[GUIDE] PermaRoot using VISIONary r12

Search This thread

willk22

May 19, 2009
London
IF THIS GOES WRONG (which it shouldn't) then my guide is NOT responsible. The app that YOU used it NOT responsible. YOU are responsible! Use at YOUR OWN risk!

Ok well there are two threads giving excellent guides on how to permaroot your phone, however PaulOBrien recently updated VISIONary to give a two-click permaroot to the desire HD and so we can get an easy basic permaroot without messing around with adb, terminal and whatnot!

Obviously this just achieves root, but doesn't get S-OFF. It also doesn't rewrite your Hboot...

The noob guide (for people like me...)

Step 0.5: If you have already got temproot using VISIONary r11 or earlier, make sure you uncheck 'temproot on startup' and then reboot your phone. Then once your phone has rebooted, remove VISIONary, reboot, and proceed with the steps below! (To let you know why, if you have temprooted with previous versions of VISIONary, r12 conflicts with it - this is because r12 checks for root and thinks the device is already rooted if a previous version has temprooted it...)

UPDATE: If you are having problems with your device saying it is already rooted try VISIONary r13 which Paul released as a fix I believe:

http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/com.modaco.visionaryplus.r13.apk Original post on MoDaCo - http://android.modaco.com/content-page/320350/10-nov-r12-test-visionary-one-click-root/page/120/

After you are all prepared:

Step 1: Download VISIONary r14: http://android.modaco.com/content/h...722/10-nov-r12-test-visionary-one-click-root/ and install it on your DHD

Step 2: Temproot your phone using VISIONary

Step 3: Use the Permaroot option to Permaroot your phone!

This is just a guide to get basic Permaroot on your DHD. However, if you would like to get S-OFF then please go to the guide written by sfjuocekr. He has prepared and written an excellent and (relatively) easy way to get it.

FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY TO AVOID YOUR DHD BECOMING A GORGEOUS ALBEIT USELESS BRICK

Here it is: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835746

As a final note, I'm not sure whether this (VISIONary) works on all kernel versions, but give it a try anyway! There is also an option in the app to get a one-click unroot.

ALL credit goes to PaulOBrien for making and updating this fantastic app!:D

Last edited:

funnyclub

Sep 13, 2010
I tried the unroot just to see and it worked.
Something I was wondering was is do we need to click on the options 1/ Run visionary.sh after root and 2/Set system r/w after root? And if we do what do these do?

SupremeBeaver

Jun 10, 2010
Nicosia
i think we need a tutorial that uses VISIONary for permanent root, and then the remaining instructions to get S-OFF.

imo that would be the most noob friendly tutorial.

Nov 12, 2010
Hi all. Im a first time android user and the DHD is my first ever smart phone. I only got it because of the informed posts on this site which constituted a lot of my research over the last few months.

I initially ran the temp root (R12) to remove Amazon MP3, facebook etc however I became frustrated at having to re root the thing every reboot. Just completed the Perma-root and it did exactly what it said on the tin with no issues .

Paul is a very clever guy and deserves all the credit he gets for doing this. Cheers for all the help XDA. I wont post much but will keep watching:)

willk22

May 19, 2009
London
i think we need a tutorial that uses VISIONary for permanent root, and then the remaining instructions to get S-OFF.

imo that would be the most noob friendly tutorial.

Agreed! Except i'm not so clear on the process on getting S-OFF and I understand that it is quite risky. IMO as it stands at the moment we should wait until we have an easier method to obtain s-off before we encourage noobs (like me) to do it!

SupremeBeaver

Jun 10, 2010
Nicosia
is anybody out there willing to make another tutorial? Or perhaps alter the ones we have now to incorporate using this app.

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
Agreed! Except i'm not so clear on the process on getting S-OFF and I understand that it is quite risky. IMO as it stands at the moment we should wait until we have an easier method to obtain s-off before we encourage noobs (like me) to do it!

Flashing HBOOT is ALWAYS risky.

Refer to my guide on how to "easily" flash the engineering (S-OFF) HBOOT and you should be able todo it without much effort without a PC. So far I have done about seven or eight DHD's without problems.

Basicly if you make two dumps of the current HBOOT and they don't match, do not continue you will likely end up with a brick. My backup script will dump it twice and show you the MD5 sums, if they match reading and writing should go flawlessly.

is anybody out there willing to make another tutorial? Or perhaps alter the ones we have now to incorporate using this app.

I had this already done two days ago ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835746

fotone

Jan 13, 2008
My Italian Language Guide

Ecco la guida per rootare in telefono in maniera permanente, vi ricordo che è sempre un'operazione che potrebbe comunque comportare qualche rischio.
Però l'hanno effettuata già in tanti in maniera positiva e tra cui anche io :D

Ecco i passi da seguire:

1) Essere certi che sia attiva la modalità "DEBUG USB"
2) Scaricare VISIONary+ r12 : http://android.modaco.com/content/h...722/10-nov-r12-test-visionary-one-click-root/ (non cambiare nome all'applicazione!!!)
3) Se già presente, disinstallare la versione precedente di VISIONary (sia l'applicazione che i dati). Riavviate il terminale selezionado riavvia e NON spegni.
4) Copiare VISIONary+ r12 in una cartella della SD
5) Con il telefono NON collegato al PC installare e lanciare VISIONary+ r12.
6) Selezionare "Temproot on boot" (credo non sia necessaria ma io l'ho selezionata lo stesso)
7) Tappare su "Temproot Now!" ed attendere il messaggio di conferma.
8) Si aprirà una finestra in cui Superuser chiede di concedere i permessi di Root a Visionary, risponedere di si.
9) Tappare su "Attempt Permroot Now!"
10) A questo punto il telefono si riavvierà e vi ritroverete con il root permanente (volendo a questo punto Visionary si può anche disinstallare)

Buon root a tutti

Last edited:

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
ah cool.

So to make sure, what i would do is:

- Install visionary and get perm root. This involves first getting temp root i beleive.

- Extract that archive to root of SD card

- Write those commands into the terminal

And that's it?

Indeed, start with check it will tell you todo backup and afterwards it will tell you to hboot.

SupremeBeaver

Jun 10, 2010
Nicosia
Indeed, start with check it will tell you todo backup and afterwards it will tell you to hboot.

could you describe the steps after where i need to flash hboot. In your instructions you write "Read the instructions on screen on how to continue", but what would that entail? I want to make sure i understand what i'll be doing before i try anything.

Thanks

sfjuocekr

Jun 14, 2008
could you describe the steps after where i need to flash hboot. In your instructions you write "Read the instructions on screen on how to continue", but what would that entail? I want to make sure i understand what i'll be doing before i try anything.

Thanks

The instructions will show you the MD5 sums, check those if they match continue.

Once you get to the hboot step and the MD5 sums match up again you can reboot your phone.

You can also read the scripts using notepad to get a better understanding of what is being done.

The first step is to check if the HBOOT file you extracted is actually still valid.
The second step is to check if you can make a correct backup of your original HBOOT and recovery.
The third step is actually flashing HBOOT and checking if it flashed correctly.
The fourth step is to either reboot if everything went correctly, don't reboot if it failed and report back on the forums.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IF THIS GOES WRONG (which it shouldn't) then my guide is NOT responsible. The app that YOU used it NOT responsible. YOU are responsible! Use at YOUR OWN risk!

Ok well there are two threads giving excellent guides on how to permaroot your phone, however PaulOBrien recently updated VISIONary to give a two-click permaroot to the desire HD and so we can get an easy basic permaroot without messing around with adb, terminal and whatnot!

Obviously this just achieves root, but doesn't get S-OFF. It also doesn't rewrite your Hboot...

The noob guide (for people like me...)

Step 0.5: If you have already got temproot using VISIONary r11 or earlier, make sure you uncheck 'temproot on startup' and then reboot your phone. Then once your phone has rebooted, remove VISIONary, reboot, and proceed with the steps below! (To let you know why, if you have temprooted with previous versions of VISIONary, r12 conflicts with it - this is because r12 checks for root and thinks the device is already rooted if a previous version has temprooted it...)

UPDATE: If you are having problems with your device saying it is already rooted try VISIONary r13 which Paul released as a fix I believe:

http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/com.modaco.visionaryplus.r13.apk Original post on MoDaCo - http://android.modaco.com/content-page/320350/10-nov-r12-test-visionary-one-click-root/page/120/

After you are all prepared:

Step 1: Download VISIONary r14: http://android.modaco.com/content/h...722/10-nov-r12-test-visionary-one-click-root/ and install it on your DHD

Step 2: Temproot your phone using VISIONary

Step 3: Use the Permaroot option to Permaroot your phone!

This is just a guide to get basic Permaroot on your DHD. However, if you would like to get S-OFF then please go to the guide written by sfjuocekr. He has prepared and written an excellent and (relatively) easy way to get it.

FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY TO AVOID YOUR DHD BECOMING A GORGEOUS ALBEIT USELESS BRICK

Here it is: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835746

As a final note, I'm not sure whether this (VISIONary) works on all kernel versions, but give it a try anyway! There is also an option in the app to get a one-click unroot.

ALL credit goes to PaulOBrien for making and updating this fantastic app!:D
    You can delete VISIONary+ yes :)