Misnamed apps? Wrong versions? Fix here

Search This thread

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
Taking some advice I saw on the BAW forum one step further, I deleted the entire /data/boot-cache directory (after doing a nandroid backup of course).

Took about 3-4 extra minutes to boot up, presumably to recreate the contents of the directory, but now all of my apps are showing the correct version, correct icon, and correct name. Haven't run into any issues yet.

gilroykilroy

Sep 18, 2009
I didn't want to suggest this just in case something else would mess up. If you have a lot of bad apps this is perhaps faster than deleting each one.

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
I didn't want to suggest this just in case something else would mess up. If you have a lot of bad apps this is perhaps faster than deleting each one.

Hey there you are! Hah.

I did have a lot of bad apps and had some trouble finding the proper directories for a few. I had just done a backup so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also figured this was the perfect place to suggest it for people to try - around here people are smart enough to do real backups before they start deleting things ;)

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
I tried this out and all the programs I'd been having issues with were fixed. I rebooted. Still fixed.

But then I installed three updates and after reboot, the same issue came back again. There must be another cache store somewhere...maybe Android Market related, or at least the Android package manager. Either way, I guess some more digging is in order.

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
I tried this out and all the programs I'd been having issues with were fixed. I rebooted. Still fixed.

But then I installed three updates and after reboot, the same issue came back again. There must be another cache store somewhere...maybe Android Market related, or at least the Android package manager. Either way, I guess some more digging is in order.

I think there's just a bug with the way the phone handles the cache. Did the versions go back to what they were before you deleted the cache, or what they were after you deleted the cache and before you updated the apps?

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
Looks like the versions didn't revert. Last night, I used aTrackDog to send myself a list of all my apps. I can't remember the three that I updated today, but the two I do remember, Flixster Movies and Handcent did not revert.

Lastnight:
Movies,2.0.1
Handcent Sms,2.9.12

Now:
Movies,2.1.0
Handcent Sms,2.9.13

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
Well, I decided to remove Dolphin browser since I noticed it kept opening up and running in the background (active, at least that's what Taskiller says). Of course, the next reboot caused all the icons to get messed up again.

So, I thought to look for other cache directories. Does anyone think that deleting /data/dalvik-cache in addition to the /data/boot-cache directory might help? Is it safe to try it out? I'm assuming it'll just get repopulated automatically.

gilroykilroy

Sep 18, 2009

After you install any updates you will have to continue to remove the /data/boot-cache version until HTC/Sprint fixes the bug.

tstack77

Nov 9, 2007
Chicago
HTC One (m7)
HTC EVO 3D
I had this issue with Google Sky Maps and it worked to let me back in. What was displaying after a day or so renamed itself to 'End User License Agreement' and wouldn't let me get past the EULA screen, only offering the option to force close.

The only caveat is that now Sky Maps is still named 'End User License Agreement', but it at least let's me in.

Odd

mercado79

Oct 4, 2008
Boston, MA
I tried removing both boot-cache and dalvik-cache. Didn't make any difference...eventually, the errors return if/when you update or install an app.

blankd3ckskat3r

Sep 22, 2007
this must be a bug with the hero. i had the Moment and no apps renamed themselves at all. reset after reset the apps were fine. i reset my hero once and it messes up the apps

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
Doh! Doesn't seem like there's any easy perm fix in sight... hope it doesn't happen w/ 2.0 and Sense...