MMC-SUPERBRICK-BUG Kernel?

Search This thread

bartdoek

Oct 28, 2010
Is there any way of finding out wether or not I have a kernel that is affected by the MMC-Superbrick-bug? I strongly believe I am not affected by this bug, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have a Cyanogenmod Kernel which I flashed using the "noob-proof" guide for Cyanogenmod 9.
GT-I9100 said:
3.0.32-CM-ge9cef6c
blinky-ghost@cyanogenmod #1
SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 9 23:45:01 PDT 2012

Any help would be appreciated :laugh:

Sun90

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 1, 2011
MYSORE - KARNATAKA - INDIA
Is there any way of finding out wether or not I have a kernel that is affected by the MMC-Superbrick-bug? I strongly believe I am not affected by this bug, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have a Cyanogenmod Kernel which I flashed using the "noob-proof" guide for Cyanogenmod 9.

no it doesn't have it, only the stock kernels of Some v4.0.4 firmware had it, so ur safe with that kernel(CM9):)

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos

-Only original/stock kernels of ICS 4.0.4 firmwares are affected by the super brick bug.

Kernels based on the stock 4.0.4one may also contain the bug e.g insecure kernels for rooting or CF-ROOT.

-99.9% is the custom kernels however do not have this super brick bug. I can confirm these kernels don't have it:

-Siyah kernel
-Dorimanx kernel
-dream kernel
-Speedmod kernel
-Neak kernel
-Codeworkx kernel, shipped with CYANOGENMODs and AOKP Roms

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy SII

lucky_sidhu

Sep 13, 2011
New Delhi
Guys its only a suggestion.....

It will be good if some developer can make a windows based application or script that can check any kernel with "MMC_CAP_ERASE=1 or ENABLED"

So one will have to just select a kernel file (.zip or .tar or zimage) and the application will return with a message saying "This Kernel is SAFE to Flash !!!" or "Danger !!! This kernel has Brick bug. Install with extreme caution"

That will help people to check any kernel before flashing and without any fear of brick.. :)

Doekus

Jan 24, 2012
Gelderland
I have run the Gotbrickbug/v1,0.apk and this app said that i have the brickbug. I run 4.0.3 baseband XXLPW - kernel 3,0,15/i9100XWLPD-CL524746.

How can i safely update to jellybean cm10?

gligoran

Oct 14, 2010
Hi guys, I'm new here and I'm thinking about changing the ROM on my SGS2.

Searching around the internet I noticed the warning about this bug quite a few times. I didn't find a way to check if I got it though.

Here are the info from my phone:
Android version: 4.0.3
Baseband version: I9100XXLPQ
Kernel version: 3.0.15-I9100XXLPQ-CL223505 se.infra@SEP-94 #3
Build number: IML74K.XXLPQ

I've updated from GB to ICS when it first came out through Odin. I didn't wait for the ROM from my provider, though, but just downloaded a rom from some Poland provider.

So, do I have this bug? If you can't help me, can you please tell me how I can find out?

Thanks

HAXTREME

Aug 13, 2012
Mumbai
Theres a sticky in the general section listing the firmwares affected by the bug. But it only affects 4.0.4. You're on 4.0.3
So as long as you dont upgrade to 4.0.4 stock you're safe.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: candyman_888

F670ES

May 12, 2012
How about Jelly Bean ? I have a brick bug chip on my i9100...is it safe to go to JB or JB kernels are affected ?

HAXTREME

Aug 13, 2012
Mumbai
How about Jelly Bean ? I have a brick bug chip on my i9100...is it safe to go to JB or JB kernels are affected ?

As of now, nobody seems to have reported the emmc bug on the leaked JB. So its probably safe. If you want to be 100% safe, you may want to use a custom kernel with the JB stock firmware.

hereticnine

Nov 12, 2012
Hyderabad
As of now, nobody seems to have reported the emmc bug on the leaked JB. So its probably safe. If you want to be 100% safe, you may want to use a custom kernel with the JB stock firmware.

Hi HAXTREME,

I've flashed my SGS2 with Dorimanx kernel V7.27, which says that this version is safe kernel.

So can I flash a custom ROM like Resurrection Remix JB on my SGS2 - I9100 phone ?
How can I verify my phone is safe from brickbug issue ?

Regards,
Hereticnine.

F670ES

May 12, 2012

I am going to install custom JB and test a couple of custom kernels. But I'm not sure if all custom JB kernels are 100% safe ? I know Dorimanx, Siyah and Philz are safe.

Btw will that procedure be safe for me (I am on a stock GB 2.3.3 now) :
1. Root phone
2. Flash custom JB rom with CWM or ODIN.....or flash safe custom kernel first ? If so what custom kernel will fit stock GB 2.3.3

Hi HAXTREME,

I've flashed my SGS2 with Dorimanx kernel V7.27, which says that this version is safe kernel.

So can I flash a custom ROM like Resurrection Remix JB on my SGS2 - I9100 phone ?
How can I verify my phone is safe from brickbug issue ?

Regards,
Hereticnine.

First You have to chceck if You have brick bug chip with "emmc brickbug check" from Play Store or with app from this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27014974&postcount=1

And You need to know which kernels are safe but I don't have exact info. The kernels that I mentioned earlier are safe.

Last edited:

HAXTREME

Aug 13, 2012
Mumbai
I am going to install custom JB and test a couple of custom kernels. But I'm not sure if all custom JB kernels are 100% safe ?

1. Root phone
2. Flash custom JB rom with CWM or ODIN.....or flash safe custom kernel first ? If so what custom kernel will fit stock GB 2.3.3
You're on GB so none of those kernels will work for you.
You'd need to first flash stock 4.0.3 and then you can flash one of those kernels.

Or directly flash the leaked 4.1 stock JB. Like I said, AFAIK nobody has found it to be affected by the emmc bug so you should be safe flashing it. Else if you don't feel it safe, use the procedure I mentioned to install siyah, dori, etc.

Reactions: F670ES

F670ES

May 12, 2012
I went for the custom SlimBean + Siyah kernell and it's OK :) Now I wait for official 4.1.2.

daleala

Dec 13, 2012
Melbourne
You'd need to first flash stock 4.0.3 and then you can flash one of those kernels.

Or directly flash the leaked 4.1 stock JB. Like I said, AFAIK nobody has found it to be affected by the emmc bug so you should be safe flashing it. Else if you don't feel it safe, use the procedure I mentioned to install siyah, dori, etc.

This may be a bit of a n00b question, but I want to make sure I don't risk bricking my phone...

I have Android stock 4.0.4 on a non-rooted phone with the superbrick bug (damn!).

(Network unlocked Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 Android 4.0.4 stock image (downloaded via mobile internet),
Baseband I9100XXLQ6,
Kernel version 3.0.15-1056084 dpi@DELL168 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 22 22:58:24 KST 2012,
Build number IMM76D.XWLPW.)

If I only want superuser access on the phone, what is the safest way of going about it? And is there a way of backing up absolutely everything on the phone including the hidden folders like /EFS etc in case I want to go back to the non-rooted version, or in case something goes wrong and I can still flash the phone?
I found a tutorial on teamandroid that looks the easiest to follow, it states to install Odin, then Download SiyahKernel Root I9100XWLPW, then flash/install, does this sound safe, or is there a risk of bricking my phone as I have 4.0.4 with the superbrick bug. (It's a simplified version of the tutorial as I cannot post links yet!)

PS I won't be updating the firmware after this.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

PS If I do need to flash the 4.0.3 or earlier, where can I find the official ROM's?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Only original/stock kernels of ICS 4.0.4 firmwares are affected by the super brick bug.

Kernels based on the stock 4.0.4one may also contain the bug e.g insecure kernels for rooting or CF-ROOT.

-99.9% is the custom kernels however do not have this super brick bug. I can confirm these kernels don't have it:

-Siyah kernel
    -Dorimanx kernel
    -dream kernel
    -Speedmod kernel
    -Neak kernel
    -Codeworkx kernel, shipped with CYANOGENMODs and AOKP Roms

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy SII

no it doesn't have it, only the stock kernels of Some v4.0.4 firmware had it, so ur safe with that kernel(CM9):)
    Theres a sticky in the general section listing the firmwares affected by the bug. But it only affects 4.0.4. You're on 4.0.3
    So as long as you dont upgrade to 4.0.4 stock you're safe.

I am going to install custom JB and test a couple of custom kernels. But I'm not sure if all custom JB kernels are 100% safe ?

1. Root phone

No. That is not necessary. It's been 18 mths since the brickbug thing.

And what part of 'Brickbug only affects rooted stock running 4.0.4, everything (I.E before/after/custom) else is safe regardless of whether you have a susceptible chip or not' is so difficult for people :rolleyes:

Dare you to suggest that to a developer; watch them laugh in your face (because their firmware is safe).