> MA -> Common -> MDM 6x00 chipset base
  4. select settings -> USB -> USB PST Driver
  5. select the FTM Common1 tab
  6. Try the buttons at top to read Version and MEID, if response is GREEN, you can proceed. If RED, there is likely a driver error that you need to resolve. (If drivers are correct, you should see moto usb networking listed under NETWORK Adapters in Windows Device Manager). Possible ways to fix driver issue... 1. re-install Moto 5.4.0 drivers and reboot PC. 2. reboot phone (remove/replace battery if possible). 3. when connecting phone to PC, ensure its connected in PC MODE, not USB Mass Storage, Charge Only or other...
  7. in the NVAccess drop down, select 1877
  8. click read.
  9. should show 07000000000000000.... change the first characters to... 8703E80400000200
  10. click write
  11. exit radiocomm
  12. disconnect phone
  13. power phone off, insert Non-VZW SIM, and power up.

As the phone boots, you should see no signal, then white signal indicator which should eventually show E (for edge) on T-Mo, or 3G or H+ on ATT. You'll get errors about gmail account authentication, after you re-enter your gmail passwords, then signal indicator should go BLUE.

It may take a while to get signal. For ATT I never got anything but 3G. With that same ATT SIM in a HTC Galaxy Note, we did have H+ coverage.

If you want to use on Verizon again, just shut down, put in the VZW SIM, and power up. Again, you'll have to re-enter your gmail account passwords.

mike t

Oct 15, 2007
Does the age of the sim card matter? I'm trying to do this with a at&t sim card that is 4 years old and it would never connect to the network. Weird thing is in settings - about phone - status it shows that it has a signal but is disconnected from network.

Last edited:

m0squ1t0

Aug 5, 2010
Getting this to work on the droid razr would be awesome, but I need SMS and voice to work, don't care about data as long as wifi works

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Ok, "brandogg" you are such a help, I might even puke you are so helpful. It amazes me how some people can ask for help and get a smart ass answer from someone like the "brandogg."

So ok, homie dogg, keep your smart ass answers to yourself. If you don't like the question don't answer. This is the problem with this country anymore, jack offs like you.

This thread clearly discusses the Bionic, RAZR and D4, and yes I am well aware of the GSM RAZR, but I can get a Verizon RAZR much cheaper locally.

So that's fine I will ask my perfectly legit question elsewhere. Why don't you be a real American and go serve your country, or just continue to be a self serving turd.

Thanks for nothing, hope you choke on your own saliva.

Yes, hinting to others (subtly, mind you) that there may be easier solutions, and more appropriate forums for their questions is exactly what's wrong with this country. You should run for President.

And you're welcome.

Back to the matter at hand - I doubt that the LTE network showing with an AT&T iPhone's SIM card matters much, since that SIM card only connects to AT&T's Edge/3G/HSPA networks...amirite? I would assume that an LTE AT&T phone would need a new SIM card that can connect to their LTE network.

Could be wrong though.

tozymil

Jul 2, 2010
Cuernavaca
Works on the droid razr

All you have to do is fallow the instructions, be patient (like 5 hours) and remove all bloatware

Last edited:

2k7gt

Jan 13, 2008
South Florida
Worked on my Bionic just fine. I have a Digicel sim from Trinidad and Tobago and I am successfully roaming on my Bionic in the states on AT&T's network. Data, SMS, and phone service all work fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got this done - no gsm data yet

Looking for someone to help make DATA working... I have all files but nowhere to upload to...

PROCEDURE
    1. Update Bootloader to (0A.72)

2. Install stock ROM with RSD Lite
    ----> GB: VRZ_XT875_5.9.904.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01

Make sure Debug Mode is ON and it's connected as CHARGER ONLY (not Mass Storage)

3. Root the phone with motofail (motofail_windows.zip)

4. Install Bootstrap (BionicBootstrap.apk)

5. Reboot into recovery and install ICS Gummy (Gummy_targa-Release-1.0.2.zip + speargapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip)

6. To enable GSM/UMTS follow these steps:
    1. Ensure USB is connected as PC Tools mode (not Mass Storage)
    2. In Radiocomm go to MA->CDMA1X->QSC60x5
    3. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple.
    4. On the upper right side in the NVAccess, scroll to NV item 1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I
    5. Read the value from the device
    6. Replace the first 8 bytes (16 digits) with: 8703E80400000200
    7. Write the data to the device and powercycle.
    This will enable GSM/UMTS bands.

To disable GSM/UMTS, perform the same 7 steps, but replace the 8-byte data with: 0700000000000000​

AFTER SOME WHILE GSM SIGNAL IS STRONG FOR VOICE BUT NO DATA
    This post shows the directions in pictures.

directions.jpg
    Bionic GSM Band Config update.zip

Here is the zip file installation.

As stated above, it can only be run from Bionic Bootstrap recovery and not from Safestrap.

Just place the zip on the root of the sdcard and then open Bionic Bootstrap and boot into recovery and select Install zip from sdcard, then Choose zip and select the file and install it. it takes about 2 seconds to run and then reboot the phone after putting the SIM in and it should work immediately in most cases.

The zip only performs the NV edit to Item 1877(0755 hex) rec 1 bytes length 8 and no other modifications.

We made zips for the D4 and Razr as well and will probably make a more formal release post for those devices, as they require some additional files for everything to work properly.

The Bionic was the first one and, as it turns out, the easiest of them.

I am also taking a look at the Xoom and trying to make it work on that device too.

This really opens up a lot of possibilities and probably some serious consternation for VZW.

Thanks to fragulina for the original hack!
    I have all the files myself but nowhere to upload to...

I have a private server with private access you could pm me and I can send you a username and password, then it could be seeded via torrent.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 AM ----------

This is a pic of the Bionic using both Tmo and ATT using this hack. The pics are from TeamBlackHat using this seem edit.

proofoflife.jpg

The directions were added to the image. The original directions can be found on page 2 of this thread.