Rapid Battery Drain - How can I improve?

Search This thread

Bad4ss

Jan 12, 2009
Wolverhampton
What you might want to do is download Greenify on the play store. This will tell you what apps are running in the background and then it will turn them off (hibernate).

Go to accounts and uncheck stuff u dont need synced

Make sure that you leave the battery charging for about 10-15 minutes more after your cradle light turns green. Sometimes the battery isn't fully charged despite the cradle light turning green. 30 minutes on a game shouldn't be using that much battery consumption.

I usually get about 10-12 hours or more on each of my batteries ( video calling, chatting, games and my 4g is turned on 90% of the time :)

Try this from Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en

You can read their reviews and install the app but don't download too many battery monitor apps :) Keep us posted after a few days of monitoring :) Good luck :good:

Thanks, I've tried all these, and nothing seems to be helping - tried loads of other things over the time between taking all your suggestions and it seems to be getting worse.

One thing I have noticed though is that almost ALL the Apps keep restarting ALL the time. I think that is what is killing the battery. Does anybody know why all the apps keep restarting over and over again when I look in App Manager, and how to prevent it happening?

Batfink33

Thanks, I've tried all these, and nothing seems to be helping - tried loads of other things over the time between taking all your suggestions and it seems to be getting worse.

One thing I have noticed though is that almost ALL the Apps keep restarting ALL the time. I think that is what is killing the battery. Does anybody know why all the apps keep restarting over and over again when I look in App Manager, and how to prevent it happening?

Do you have the 2 or 3gb version?

Batfink33

I have the 2gb version, does that matter?

The QHD screen uses 600mb of RAM as video RAM, an HD screen only uses 250-300MB. Android works by killing apps in the background when it runs out of RAM.Your apps are probably being killed as the phone is low on free RAM, that's why you're seeing them starting new all the time. If you've only got 2GB of RAM then most of it will be used up as Video RAM and the OS leaving only as small amount for apps.

Bad4ss

Jan 12, 2009
Wolverhampton
The QHD screen uses 600mb of RAM as video RAM, an HD screen only uses 250-300MB. Android works by killing apps in the background when it runs out of RAM.Your apps are probably being killed as the phone is low on free RAM, that's why you're seeing them starting new all the time. If you've only got 2GB of RAM then most of it will be used up as Video RAM and the OS leaving only as small amount for apps.

So is this an issue on the 2Gb version of the phone? How can I prevent this from happening?

Batfink33

So is this an issue on the 2Gb version of the phone? How can I prevent this from happening?

I'm not sure about the battery drain but that's probably why you see your apps restarting all the time (I was only answering that question). Whether or not that causes battery drain, I don't know. Obviously if you have 3gb of RAM, there is more free for apps so they won't be closed by the OS. There's nothing really you can do software wise as its a physical hardware issue.

Last edited:

Bad4ss

Jan 12, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm not sure about the battery drain but that's probably why you see your apps restarting all the time (I was only answering that question). Whether or not that causes battery drain, I don't know. Obviously if you have 3gb of RAM, there is more free for apps so they won't be closed by the OS. There's nothing really you can do software wise as its a physical hardware issue.

In that case I still have this issue of the phone using battery like a maniac. 20% in 15 minutes of use, twitter, browsing whatsapp etc. was one of the worst examples. That's with Location off, screen at 25% brightness.

Grrr, I thought it was supposed to get better after a few recharges, but nearly a month now and still the same problem :(

Anyone got any more ideas, please?

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com

I've started a new drinking game. Go through Batfink's posts and take a drink every time he mentions the QHD display taking up 600MB of RAM ;)

blazer2704

Aug 7, 2014
I just realised a new issue with my phone that I really am surprised about now. I charge my phone at 100% and within 2 hours I have lost a good 30% of my battery within a space of 2 hours.. By having the phone on just locked.. All recent apps closed. Its a strange issue. I dont know why all of a sudden.. I can see in the battery menu that andriod os and android system are taken up about 47% and the display taking 35%...

Im sorry to branch from one issue to another but I dont really know what to do. And I am really worried in doing factory reset and losing my data. I am having to charge my phone in space of 2 times in a day.. doesnt make sense.

Thanks so much

Buddy1065

Aug 5, 2014
Battery drain LG G3 cured

I had performed a Factory Data Reset more than a few times with no success. In my case the battery continued to drain while the top potion of the phone continued to overheat; I assumed that to be the processor in overdrive, but what was causing it? I downloaded GSAM Battery Monitor and noticed SYSTEM (SD) was over 50% in usage by itself. I swapped out the 128 GB SD card with a lesser 64 GB SD card. Now the phone is back to being as cool as a cucumber with normal battery drain. I had the phone operating normally for about 3 weeks before this and even after installing the 128 GB card the phone operated great, so I suppose it must be something recently installed onto the card, or the card itself that was doing it.
One thing for sure, the GSAM battery app tracked down the problem quickly.

Reactions: moris-g

ecapuano

Mar 24, 2011
San Antonio
I had performed a Factory Data Reset more than a few times with no success. In my case the battery continued to drain while the top potion of the phone continued to overheat; I assumed that to be the processor in overdrive, but what was causing it? I downloaded GSAM Battery Monitor and noticed SYSTEM (SD) was over 50% in usage by itself. I swapped out the 128 GB SD card with a lesser 64 GB SD card. Now the phone is back to being as cool as a cucumber with normal battery drain. I had the phone operating normally for about 3 weeks before this and even after installing the 128 GB card the phone operated great, so I suppose it must be something recently installed onto the card, or the card itself that was doing it.

Had the exact same issue.... This post helped me trace it to the SD card... Literally just popped up the other day, after weeks of good use.. SD was causing the phone to heat up and drain rapidly. Pulling it made the problem go away.. Going to purge and format the SD to see if I can return it to the phone.

fbfortes

Sep 2, 2010
could stop the battery drain. battery charged to 100%. updated to version v10j. root and battery calibration after about 2 hours of battery to 100% and charging. rebooted and left carrying the entire night.

DarkAbyssSoul

May 31, 2014
Greenwood
If you have root

Try greenify, and GSam Battery. It gives a little bit better information then wake lock. Make sure you install the root version of the app.

bk33

Aug 28, 2006
2 months old G3

Yeah I'm experiencing the problem. Not only the battery drains when not in use. When I use it while charging, the battery goes down. It's not screen brightness or connectivity issues (bluetooth...etc are always off)

It seems to me most people that got to use BBS or GSAM must have phones rooted. Is it mandatory that I root it to fix the battery issue?

Edit: So I tried GSAM and the biggest battery user besides the Screen at 44% is "Android system" at 26% and "Kernel (Android OS)" at 17%, everything else is 2% and less.

What's the fix? I imagine I can't stop "Android system" or " Kernel"

Last edited:

hectorcanu

Jan 16, 2008
Yeah I'm experiencing the problem. Not only the battery drains when not in use. When I use it while charging, the battery goes down. It's not screen brightness or connectivity issues (bluetooth...etc are always off)

It seems to me most people that got to use BBS or GSAM must have phones rooted. Is it mandatory that I root it to fix the battery issue?

Edit: So I tried GSAM and the biggest battery user besides the Screen at 44% is "Android system" at 26% and "Kernel (Android OS)" at 17%, everything else is 2% and less.

What's the fix? I imagine I can't stop "Android system" or " Kernel"
I have the same problem.

ganesh81289

Jul 27, 2010
Heavy Drain in Battery and with Quick Circle Cover even bad

A full charge battery drains our in less than 6 hours for me , many a times. I am used to a note II , and the battery which was similar to the 3k MAH category performed much much better than LG G3.

The brightness set to auto, with Bluetooth on at times for car ,etc kills the battery - thinking if custom rom would help, any suggestions ?

:eek:

garlnt

May 7, 2011
a full charge battery drains our in less than 6 hours for me , many a times. I am used to a note ii , and the battery which was similar to the 3k mah category performed much much better than lg g3.

The brightness set to auto, with bluetooth on at times for car ,etc kills the battery - thinking if custom rom would help, any suggestions ?

:eek:

anyone found android system battery drain solution

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My battery seems to be draining quite fast. I have removed a lot of bloatware, but I'm not getting the type of performance that others are getting.

It has lost 70% in 5 hours just doing a little browsing, watching a 20minute video and playing a game for half an hour. This was with Wifi on, and mobile data switched off, and background data switched off too.

I've had the device for a week now and I've charged it every day.

Any Ideas on how to improve it?

Could well be your brightness level? Are you using autobrightness or is it on a fixed level (I hope its not fixed at 100%!)

If you use autobrightness try using an app like LUX auto brightness instead.
    My battery seems to be draining quite fast. I have removed a lot of bloatware, but I'm not getting the type of performance that others are getting.

It has lost 70% in 5 hours just doing a little browsing, watching a 20minute video and playing a game for half an hour. This was with Wifi on, and mobile data switched off, and background data switched off too.

I've had the device for a week now and I've charged it every day.

Any Ideas on how to improve it?

If you are rooted get wakelock detector that will tell you what's up
    If 're not using Xposed Frameowrk for tweaks, looking into enabling ART - I did that and my battery life has been impressive.
    Battery drain LG G3 cured