Halfway to the SIP functionallity

Search This thread

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
Today I've played a little with the native SIP. I found out that the file "android.software.sip.voip" is missing. I pushed this file to etc/permissions, changed permissions to rw-r-r and voila! - after rebooting the missing internet calling part appeard in my dialer settings menu. I managed to set my voip provider credentials and enabled SIP. I called a few numbers and apparentlly got the connection (the called person confirmed it and i can saw it in my voip billing list) but nobody could hear the other one and dialer was frozen. it is not the common SIP issue, i can use CSIPSIMPLE without any problems. I'm attaching the missing file if somebody is interested in further research regarding native voip on moto x.

Attachments

• android.software.sip.voip.zip
    659 bytes · Views: 74

rodpp

Sep 30, 2008
Rio de Janeiro
I tried enable the native SIP settings using a Xposed module. The behavior was the same, SIP account connected, no sound and Phone app frozen.

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk

Reactions: piskr

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
I wondered where the Internet Calling menu had gone... I've got a Verizon developer edition and figured that Verizon stripped the settings. I may have to give this a try as well to see if I get the same outcome.

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
I wondered where the Internet Calling menu had gone... I've got a Verizon developer edition and figured that Verizon stripped the settings. I may have to give this a try as well to see if I get the same outcome.

You surely get the same outcome. Try it, you've got nothing to loose. You can always get back with just deleting the file. Sadly getting internet settings option is not enough to activate voip. something else is missing. Either there is no voip codec or the whole part is corrupted.

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Have you tried the Sipdroid app? I haven't attempted any VoIP stuff yet, just thought I'd ask.

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Yep, added the xml and got the same results, I can make the call, called person gets the call, but then dialer freezes, have to FC it and there's no sound. It's like the xml file is there to make the setting populate in the dialer's settings menu, but there are other parts missing that handle the audio. Also noticed that the pause, mute, and speakerphone buttons don't "work". Like, you can click them, but they don't do anything.

lowvolt1

Feb 29, 2012
Just a question, so I can expand my knowledge base.
What is the importance of VOIP on a cell phone?

Slapped the sh*t out of my X

rodpp

Sep 30, 2008
Rio de Janeiro

When I go to another country I use VOIP to all my calls. It is much more cheap.

Some free services (here in Brazil called 0800 calls) don't work with cell phones, but there is no problem with VOIP.

In some forms I need a wired phone number, because they don't accept cell phone numbers. The VOIP number is ok.

My VOIP number is from my local area. So, if I am in USA, Egypt or Japan, anyone from my Brazilian local area can call me with a local call. They pay the same price to call me on the other side of the planet or to call the neighbour across the street.

Reactions: lowvolt1

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014

Say you live in a place with terrible service, not just bad 4G or 3G, but everything bad service. Or perhaps say when you're at work and your building sucks and you get no service... but these places you do have Wi-Fi. For me, this is work; the building sucks, I get no service, but we have Wi-Fi. With VoIP you can place calls via the internet if you don't have service. I can still place and receive calls to my VoIP number on my phone if I have Wi-Fi and have airplane mode on and Wi-Fi enabled. Except the Moto X on Verizon doesn't seem to support it, they want you to use their networks.

Reactions: lowvolt1

bergwitza

Apr 11, 2013
When the first couple of users reported their "internet calling" option missing I thought, well, it could be due to some carrier-restrictions since most devices were either att or some other us-carrier. Now I got my moto x unsubsidized and I see no "internet calling" in the dialer options either.

This sucks because I seriously don't see anything else wrong with this phone and not being able to call people abroad for the price of a chewing gum per hour.. bummer.

Does anyone know if the CM dialer has the same restriction?

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
When the first couple of users reported their "internet calling" option missing I thought, well, it could be due to some carrier-restrictions since most devices were either att or some other us-carrier. Now I got my moto x unsubsidized and I see no "internet calling" in the dialer options either.

This sucks because I seriously don't see anything else wrong with this phone and not being able to call people abroad for the price of a chewing gum per hour.. bummer.

Does anyone know if the CM dialer has the same restriction?

I read reports on other forums where users experience the same sip symptoms as of Moto X. Considering that I got an idea that KitKat (at least 4.4.) has somehow broken sip functionallity as a system. It seems that is not intentionally deprived, rather reflects a malfunction. I can't find more logical conclusion adding all facts together. I had oportunity to see two different cases where sip/voip was removed from the android system by purpose before: either both xml files (sip and sip/voip) were missing or sip functionallity were stripped from framework-res.apk. Its true that Moto x originally lacks sip/voip xml file, but it permits adding this file. And having this file in dialer enables initiation of call what never occured in any of previous cases I described. Besides the totally same behavior is described on other KitKat phones. In fact I can't remember one single confirmations that sip works on any KiKat phone.

But I don't know how is it on 4.4.2. I'd really appreciate if someone, who has already gotten 4.4.2, checks whether sip works with that upgrade. And before add voip/sip xml I attached in my previos mail if it isn't there yet.

bergwitza

Apr 11, 2013
I read reports on other forums where users experience the same sip symptoms as of Moto X. Considering that I got an idea that KitKat (at least 4.4.) has somehow broken sip functionallity as a system. It seems that is not intentionally deprived, rather reflects a malfunction. I can't find more logical conclusion adding all facts together.

There is at least one Nexus 5 bug report related to the native sip functionality on google code. A minor issue (echo) but it indicates that the Nexi can do native SIP..

But I don't know how is it on 4.4.2. I'd really appreciate if someone, who has already gotten 4.4.2, checks whether sip works with that upgrade. And before add voip/sip xml I attached in my previos mail if it isn't there yet.

My XT1052 was delivered with 4.4.2 and no "Internet Calling" here.. :|

Reactions: glarepate

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
There is at least one Nexus 5 bug report related to the native sip functionality on google code. A minor issue (echo) but it indicates that the Nexi can do native SIP..

My XT1052 was delivered with 4.4.2 and no "Internet Calling" here.. :|

OK, if you're rooted, could you, please, push the attached file (unziped) to the etc/permissions and change permissions to rw-r-r? Then find and set voip in the dialer. Or anybody else, who is interested, could try.

Attachments

• android.software.sip.voip.zip
    659 bytes · Views: 27

Netizen

Nov 15, 2005
Auckland
Moto X Developer Edition, 4.4.2
Managed to get SIP working.
Attached is what you will need to copy to appropriate folders. Make sure that you checked all permissions
I also deleted android.software.sip.xml file (in System\etc\permissions)
Tested with SIPNET.RU, called myself and successfully had a chat with my own voicemail :)
hope this helps

Attachments

• System.zip
    141.3 KB · Views: 119

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
Native SIP

Attached is what you will need to copy to appropriate folders. Make sure that you checked all permissions
Tested with SIPNET.RU, called myself and successfully had a chat with my own voicemail :)
hope this helps

Excellent! We obviously have working SIP with 4.4.2. Perhaps someone would ask what is the practical benefit of that. If you live between home and office and have a good mobile plan, there isn't any. But if you travel a lot, it might be completely different situation. Calling from anywhere in the world where you have internet connection of any kind for as low as a few of cents per minute is surely an advantage.:laugh:

bergwitza

Apr 11, 2013
hope this helps

Great news!

Now I wish I had root. But rooting without unlocking is only possible with 4.4 and below, right? Just in case somebody knows more than there is in the General forum.

ivlivs

Sep 21, 2010
hope this helps

Tried but did not work. Upon reboot I got "Android is upgrading...", then an endless series of crashes. Any hint?

alankeny

Mar 13, 2010
Tried but did not work. Upon reboot I got "Android is upgrading...", then an endless series of crashes. Any hint?

I had a similar problem when I used ES File Explorer to copy the files into place. I had to restore my phone from a backup.

It worked better when I copied the files using adb shell commands. I also used the adb shell to make sure the permissions on all of the files were chmod 644. I'm guessing it was the permissions that needed to be set correctly.

I now have Internet calling in the phone app, but I'm having a problem with the microphone. The audio comes through to me OK, but my voice going out is distorted. I'm not sure how to describe it. I sound "warble-y". The distortion affects all calls in the phone app, even those to an echo test number on my local network. There aren't many settings in the phone app, so I'm not sure what else I can do.

Other apps like CSIPSimple and Spare Phone don't have this problem, so I don't think it's my wifi. If it makes a difference, it's a Verizon Developer Edition running 4.4.2.

-Alan

Netizen

Nov 15, 2005
Auckland
Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. I have tested it myself and also found few issues:
1. SIP wont work on mobile data connection (on Nexus devices it doesnt matter what you use as data bearer, as long as connection is fast and stable enough). So, no WiFi - no SIP...
2. Once you start SIP call there is no icon or sign showing that this is a SIP call.
As for call quality, I called my mom yesterday and she didn't say it was bad, but I will test it again today and post my findings later.

OK, I can confirm now that SIP voice quality is bad and does sound very strange... :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hope this helps
    Today I've played a little with the native SIP. I found out that the file "android.software.sip.voip" is missing. I pushed this file to etc/permissions, changed permissions to rw-r-r and voila! - after rebooting the missing internet calling part appeard in my dialer settings menu. I managed to set my voip provider credentials and enabled SIP. I called a few numbers and apparentlly got the connection (the called person confirmed it and i can saw it in my voip billing list) but nobody could hear the other one and dialer was frozen. it is not the common SIP issue, i can use CSIPSIMPLE without any problems. I'm attaching the missing file if somebody is interested in further research regarding native voip on moto x.
    I tried enable the native SIP settings using a Xposed module. The behavior was the same, SIP account connected, no sound and Phone app frozen.

When I go to another country I use VOIP to all my calls. It is much more cheap.

Some free services (here in Brazil called 0800 calls) don't work with cell phones, but there is no problem with VOIP.

In some forms I need a wired phone number, because they don't accept cell phone numbers. The VOIP number is ok.

My VOIP number is from my local area. So, if I am in USA, Egypt or Japan, anyone from my Brazilian local area can call me with a local call. They pay the same price to call me on the other side of the planet or to call the neighbour across the street.

Say you live in a place with terrible service, not just bad 4G or 3G, but everything bad service. Or perhaps say when you're at work and your building sucks and you get no service... but these places you do have Wi-Fi. For me, this is work; the building sucks, I get no service, but we have Wi-Fi. With VoIP you can place calls via the internet if you don't have service. I can still place and receive calls to my VoIP number on my phone if I have Wi-Fi and have airplane mode on and Wi-Fi enabled. Except the Moto X on Verizon doesn't seem to support it, they want you to use their networks.