[Q] GT-N7000 varying phone signal after usb port replacement

Search This thread

3clectic

Jun 3, 2012
Hi,

The current problem is that my phone signal keeps cycling between full bars and no bars, or is not connected to a service. Checking the phone signal strength, it seems to be hover around -100 db or so.

So I did a search on the closest thing that I could find was this one.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1894486

So what I have done is the following:

1. Had an issue with charging and holding a charge when upgraded to Xperia X ed rom
2. Did some research and figured the easiest option would be to reload the first ROM and check if the issue still exists
3. Reloaded nandroid backup to the original, same issue
4. Cleaned out the USB port using some thick paper, rubbing alcohol, compressed gas and small vacuum, same issue
5. Did some more research, figured that it would be easy enough to replace the USB board, so replaced that (reconnecting the antenna)
6. Turned on phone and used the first custom rom on there, everything seemed to work fine but I didn't check the signal strenght
7. Upgraded to SweetROM v10, only then noticed the signal issue, unscrewed the back and checked the antenna connection, seems solid
8. Tried to use it for a day and it's really bad, most of the time inside, I can't get any signal but outside, I normally get full bars
9. Did some more research, remembered something about modems, changed the modem from XXLT3 to XXLSO, just incase it was that, still the same signal issue

So wondering if anyone can help me with the next steps. I figure I am gonna tinker around with it a little, to see if it is a software thing. I figure what I will do is the following:

1. restore back to nandroid - check the signal issue
2. if still there, maybe try a stock ROM

Maybe take the cover off again and check the antenna cable, could have damaged it pulling it back in the first time, however, it doesn't make sense that signal strength would not change that much but the reported signal would.

Any help would be great.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

Jan 13, 2007
London
Where did you source the replacement part, is it stock samsung and are you sure it's the same revision?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: 3clectic

maktama

Mar 12, 2011
i have totally in same position. i have damaged usb port, couldn't charge. then buy an 5$ usb bord that same rev with original one. But reception is totally unstable. Especially when driving, reception have (nearly) always zero bar. And inside building reception is half of original part and also unstable. Tried most of what u tried, no luck. i think i have to repair original one(i opened inside the phone, all usb port pins broken from thecorner point. Just have to replace usb port )

GT-N7000 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

SpyderTracks

Jan 13, 2007
London
So long as you use a stock replacement part and not the eBay alternatives, you'll be fine. These problems occur with the imitation parts.

nokiamodeln91

Jun 6, 2012
true.. i had some problems with charging the phone and got the USB module replaced today from the Service center and all ok..

3clectic

Jun 3, 2012
I was pretty sure it was the same revision but it could be imitation. I suppose will have to take it in and get them to do it. Just it takes them weeks to do this type of stuff.

nokiamodeln91

Jun 6, 2012
i went to a few SC and checked if they had the part and one of them had.. so they did it instantly... you will need to do some field work if you want the phone soon..

juliobahar

Nov 24, 2010
Frankston
I can confirm this issue started with my note recently after a ROM flash possibly 2 months ago. I tinkered around just like the OP and I can confirm with a high level of certainty that it isn't a hardware issue. Reverting to stock didn't help much, but using the same ICS modem with which the phone initially came with made the Wi-Fi more stable. However, those spontaneous disconnections are still happening, and with them the phone lags and freezes most of the time. I replaced the USB board with a genuine one from broken screen old note. Everything seems functional apart from the intermittent yet frequent Wi-Fi drop outs. I'd love insight into this matter too.

Added: Wi-Fi just disconnected and reconnected while typing this post by the way.

maktama

Mar 12, 2011
I can confirm this issue started with my note recently after a ROM flash possibly 2 months ago. I tinkered around just like the OP and I can confirm with a high level of certainty that it isn't a hardware issue. Reverting to stock didn't help much, but using the same ICS modem with which the phone initially came with made the Wi-Fi more stable. However, those spontaneous disconnections are still happening, and with them the phone lags and freezes most of the time. I replaced the USB board with a genuine one from broken screen old note. Everything seems functional apart from the intermittent yet frequent Wi-Fi drop outs. I'd love insight into this matter too.

Added: Wi-Fi just disconnected and reconnected while typing this post by the way.

Nope. That's hardware issue,at least ours are. if i use original board no problem occurs(except no charging couse of broken pins), then if i use new usb board problem occurs about gsm reception that explained above. I think your problem(wifi) and our's(phone signal) isn't same.

3clectic

Jun 3, 2012
@ nokiamodeln91 - thanks for the tip, will be trying that. I have done some asking around and I think that I might have an alternative but will need to test it out this weekend.

@ juliobahar - sorry, my wifi signal is strong and constant. By phone reception I mean carrier signal. I have done a fair bit of research on this since logging this question and 99% of it points to hardware issues. I have gotten some new software to track carrier signal via map location (hope this will be able to give me a little more insight into it's performance) and it just seems to be weak (i.e. either a connection isn't quite touching or it just isn't up to scratch) so that when indoors, it just doesn't have the juice to receive.

@ maktama - yes, it is almost certain that it is a hardware issue.

Postmonkeh

May 14, 2011
any further updates on this issue? i damaged my usb port a few weeks back and ordered a replacement from amazon ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009X6BGDM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

i replaced it following a guide on youtube and initially everything seemed to be fine. i could charge again, signal SEEMED fine, and even my mhl adapter worked and i could view the phone display on my tv, so i binned the old usb module.

since then though i've noticed some serious problems with my signal. sometimes (though not all the time) my signal strength drops off terribly indoors. even in the car my strength can go from full bars outside the window to 0 bars in the car, especially if i have my charger plugged in. it's very inconsistent though, in some places i've noticed very little change to signal strength. wifi seems fine though and outdoor use appears to be as good as it ever was!

is there any point flashing another modem or even completely reflashing my phone (i'm running a fully stock rom though i am rooted) or is this definitely a hardware issue that can only be resolved with a new board? i'm due a new phone in february anyway but it's a bit of a pain not being able to rely on having a signal even when i know i should have one

nokiamodeln91

Jun 6, 2012
There has been lot of similar issues replacing the usb module from sellers other than Samsung service. May be the antenna connection was not made properly. Open it up again and do a thorough check. If all Ok, then you might need a genuine part.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

Postmonkeh

May 14, 2011
sorry i should have said i did re open the phone and checked all my connections.

any idea where a genuine samsung board can be bought, and is the board revision really as critical as people say? as i said, i stupidly threw my original board away because i thought the new one was working so have no idea what revision my board was.

nokiamodeln91

Jun 6, 2012
Genuine part from the Samsung guys. Most of the time it's Rev 1.0. Yes the Rev is important.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    take a look at your original usb port and put it next to the imitation cheap board from ebay. you will see that it looks exactly the same at first glance but at close inspection you will notice different labeling. I have bought 6 boards from ebay from different sources and all were bad. some with no sound, one wont charge, one will turn off the phone when I connect the charger.
    Now I have established what a real usb port looks like with the conductive tape covering the back antenna. I have ordered 2 parts from 2 sources who have confirmed all the original marking and labels on their parts. they claim its original and OEM. so give me time so I can receive the item, install and test it. then I will give my review.
    meanwhile you can look at these 2 different sellers. I think they have original parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271148163771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261224231849?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    $12

Where did you source the replacement part, is it stock samsung and are you sure it's the same revision?

i have totally in same position. i have damaged usb port, couldn't charge. then buy an 5$ usb bord that same rev with original one. But reception is totally unstable. Especially when driving, reception have (nearly) always zero bar. And inside building reception is half of original part and also unstable. Tried most of what u tried, no luck. i think i have to repair original one(i opened inside the phone, all usb port pins broken from thecorner point. Just have to replace usb port )

So long as you use a stock replacement part and not the eBay alternatives, you'll be fine. These problems occur with the imitation parts.