[MOD] Remove Ongoing Wifi Notification

Search This thread

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
So seeing how the new OTA came out I wasnt sure if the old file would work on the new OTA so I updated the wifi removal

This is from the OTA and it removes the Ongoing Wifi in the status bar:

I would not recommend using this with the old base

I used the .zip portion from the OP but the .apk I edited myself.
Let me know if there are any issues

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
So seeing how the new OTA came out I wasnt sure if the old file would work on the new OTA so I updated the wifi removal

Thanks! Just got a 4g gonna flash this asap!

DROID RAZR MAXX

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
Can't figure out why this never works for me. Is there a trick too it or something? Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Edit:

Never mind user error...

Last edited:

elkay

Apr 6, 2005
github.com
Could someone post the APK for the new 2.06 OTA? I'd dig through the apk myself but someone that already made the mod can probably fix it up the new apk in about 2 minutes.

terrorist96

Jul 9, 2012
This causes me to lose root when I have TWRP and this stock 2.06 rom installed
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2237664

I know that this is the problem because I regained root through reinstalling TWRP (this time the latest version 2.5) and then flashed the above rom. I had root working just fine. Then as soon as I went into recovery and flashed this zip to remove the wifi notification, it immediately told me I didn't have root anymore while still in recovery.

Edit: This mod worked perfectly for me when I was on 1.15, but since then, I have obtained S-off and have flashed the 2.06 build. This mod is not compatible with this 2.06 rom (linked above)

Edit 2: K just finished reading this whole thread and I saw two links to wifi remover zips. Which one is which?
One is made by .torrented entitled "WiFi_icon_remover.zip" while another one posted by elkay entitled "WiFi_icon_remover_2.06.zip"
What's the deal?

Last edited:

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
This causes me to lose root when I have TWRP and this stock 2.06 rom installed
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2237664

I know that this is the problem because I regained root through reinstalling TWRP (this time the latest version 2.5) and then flashed the above rom. I had root working just fine. Then as soon as I went into recovery and flashed this zip to remove the wifi notification, it immediately told me I didn't have root anymore while still in recovery.

Edit: This mod worked perfectly for me when I was on 1.15, but since then, I have obtained S-off and have flashed the 2.06 build. This mod is not compatible with this 2.06 rom (linked above)

Edit 2: K just finished reading this whole thread and I saw two links to wifi remover zips. Which one is which?
One is made by .torrented entitled "WiFi_icon_remover.zip" while another one posted by elkay entitled "WiFi_icon_remover_2.06.zip"
What's the deal?

Mine is for the 2.04 update which was before the 2.06

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Any way to post the edits made for this fix? Thanks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

open the .apk with either 7zip or WinRAR and remove a few .png's and then you are good... I just don't remember what .png's need to be removed or where they were but I do know that they are in the same folder

Last edited:

CharliesTheMan

Mine is for the 2.04 update which was before the 2.06

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Decompile the .apk and remove a few .png's and then recompile the .apk and then you are good... I just don't remember what .png's need to be removed or where they were but I do know that they are in the same folder

Man this thing has been whipping me. However I will win. I'm workin up a lil sumthin sumthin right now

Reactions: terrorist96

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
Maybe elkay will let us in on the secret I would love to know. I used his MOD in my 2.06 ROM hope that was ok....

CharliesTheMan

Maybe elkay will let us in on the secret I would love to know. I used his MOD in my 2.06 ROM hope that was ok....

It's the su binary that gets over written, I ran across another of elkays post and remembered he used supersu.

So the answer is flash uninstall superuser from system/app and flash the wifi mod followed directly by the super su flashable

http://download.chainfire.eu/315/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip

Here's the thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Reactions: terrorist96

terrorist96

Jul 9, 2012
It was a nightmare and a half but I finally did get it working. For anyone else who might need help:
If you have 2.06 on your DNA and wanna get rid of the wifi notification by simply flashing a zip, then flash the one by elkay entitled "WiFi_icon_remover_2.06.zip"
BUT, if you're like me and you have "Superuser" and NOT "SuperSU" then you will need to download SuperSU from CharliesTheMan's link above and also have that on your SD card along with the wifi remover zip.

First uninstall your original Superuser using ES File Explorer (or something similar). Next, boot into recovery, select the wifi remover zip to flash and select the SuperSU to be flashed right after it. If you have TWRP, it should give you an option to flash multiple zips in a row automatically (up to 10). If not, I guess you can flash one, then flash the other manually.
Reboot.

This should prevent you from losing root after flashing the wifi notification remover zip.

Thanks a great deal to CharliesTheMan for helping me out. You should donate to him :)

Last edited:

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
OK I modified elkay script for his On Going WiFi Remover it "should" work now without breaking root. Anyone want to test it and report back that would be great. Thanks

Note: this is for 2.06

Attachments

• WiFi_icon_remover_2.06.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
this mod replaces framework-htc-res.apk to remove the ongoing wifi notification

essentially what is done is you delete the images right out of the drawable folders on the apk w/ 7zip or whatever

any issues associated with flashing it and bootlooping are generally with using versions meant for older roms (ie 2.04 and flashing 1.15 version) as its a framework file that can be modified update to update

Reactions: gepaut85 and zone23

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heres a mod to remove the Ongoing Wifi Notification. You have to be unlocked and have a custom recovery.

Step 1 : Download

Step 2: Flash via Recovery

Step 3: Reboot and Enjoy!

Thanks to dsb9938 for his flashable zip!

fdaoau.png
    EDIT:
    Here is the modified APK from the 3.06.605.4 ROM here which has the notification taken out. -- Download
    Just flash it over with the command above and you're good :) Or someone could throw this into a script; I don't know how to do that...

Here's a flashable zip for the above file.

EDIT: fixed file is up. tested and working.

Any chance this can be updated for 3.05?

It's the same process as outlined in pages 3-4 in the thread.

Open up
    Code:
    framework/framework-htc-res.apk
    with something like WinRAR, and delete the following:

Code:
    stat_sys_wifi_signal_0.png (for "no wifi signal in range")
    stat_sys_wifi_signal_4.png (for "connected to wifi")
    stat_notify_wifi_in_range.png (for "wifi signal in range")
    stat_sys_wifi_signal_off.png (for "wifi is off")

out of the res/drawable folders (xhdpi, xxhdpi, etc.) and you're all good.

If you do this after you've already flashed the ROM, you'll just need to flash the modified APK with adb:

Code:
    adb push C:\path-to-file\framework-htc-res.apk /system/framework/framework-htc-res.apk

EDIT:
    Here is the modified APK from the 3.06.605.4 ROM here which has the notification taken out. -- Download
    Just flash it over with the command above and you're good :) Or someone could throw this into a script; I don't know how to do that...