Nexus 5 doesnt detect SIM!!! :(

Search This thread

karanbedi

Jan 7, 2014
Okay so I got my device (32GB,White) just one day ago , and it refuses to detect the sim. I had an airtel(india) sim which was cut into a micro sim . Are there any settings which I need to change to make it work ?

uploading the pic of the sim... Is this the proper micro sim or is it ruined ??

Attachments

• IMG_20140111_200856.jpg
    IMG_20140111_200856.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 1,199
  • IMG_20140111_200913.jpg
    IMG_20140111_200913.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 1,126

shizkoff777

Jan 11, 2012
elizabethton
Have you tried any other Sims to see if that one was messed up.mine had a hard time picking up the one out if my s4

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
The nexus 5 is very picky on cut Sims go get a micro Sim from your provider I cut my full size T-Mobile Sim and it didn't recognize it at all I got the micro Sim from them and now it works

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Also one note is the nexus 5 has different contact points for the sim inside the tray so your cut Sim won't work while another phone might as its got the same contact patterns

Reactions: karanbedi

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
attached is my sim and your sim compared
as you see your bezel on the end is shorter and the contact points in the center are differently placed

Attachments

• dwfdsw.jpg
    dwfdsw.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 1,651

yizhaq79

Feb 14, 2011
are you sure its not recognizing the sim card?
try this
1.remove the sim card while the phone is on. if youl see notification that telling you that there is no sim card and restart, then its recognize the card and problem is somewhere else
2.go to settings
under wireless&networks=>More..=>MobileNetworks=>Network operators
wait until the phone will find all the operators and chose yours
if that not working go to next step
3.open SIM TOOLKIT app
Roaming Services=>Select Mode=>and try some of the Manual mods there or the Automatic
now go to step 2 and do it again

hope it will solve your problem

karanbedi

Jan 7, 2014
Maybe any locking on some card from provider ?

Is the card coming out of a contract?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No. The phone is unlocked. And the card had no contract or anything... :crying:

The nexus 5 is very picky on cut Sims go get a micro Sim from your provider I cut my full size T-Mobile Sim and it didn't recognize it at all I got the micro Sim from them and now it works

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Also one note is the nexus 5 has different contact points for the sim inside the tray so your cut Sim won't work while another phone might as its got the same contact patterns

Yessir. I think it the manually cut sim is posing problems. I will ask my operator for a standard micro sim and see if it works. You help is much appreciated. :)

as you see your bezel on the end is shorter and the contact points in the center are differently placed

Hmmm, they ARE different. I'm sure the problem is with the alignment of the SIM. the contact points arent aligned at ALL . :(

try this
1.remove the sim card while the phone is on. if youl see notification that telling you that there is no sim card and restart, then its recognize the card and problem is somewhere else
2.go to settings
3.open SIM TOOLKIT app
Roaming Services=>Select Mode=>and try some of the Manual mods there or the Automatic

I chose the the operator , it spent like 4-5 minutes searching.. and then came "Couldnt connect. Please try again later." I'm sure the problem is with correct contact points.

[Thanks everyone, you help is much appreciated.] I'll keep you guys posted. ;) ;)

Mr. Sprinkles

Nov 5, 2013
Denver
I had zero success getting my cut t-mobile SIM to work in the N5. Wound up walking into t-mobile for a micro sim. Took less than a minute and was free. Had I known it was so easy, I wouldn't have wasted $8 on a stupid cutter...

karanbedi

Jan 7, 2014
I had zero success getting my cut t-mobile SIM to work in the N5. Wound up walking into t-mobile for a micro sim. Took less than a minute and was free. Had I known it was so easy, I wouldn't have wasted $8 on a stupid cutter...

I'll be getting a micro sim from my operator.... took 2 sims from them, cut them both and both failed to work..:(

Svayam

Feb 20, 2016
So i just switched to an Airtel sim and my nexus 5x doesnt want to detect it.
1) I have tried other sims on my phone and they all work perfect and get detected under milliseconds after inserting.
2) Then, i tried to insert this particular airtel sim to my dad iphone and it does work and also can call from it. So yeah it is active.
3) SO! then i tried inserting my dad's Airtel sim in my Nexus and guess what ? It doesnt get detected.

Conclusion: Nexus 5x is not capable of detecting Airtel sim and so get a vodafone or any other sim card you prefer.

sidmetal2

Feb 6, 2009
I have the exact same problem with my 5x. I Have an Airtel sim as well. The phone has stopped detecting sim. If I insert a new sim, the phone detects the new sim for a while but then stops detecting again. Though the sim is being detected by all other phone including a different Nexus 5x.
Not sure what is the problem here. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe any locking on some card from provider ?

Is the card coming out of a contract?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

try this
    2.go to settings
    3.open SIM TOOLKIT app