New S4 new to ROMS and add ons

Search This thread

emeralds5668

Sep 10, 2011
Hi I just got a new sprint Galaxy s4. I had a Samsung infuse 4g that I rooted and unlocked (which btw was hard to do for a newb way back then) but I never flashed a rom. To be honest I was afraid that I would destroy the phone. They are not cheap. I still have the infuse, so I guess I could practice flashing roms on that one but is it basically the same process? I just really really do not want to destroy my beautiful phone. Is it risky to flash ROMS or put other stuff in the phone? Thanks for the advice. This is an awesome site.

xfullmetal17

Jan 31, 2011
*Anything* you flash to your phone carries a risk (however minute) that it'll brick the device. The root method may be different, but for the most part ROM flashing is the same across any Android device.

IMPORTANT: Check your device model, since there are two variants of the Sprint S4 out there (SPH-L720 and SPH-L720T). The 720T doesn't work with all ROMs, and (last I checked) you lose the Spark connectivity, but 1x/3G/LTE will still work. I have one of the old models before Sprint started rolling out Spark, so I haven't really been keeping up with that part of it.

cyberweasal

Jan 25, 2011
Dover, Delaware
Hi I just got a new sprint Galaxy s4. I had a Samsung infuse 4g that I rooted and unlocked (which btw was hard to do for a newb way back then) but I never flashed a rom. To be honest I was afraid that I would destroy the phone. They are not cheap. I still have the infuse, so I guess I could practice flashing roms on that one but is it basically the same process? I just really really do not want to destroy my beautiful phone. Is it risky to flash ROMS or put other stuff in the phone? Thanks for the advice. This is an awesome site.

once you get the rooting done here is a great place to start looking for ROM's

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2303917

emeralds5668

Sep 10, 2011
once you get the rooting done here is a great place to start looking for ROM's

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2303917
thanks for replying. I posted a question on the rooting thread regarding the s4. I was wondering about rooting it with my
Android version. I believe it's the latest but was not sure. Do you know if it's relatively safe to try that or are there issues like boot loops? Maybe I should leave well enough alone because I doubt I could fix a brick. These are really nice phones...thanks for your help

cyberweasal

Jan 25, 2011
Dover, Delaware
thanks for replying. I posted a question on the rooting thread regarding the s4. I was wondering about rooting it with my
Android version. I believe it's the latest but was not sure. Do you know if it's relatively safe to try that or are there issues like boot loops? Maybe I should leave well enough alone because I doubt I could fix a brick. These are really nice phones...thanks for your help

i had no problems. that being said. make sure you also have a stock rom down loaded on the phone or on a pc to fall back on, that way if you do boot loop you can just flash that. also once rooted make a backup!

you can root without doing a new rom or even choose a rom thats mostly stock with minimal changes its up to you how deep you go.

first thing if first once you root if you have KNOX you WILL flag the knox warranty count by 1 and that is not reversible yet.

good luck