[How To] Install The New GOT Update On Milestone

Search This thread

protozeloz

Oct 10, 2009
Hello My Friends I've Heard You Are Having Troubler Installing The New Upgrade Or Understanding What Is Needed To Be Done.
Note: THIS IS A WINDOWS BASED HOW TO AND WILL WORK ON WINDOWS ONLY

Before I Start I must Say, This Is a combination of process and I have not created any of those files or own the right to them so all the links are the same links found on other posts from where i got the info, so by downloading those files you are, supporting them not me i take no credit for this work

Well Here Is the quick Easy Guide In How To Do This

-Fist we Need To Get The Tools To Perform This Operation
pulled From This Tread we need

1. Motorola Drivers For Either 32 or 64 Bits
2. RSD Lite, witch is a tool for flashing your phone.
3. The GOT Open Recovery ToolUpdate: Added Latest version from G.O.T.'S Blog
4.The Firmware Files From Got
EDIT: G.O.T. Has Added the burnerable open recovery to these sfb files so no need to flash it latter :)

-Now That We Have The Stuff We Need We are going to do it, fist i must say that unlike other roms that are applied by a backup restore (corect me if im whrong) this is a full flash and its going to reset everything so no apps will remain no setting will remain and is highly recommended that you uninstall every app you have, don't back them up(except for apps some apps that have a create backup file, those seem to work) just uninstall them, and when we are done have them installed again, Here Is A Tool That Will Help You Get There Faster

1.ok you have everything uninstalled right? now time for some action:D

2.install the proper divers (32 or 64)

3.install the RSD Lite tool

4.unzip the 2.2.1 FIRMWARE FILES you downloaded and you will find a ".sbf" file

5.now connect your phone to USB cable and turn it off

6.boot it in boot-loader mode (press the D-PAD UP key while pressing the power button), some night need you to release the button after a minute, a black screen will be shown on your phone and you will see the divers being installed on your computer.

7.when drivers are done open the RSD Lite tool and your device should appear you can click on it to see details.

8.now click on the "..." buttons that are close to the start button and look for the ".sbf" file, after a couple of seconds it should be ready to start
9.press the start button and do not unplug the cable or let your computer show the screen saver or go to sleep, the posses must not be stopped while it has started .
10.when the posses is done the devise will restart and voala, you have 2.2

-As GOT stands there are some bugs on the firmware and they have developed a fix to them and get root and overclock, here is what you have to do.

1. unzip the got open recovery tool into the root of your SD card

2.check this quote
NOTE: On some devices, we have encountered that rooting directly after flashing without rebooting after the initial flash can bring some issues with RootExplorer not asking for root permissions. To be safe, reboot after flash so that the “welcome to milestone” menu comes up, set up the device in general, then reboot to recovery and root the device as well as apply our 2.2.1 tweaks with Launcher, Services.jar fix and Wireless Tethering app.

this means if the fist time your milestone got restarted and you saw "Welcome to Milestone" Message You are good an you can root.

but if you didn't then restart you phone and see if the message comes out, if not , a factory reset should have that scree message shown.

3. open the open recovery by pressing camera and power button at the same time while the device id off. you should see a scree with a "!" symbol on it then press fist volume rocker up button a leave it pressed then press camera button, some letter will pop out.

4. using the pad scroll down to "apply update.zip", after a couple of seconds the GOT menu should pop out (everything from now on uses the pad)

5.root your phone (why not)

6.go down to "Launch 2.2.1 Menu" Option.

7.Here you will see the "Fix Bugs They Are Talking About
One of the first things you should do is use the “Fix 2.2.1 bugs” selection in the new OR 2.2.1 menu after you flash the sbf file.
This tweak will fix some of the issues with the generic sbf build such as dual USB notifications, replacing some stock Motorola applications such as the old launcher/mediagallery and adding the Wireless Tethering application.

8. there is the overclock too.

Now your device should have all the things you need to start playing with it,I encourage you to check on some tweaks the GOT team might have, and you might want.

I Hope This Was Helpful enjoy ^_^
To Do For This thread:
Code:
1. Make It More Easy To Use, and clear to read 
2. Add Suggestions
3. Add screenshots
4. Add Other OS Options
5. Add Attachments (For Some reason I Can't Now)

Please Post And Rate If This Was Useful

Last edited:

protozeloz

Oct 10, 2009
Bug Counter:
Common Problems Found On Thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=810726

1. AppBrain Market Sync Not Connecting To server.
2. Google Chrome To Phone Not Working.
3. WiFi Having Trouble To Connect On Some Routers, Sometimes Not Connecting At All on WPA2
4. Activating The Camera From The The Albums Will "Force Close"
5. Facebook Sync Is Not Working
6. The menu button on the keyboard activates the voice recognition option, and cannot be used to trigger shortcuts anymore (To me its more like a change on the way the keyboard works instead of a bug since you can use the menu button on the screen to trigger keyboard shortcuts)
7. No Vibration On key press
8. Russian Language Will Have Problems with phone and contacts apps
9. problem with android id

If Any Of Those Work On Yours Please Report Witch version you installed maybe yours can help fix others,you think you found a bug and its not listed? post it here and post

Fixing Problems:

1. Problem with android ID:
A. If Not Installed The Update Yet(Needs Root)
-Install This AppAndroidID
-Back your android ID up, and put ir somewhere safe
-follow the guide to update to froyo
-Install This App againAndroidID
-restore your android id
B. If Already did it(Needs Root)
-install this appAndroidID
-invent a number that might serve as your android ID (you need numbers and letters)
-input it on the app

Last edited:

November91

Oct 17, 2010
Memmingen
okay nice tut, butttttt... im stuck at the part where i should install openrecovery. at first, to come to the "!" screen, camera screen + power did not work. i got there by pressing X + Power... but now i dont know how to access the menu where i should install update.zip..

please help!

November91

Oct 17, 2010
Memmingen
okay nice tut, butttttt... im stuck at the part where i should install openrecovery. at first, to come to the "!" screen, camera screen + power did not work. i got there by pressing X + Power... but now i dont know how to access the menu where i should install update.zip..

please help!

okay i got it, im so sorry, i used the up button on the dpad

FoTwoZero

Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Also I did not see a launch 2.2.1 menu option. But I have currently launched the GOT open recov without an issue. I have rooted as well as many other things but didn't see that specific menu.

protozeloz

Oct 10, 2009
Also I did not see a launch 2.2.1 menu option. But I have currently launched the GOT open recov without an issue. I have rooted as well as many other things but didn't see that specific menu.

Silly question are you suing the newest version?

if you press down should on the open recovery menu it should be your sixth option, I have recorded a video about it this morning but its backwards I'm Going To Try And Have it Fixed and up today hopefully

plvt_florian

May 11, 2008
hi there. i have instaled europe GOT_RTEU_2_2_1FULL.zip version and now sometimes my touchscreen does not work. i mean that if i put the phone in standby and i try to unlock the touchscreen is not responding. i have to power off/on to make it work again. thanks in advance

hanslast

Nov 7, 2008
Facebook app wont Synch with my contacts on first launch of FB app.

No other bugs so far...

czescdziadek

Dec 10, 2009
Poznan
Thank for this tutorial.
My milestone works fine so far, but 3g mobile hotspot and wireless tether not working.

Flash on milestone is so cool :D

MenoDev

Aug 19, 2010
something i don't get

I updated the firmware with RSD Lite, and used the one click tool, because:
whenever i try to hit update.zip i will get an errormessage, stating that these blocks couldn't be found -> ergo, the card not be mounted.

The HTC stuff i always managed, but this one is a mistery to me. Also, i did format fat32, pushed the stuff and then straight on bootup trying to hit the update.zip, without success.

I've read about how other people solved that problem, none of those approaches helped me.

Any hint is more than welcome.

2 bugs i've discovered so far: Battery drain like almost to be declared useless, some market apps "vanish" after installing them. I suppose those fixes would have done the job. I might attempt to use root explorer and execute the scripts like that, still I'd like to know why I'm unable to get the update.zip, resp. the G.O.T or any other "intelligent" boot menu installed.

Edit2: Even when installing the vulnerable sbf, i still get the error: E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 ....

Last edited:

protozeloz

Oct 10, 2009
hi there. i have instaled europe GOT_RTEU_2_2_1FULL.zip version and now sometimes my touchscreen does not work. i mean that if i put the phone in standby and i try to unlock the touchscreen is not responding. i have to power off/on to make it work again. thanks in advance
This could be for any reason try this
-Re download and re flash the files(do the whole thing again)
-there is an app i have called sd dual mount that makes my screen go crazy wen i connect the phone to an usb port, it was stable on 2.1 but now goes crazy on 2.2 check some of your apps to ensure they are not the ones responsible for this
Facebook app wont Synch with my contacts on first launch of FB app.

No other bugs so far...

Israel milestons should use retail europe?

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App
you can try with the retail Europe,
for me it's working perfectly. RTEU
can you tell me if you have an android ID? it should work when your device has it
Thank for this tutorial.
My milestone works fine so far, but 3g mobile hotspot and wireless tether not working.

Flash on milestone is so cool :D
you can try and uninstall the wireless teeter app an have it reinstalled that should sort it out
I updated the firmware with RSD Lite, and used the one click tool, because:
whenever i try to hit update.zip i will get an errormessage, stating that these blocks couldn't be found -> ergo, the card not be mounted.

The HTC stuff i always managed, but this one is a mistery to me. Also, i did format fat32, pushed the stuff and then straight on bootup trying to hit the update.zip, without success.

I've read about how other people solved that problem, none of those approaches helped me.

Any hint is more than welcome.

2 bugs i've discovered so far: Battery drain like almost to be declared useless, some market apps "vanish" after installing them. I suppose those fixes would have done the job. I might attempt to use root explorer and execute the scripts like that, still I'd like to know why I'm unable to get the update.zip, resp. the G.O.T or any other "intelligent" boot menu installed.

Edit2: Even when installing the vulnerable sbf, i still get the error: E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 ....
have you tried re downloading the files and doing all over again?, it could be a broken file

thats why i tell devs and chefs they should add an MD5 sum to their files larger than 20MB some errors are caused by just having downloaded broken files

aboycalledsu

Jul 6, 2010
Root phone from the GOT OR menu doesn't seem to actually root my phone (2.2.1 UK version)

Superuser whitelist app FCs instead of prompting to allow access. Have tried using Better Terminal for root access & also Wireless Tether app.

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas? Do any of the 1-click root apps still work with this build of Froyo? Which can we use?

m0jo

Root phone from the GOT OR menu doesn't seem to actually root my phone (2.2.1 UK version)

Superuser whitelist app FCs instead of prompting to allow access. Have tried using Better Terminal for root access & also Wireless Tether app.

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas? Do any of the 1-click root apps still work with this build of Froyo? Which can we use?

i can confirm this. Simply trying it a second time worked for me

Last edited:

m0jo

I'd like to add something for Linux users:

Using a virtual machine (virtualizing WinXP) that has USB support (eg Oracle VM VirtuaBox, since VirtualBox OSE does not support USB forwarding) can do this pretty easy. So no worries when trying this via a VM.

lovesonizuka

Oct 19, 2010
i try to instal GOT and its succesfull.
but why i install the application not bring to SD card
but still bring to internal memory
many said 2.2 automatic have app2sd

can you help me?

THX

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello My Friends I've Heard You Are Having Troubler Installing The New Upgrade Or Understanding What Is Needed To Be Done.
    Note: THIS IS A WINDOWS BASED HOW TO AND WILL WORK ON WINDOWS ONLY

Before I Start I must Say, This Is a combination of process and I have not created any of those files or own the right to them so all the links are the same links found on other posts from where i got the info, so by downloading those files you are, supporting them not me i take no credit for this work

Well Here Is the quick Easy Guide In How To Do This

-Fist we Need To Get The Tools To Perform This Operation
    pulled From This Tread we need

1. Motorola Drivers For Either 32 or 64 Bits
    2. RSD Lite, witch is a tool for flashing your phone.
    3. The GOT Open Recovery ToolUpdate: Added Latest version from G.O.T.'S Blog
    4.The Firmware Files From Got
    EDIT: G.O.T. Has Added the burnerable open recovery to these sfb files so no need to flash it latter :)

-Now That We Have The Stuff We Need We are going to do it, fist i must say that unlike other roms that are applied by a backup restore (corect me if im whrong) this is a full flash and its going to reset everything so no apps will remain no setting will remain and is highly recommended that you uninstall every app you have, don't back them up(except for apps some apps that have a create backup file, those seem to work) just uninstall them, and when we are done have them installed again, Here Is A Tool That Will Help You Get There Faster

1.ok you have everything uninstalled right? now time for some action:D

2.install the proper divers (32 or 64)

3.install the RSD Lite tool

4.unzip the 2.2.1 FIRMWARE FILES you downloaded and you will find a ".sbf" file

5.now connect your phone to USB cable and turn it off

6.boot it in boot-loader mode (press the D-PAD UP key while pressing the power button), some night need you to release the button after a minute, a black screen will be shown on your phone and you will see the divers being installed on your computer.

7.when drivers are done open the RSD Lite tool and your device should appear you can click on it to see details.

8.now click on the "..." buttons that are close to the start button and look for the ".sbf" file, after a couple of seconds it should be ready to start
    9.press the start button and do not unplug the cable or let your computer show the screen saver or go to sleep, the posses must not be stopped while it has started .
    10.when the posses is done the devise will restart and voala, you have 2.2

-As GOT stands there are some bugs on the firmware and they have developed a fix to them and get root and overclock, here is what you have to do.

1. unzip the got open recovery tool into the root of your SD card

2.check this quote
    NOTE: On some devices, we have encountered that rooting directly after flashing without rebooting after the initial flash can bring some issues with RootExplorer not asking for root permissions. To be safe, reboot after flash so that the “welcome to milestone” menu comes up, set up the device in general, then reboot to recovery and root the device as well as apply our 2.2.1 tweaks with Launcher, Services.jar fix and Wireless Tethering app.

this means if the fist time your milestone got restarted and you saw "Welcome to Milestone" Message You are good an you can root.

but if you didn't then restart you phone and see if the message comes out, if not , a factory reset should have that scree message shown.

3. open the open recovery by pressing camera and power button at the same time while the device id off. you should see a scree with a "!" symbol on it then press fist volume rocker up button a leave it pressed then press camera button, some letter will pop out.

4. using the pad scroll down to "apply update.zip", after a couple of seconds the GOT menu should pop out (everything from now on uses the pad)

5.root your phone (why not)

6.go down to "Launch 2.2.1 Menu" Option.

7.Here you will see the "Fix Bugs They Are Talking About
    One of the first things you should do is use the “Fix 2.2.1 bugs” selection in the new OR 2.2.1 menu after you flash the sbf file.
    This tweak will fix some of the issues with the generic sbf build such as dual USB notifications, replacing some stock Motorola applications such as the old launcher/mediagallery and adding the Wireless Tethering application.

8. there is the overclock too.

Now your device should have all the things you need to start playing with it,I encourage you to check on some tweaks the GOT team might have, and you might want.

I Hope This Was Helpful enjoy ^_^
    To Do For This thread:
    Code:
    1. Make It More Easy To Use, and clear to read 
    2. Add Suggestions
    3. Add screenshots
    4. Add Other OS Options
    5. Add Attachments (For Some reason I Can't Now)

Please Post And Rate If This Was Useful
    Hi,
    I applied sdcard:update.zip. However, it states :

Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    cannot find update_binary

+
    |
    |
    |
    +

Installing busybox...
    and so on

How do i solve this problem? The GOT OR doesn't show itself although my phone says Install from sdcard complete. Thanks in advance!

You installed the got sbf right? that means you have vulnerable recovery. Put an the update.zip (of the open recovery folder) and put the OpenRecovery folder in the root as well. Then install the update. NOT MEANING TO take away attention from this thread, but there is also a tutorial by me over here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=932196 This is a great thread! You can just go to where you are right now in the tutorial. AGAIN NOT MEANING TO TAKE ATTENTION FROM THIS THREAD! JUST TRYING TO HELP :)
    What rom do you suggest i use? Which rom has the best performance and bat life? Thank you very much btw!

No problem :) Please press the thanks button if I helped :) Also, I reccomend cyanogen mod 6.1.2 (the latest) by kabaldan, because that has superior performance and many bug fixes except for one type of security on wifi not working. (There are also some freezes probably because of beta kernel and if they occur, just press the power button once then press it again then unlock. It should work, if not just try it again) But, honestly, you will be amazed with cyanogen mod 6. You can find it from my thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=966812 This is a list of all roms :)

Or you could try froyomod 2.5 have a look at the thread and pick one from there