[TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1

Search This thread

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Well as long as we have ICS OTA this thread seems to be less needed. Anyway, I'll leave it this way in case someone is stuck on HC 3.2 without root and without being able to update to ICS. How to get root on your stock ICS, look here or here

If you’re reading this may be you’re stuck with a 3.2 OTA update without ROOT privileges on your A500. This tutorial explains how to revert your OTA 3.2 to 3.0.1. Original article for those of you who speak Russian here
Thanks to begemot666.
These methods could be used to unbrick your device i.e. when boot.img and recovery.img are corrupt.

METHOD 1 - thanks, vache

It is best to use a PC with Windows 7 on it. Most of the problems reported seem to be XP related.

1. Download and unpack the archive provided by vache here - for Firefox rightclick and select "Save link as".
MIRROR
2. Get your UID (without it nothing is going to work). How to do that – read sc2k’s itsmagic thread. Enable USB debugging on the tablet.
3. Edit the file CPUID inside the extracted folder with a text editor - you have to change this line with your UID number but you need to add “zeroxzero” in front of it, example: if your UID is 37c7040425ff0d7, at the end it needs to look like 0x037c7040425ff0d7.
Save the file.
4. Connect your tablet with the PC.
5. Run PBJ20upgrade.exe as administrator and follow app instructions. USB drivers are provided with this archive and the app installs them automatically according to your system.
6. After driver installation the app scans your tablet and it will show version number of your current firmware and version number of the firmware that is going to be applied after restoration. Follow all application instructions. Tablet will switch to APX mode with ACER logo on its screen and on your PC you’ll see the progress bar of the process. Before the beginning of the flashing process the app will ask you for identification number. Here you enter your UID which you have placed in the CPUID file with a zero infront. Example: 037c7040425ff0d7

Below are screenshots from the EUU app that's used to downgrade to 3.0.1

The whole things takes 10 or more minutes so be patient. Then you’ll have HC 3.0.1 :D
All data on your system and data partitions will be lost. Storage will remain intact.

7. Once on Honeycomb 3.0.1, install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
8. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

METHOD 1 update: You can use timmyDean 's modified and tweaked EUU tool that will flash directly a rooted stock 3.2.1 ROM:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

METHOD 2 - thanks GamezR2EZ
This is even easier because it does not need your UID. It is just flashing as a normal update but actually it is an older HC version that is rootable by Iconiaroot. Additionally method 2 leaves your data intact and you will be able to backup your apps after downgrading with tools like Titanium Backup. Thanks heldc for pointing this out.

1. Download this package (named "downgrade not stable"). mirror1 mirror2 mirror3
2. Extract the update.zip from it and place it on your external SD card.
3. Turn off your tab and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down key. This will automatically flash the update.zip from your SD card.
4. After flashing is finished you'll have unstable Honeycomb 3.0.1 - gives errors and crashes but you only need it to root and install CWM. If it fails to boot try to hard reset your device *.
5. Install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
6. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

GOOD LUCK !

* How to hard reset your Iconia A500

1. Turn off your tablet
2. Place the screen lock button on the left (red not visible)
3. Hold Volume UP + Power button
4. After the vibration, release the power button and toggle the screen switch few times left-right until you see the following lines appear on the screen

Erasing Userdata...

Erasing Cache...

You can now release Volume UP button.

5. In the top left corner you'll see formatting has started.
6. Tablet will reboot

Attachments

• 1316878875_otkat1.jpg
    1316878875_otkat1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 10,222
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 11,214
Last edited:

bouaroudj

Sep 15, 2006
Hello it's not working for me. I have the message "adb server is out of date killing * daemon"

Last edited:

kuronagi

Dec 5, 2007
it says my uid is incorrect...i put the 0x0 in front of the uid, and typed in the normal uid in last flashing step...error saying incorrect uid.

elsuirad

A little guidance please.

Will try this at home.

edit:

I'm following what says on c2k’s itsmagic thread and ran the batch file (01_backup.bat) but my tablet is not rooted.

Using the manual method in getting my UID, how to execute the "dd"?

Manual method:

1. Get your UID (= USB Serial number, has up to 16 chars) (see at the end of this post how to get). If you brick your device and do not know the UID, you are lost.
2. Backup all partitions (except cache + data) with dd:

I also did this:

How to get the USB serial number:

1. Connect Iconia to your PC
2. Simple method (Window/Linux/Max), thx @daveid

Call:
Code:

Nothing happens but instead, an error message shows up.:(

A little guidance please, thanks.

Last edited:

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
Great, vache. I guess everything else is the same except there's no need to edit the version.cfg file?

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
First post updated ... vache's link added

Anybody, if you find a mistake or a unneeded stuff in the tutorial, please notify me to correct it.

Last edited:

pademat

Aug 3, 2008
München
OPPO Find X3 Pro
what for an A501?

First post updated ... vache's link added

Anybody, if you find a mistake or a unneeded stuff in the tutorial, please notify me to correct it.

I apologize for the stupid question, but it's better to be sure before doing something wrong.

I have an A501, I suppose this procedure is still valid, but I have to skip the point where the product name is changed from A501 to A500.
It's correct?

thanks
Bye
Paolo

it says my uid is incorrect...i put the 0x0 in front of the uid, and typed in the normal uid in last flashing step...error saying incorrect uid.

I've exactly the same problem, with the 2 methods... :(

Edit : I finally found the solution : if the program says "UID is incorrect", you must add a 0 (zero) in front of it - for example, if your UID is 280404412345678, you must write 0280404412345678 - and it works perfectly !

Thank your very much !!! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Thor

ve6rah

Sep 14, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I wonder if one of the devs on here who are smarter than myself could investigate this further and maybe figure out enough from it to come up with a root exploit for 3.2? (seems like it manages to bypass the security of the bootloader to go back to 3.0.1, so it seems logical the same exploit could be used for a direct, and possibly simple, root?)

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

I've exactly the same problem, with the 2 methods... :(
Appears that you have to put a 0 in front of your UID in the last step (wasn't listed in the tutorial, but their example shows it)

On a side note, I've done that, and it claims to be doing the upgrade, but my tablet screen went completely blank (tutorial says it should have the acer logo) and the progress bar is also blank (not moving at all in 10 minutes now)... not entirely sure what's happening, but I have a feeling not much is working right...

synapses11

Jan 19, 2011
Boston
The 2nd method worked for me. FYI if you've ever backed up your rom with CWM your UID is in a txt file in the folder of the backed up ROM. Just omit the 0x at the beggining of this file and copy and paste that when it asks you to enter your UID but use the whole UID you find in this file when copying it into the CPUID.txt file THANKS SO MUCH!!! Im now on 3.01 and ready to root/flash this sucker back to my backed up ROM>

Reactions: petrey

ve6rah

Sep 14, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I have now tried both methods without any success

Method 1 can't see the tablet, it tells me to do a pin-hole reset and click "yes"... but that just takes me back to the same slide.

Method 2 gets all the way to flashing the image, however the status bar never moves (have left it for 2 hours) and the tablet just sits at a blank screen (not the acer logo as the tutorial says)

I tried reflashing the stock rom, factory resetting, clearing the cache, and trying again, all with exactly the same results.

I'm still stuck on stock, unrooted, 3.2 :(

And the worst thing is, with so many people having success with this, it's likely to become the "official" way of rooting 3.2, leaving nobody any incentive to find another way, and me stuck without root :(

synapses11

Jan 19, 2011
Boston
My screen also went completely blank but it still worked and booted into the Acer logo when it was copying the ROM to the tablet with a message of "entering download mode" or something like that in the upper right corner. Once it was done flashing it had in bock ASCII art letters "OK" above the acer logo and then rebooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well as long as we have ICS OTA this thread seems to be less needed. Anyway, I'll leave it this way in case someone is stuck on HC 3.2 without root and without being able to update to ICS. How to get root on your stock ICS, look here or here

If you’re reading this may be you’re stuck with a 3.2 OTA update without ROOT privileges on your A500. This tutorial explains how to revert your OTA 3.2 to 3.0.1. Original article for those of you who speak Russian here
    Thanks to begemot666.
    These methods could be used to unbrick your device i.e. when boot.img and recovery.img are corrupt.

METHOD 1 - thanks, vache

It is best to use a PC with Windows 7 on it. Most of the problems reported seem to be XP related.

1. Download and unpack the archive provided by vache here - for Firefox rightclick and select "Save link as".
    MIRROR
    2. Get your UID (without it nothing is going to work). How to do that – read sc2k’s itsmagic thread. Enable USB debugging on the tablet.
    3. Edit the file CPUID inside the extracted folder with a text editor - you have to change this line with your UID number but you need to add “zeroxzero” in front of it, example: if your UID is 37c7040425ff0d7, at the end it needs to look like 0x037c7040425ff0d7.
    Save the file.
    4. Connect your tablet with the PC.
    5. Run PBJ20upgrade.exe as administrator and follow app instructions. USB drivers are provided with this archive and the app installs them automatically according to your system.
    6. After driver installation the app scans your tablet and it will show version number of your current firmware and version number of the firmware that is going to be applied after restoration. Follow all application instructions. Tablet will switch to APX mode with ACER logo on its screen and on your PC you’ll see the progress bar of the process. Before the beginning of the flashing process the app will ask you for identification number. Here you enter your UID which you have placed in the CPUID file with a zero infront. Example: 037c7040425ff0d7

Below are screenshots from the EUU app that's used to downgrade to 3.0.1

The whole things takes 10 or more minutes so be patient. Then you’ll have HC 3.0.1 :D
    All data on your system and data partitions will be lost. Storage will remain intact.

7. Once on Honeycomb 3.0.1, install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    8. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

METHOD 1 update: You can use timmyDean 's modified and tweaked EUU tool that will flash directly a rooted stock 3.2.1 ROM:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

METHOD 2 - thanks GamezR2EZ
    This is even easier because it does not need your UID. It is just flashing as a normal update but actually it is an older HC version that is rootable by Iconiaroot. Additionally method 2 leaves your data intact and you will be able to backup your apps after downgrading with tools like Titanium Backup. Thanks heldc for pointing this out.

1. Download this package (named "downgrade not stable"). mirror1 mirror2 mirror3
    2. Extract the update.zip from it and place it on your external SD card.
    3. Turn off your tab and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down key. This will automatically flash the update.zip from your SD card.
    4. After flashing is finished you'll have unstable Honeycomb 3.0.1 - gives errors and crashes but you only need it to root and install CWM. If it fails to boot try to hard reset your device *.
    5. Install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    6. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

GOOD LUCK !

* How to hard reset your Iconia A500

1. Turn off your tablet
    2. Place the screen lock button on the left (red not visible)
    3. Hold Volume UP + Power button
    4. After the vibration, release the power button and toggle the screen switch few times left-right until you see the following lines appear on the screen

Erasing Userdata...

Erasing Cache...

You can now release Volume UP button.

5. In the top left corner you'll see formatting has started.
    6. Tablet will reboot
    Maybe it could help : EUUs_SBK_Acer_A500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1
    You can post it in 4PDA.ru.
    This would be alot easier if everyone just used the image vache posted for 3.0.1. That image WILL work for the locked bootloader. After you get back to 3.0.1 you can then root it then install CWM.

OP please update your guide, that is the much easier/safer option.

EDIT-

The actual link has been update. I pointed you to the wrong file previously
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GR57P1NN
    That's method 2. Would you like me to remove metod 1?

No that still uses an EUU.
    The zip in my previous post is an update.zip FROM acer specifically to downgrade from 3.2 to 3.0.1. It will work after you get a locked bootloader.
    After you do that iconiaroot would work, but there are other ways to root 3.0.1 as well. Anyway, it seems like it would be easier and quicker and platform independent.

Try it out
    Glad it worked for you. EUU is not thor's tool, it's ACER's which does not mean he's not a great dev :)

MIRRORS for method 2:

WUPLOAD
    HOTFILE