[HOW TO] REZOUND ICS BOOTANIMATIONs

Search This thread

racinwarrior

Aug 12, 2010
I figured I would share with the community since people are finding ICS a little tricky

*JUST AN UPDATE. I FOUND THAT THE BEATS AND VZW FOLDERS CAN HAVE ANY NUMBER OF IMAGES*

What you need:

boot animation creator.exe (windows program) get it at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1234611 (credit to despotovski01)
7zip (windows program) http://www.7-zip.org/
fotosizer (windows program) http://www.fotosizer.com/
some type of boot animation (youtube video, collection of images, whatever)
the stock VZW boot animation (attached)
file explorer app (root explorer, es file explorer, etc)

Steps:

create a folder somewhere that you will be working from
in that folder, create a folder named VZW
use fotosizer to rename the images.

USE THESE SETTINGS : Preset size - original, destination folder (the folder you created earlier named VZW, output format - JPEG, file name mask (this is important) render_720x1280_compress %NNN

add your images to fotosizer and click start. it will output the images to the folder you chose all named "render_720x1280_compress xxx.jpeg"
grab the "beats" folder and the "android" folder from the stock animation
place these folders with VZW
open the boot animation creator.exe
choose the folder that contains beats, android and VZW and choose next

HERE IS THE TRICKY PART: the settings have to be like this or it wont work

android - 1 15
beats - 1 15
VZW - X 90 (x can be as many times as you want the image set in the VZW folder to repeat)
width - 720
height - 1280
speed - 15

choose next and save it anywhere you want. The file must be named Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip
Place the zip on your sd card and drop it where ever you ROM has its boot animation (either /system/customize/resource or /data/local or /system/media)
change the permissions to RW-R-R using a file explorer and reboot

IF YOU DON'T WANT THE BEATS ANIMATION:

use fotosizer once again to rename your first 35 images to "Beats Audio Animation as JPG Seq XX" the same way as you did with the VZW folder and place them in the "beats" folder
you will need to redo the naming process again for the VZW folder
follow the same steps for the bootanimation creator.exe program

IF YOU WANT LANDSCAPE

Simply open the folder that your images are stored in, single click on the first image, press and hold the shift key, click on the last image. right click and choose rotate clockwise. proceed as normal.

you can also create a flashable zip (include with the tools and credit Mr.Smith317) with the animation placed in the correct location

(there may be other ways of doing this process, but this ways has always worked without fail)

DOWNLOAD THE TOOLS

Last edited:

racinwarrior

Aug 12, 2010
Adding sound :

grab your sound file. it must be an mp3 and shouldn't be longer than 15 seconds
rename it to android_audio.mp3

the default.xml file in /system/customize/CID needs to be edited

find this line 3/4 of the way down in the xml file
<BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip"

add this to the end
"audio="/system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3" audiostart="VZW"/>

the whole line should be
<BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip"audio="/system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3" audiostart="VZW"/>

*notice "/system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip? thats where your boot animation is stored*

place you audio mp3 file in the same folder as the boot animation
change permissions to RW-R-R

reboot

the sound will start to play when the VZW folder images start. if you want to change this edit this part of the line you added

audiostart="VZW"/> to what ever folder you want it to start at

Last edited:

SynisterWolf

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
xdaforums.com
so i have been asked to create a few custom boot animations. I dont mind doing stuff, but i have been swamped at work. I figured I would share with the community since people are finding ICS a little tricky

What you need:

boot animation creator.exe (windows program, attached)
7zip (windows program)
fotosizer (windows program)
some type of boot animation (you tube video, collection of images, whatever)
file explorer

Steps:

USE THESE SETTINGS : Preset size - original, destination folder (the folder you created earlier named VZW, output format - JPEG, file name mask (this is important) render_720x1280_compress 0%N

add your images to fotosizer and click start. it will output the images to the folder you chose all named "render_720x1280_compress xxx.jpeg"
change the first 9 images so that they are named "render_720x1280_compress 001, 002, 003" etc
if you have more than 100 images rename them as "render_720x1280_compress 100, 101, 102" etc (the goal is to end up with the imaged names 001 to XXX consecutively)
choose the folder that contains beats, android and VZW

android - 1 15
beats - 1 15
VZW - X 90 (x can be as many times as you want the image in VZW to repeat)
width - 720
height - 1280
speed - 15

choose next and save it anywhere you want. The file must be named Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip
Place the zip on your sd card and drop it where ever you ROM has its boot animation (either /system/customize/resource or /data/local or /system/media)

you can also create a flashable zip with the animation placed in the correct location

DOWNLOAD THE TOOLS

THANK YOU. i wanted to port my boot animation but it wasnt working. i cant wait to try.:D

silverxbv2

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jun 28, 2010
I made a ton of boot animations a while back, mostly for the inc and EVO. I opened one of the stock Rezound ones up the other to look around inside at the files. Why are the folders duplicated? The one I looked at has 2 beats, 2 vzw, etc. They seem to have the exact same images in them.

Also. Which animation does what? On a couple if Roma I tried the.boot animation was different depending on how I booted. Doing a full power down and reboot was different than doing a hot reboot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

who MIKE D

Inactive Recognized Themer
Mar 13, 2011
Central, Florida
Hey man im not sure if you put the wrong thing in there or if i'm retarded, but the "Boot Animation Creator.exe" is a shortcut to the program not the program itself

Let me know if im missing something, thanks dude :D

racinwarrior

Aug 12, 2010
Hey man im not sure if you put the wrong thing in there or if i'm retarded, but the "Boot Animation Creator.exe" is a shortcut to the program not the program itself

Let me know if im missing something, thanks dude :D

Must have grabbed the wrong icon for the zip. I'm stuck in bed with tbe flu right now. I will try to fix it in a few hours

sent from your mom

racinwarrior

Aug 12, 2010
I made a ton of boot animations a while back, mostly for the inc and EVO. I opened one of the stock Rezound ones up the other to look around inside at the files. Why are the folders duplicated? The one I looked at has 2 beats, 2 vzw, etc. They seem to have the exact same images in them.

Also. Which animation does what? On a couple if Roma I tried the.boot animation was different depending on how I booted. Doing a full power down and reboot was different than doing a hot reboot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

They only need to have one set. Not sure which one you were looking at, but only one set is right

I think fastboot uses a different shortened animation

sent from your mom

knuckles562

Jun 30, 2010
Whittier
If you change "render_720x1280_compress 0%N" to "render_720x1280_compress %NNN" you don't have to go back and add the extra 0 to the first 9 or fix anything over 100.

xarmorx

Mar 3, 2012
Layton
FPS?

First of all great guide, and congrats on making the first page. I was wondering if there was any way to increase the FPS (im trying to increase it to 25) of the boot animation, I've noticed that anytime I change it in boot animation creator, my animation doesn't work anymore. If I can't change it in the boot animation creator, what would be the best way to speed up the frames a bit? Thanks in advance.

homeslice976

Feb 25, 2010
Central Pennsylvania
First of all great guide, and congrats on making the first page. I was wondering if there was any way to increase the FPS (im trying to increase it to 25) of the boot animation, I've noticed that anytime I change it in boot animation creator, my animation doesn't work anymore. If I can't change it in the boot animation creator, what would be the best way to speed up the frames a bit? Thanks in advance.

First of all thank you OP for this walkthrough. I have a Vivid and haven't been able to get bootsounds to work. With a little guidance from post 2, we have bootsound!

Xarmox - In all the animations I've ever made, there should be a desc.txt in your animation's .zip, along with the image folders. In this .txt file, the first line will display "width height framespersecond". You should be able to speed it up/slow it down by editing the fps

Also to OP and anyone else who might be interested - if you leave off the audiostart="folder", it will just start the sound at the beginning of the animation, rather than looking for a specific folder name. This would allow other animations that don't use the same folder structure to utilize the sound. However if you only want your sound to start at a specific roll of images, this is a great addition!

Last edited:
Reactions: xarmorx

xarmorx

Mar 3, 2012
Layton
Xarmox - In all the animations I've ever made, there should be a desc.txt in your animation's .zip, along with the image folders. In this .txt file, the first line will display "width height framespersecond". You should be able to speed it up/slow it down by editing the fps

thank you for the advice, the problem I'm having is that anytime i change the FPS in the desc.txt or in the boot animation program, my boot animation doesn't play on my phone when i boot up, it just shows the splash screen until the phone boots up. Its as if the ReZound won't play any boot animation unless its at 15 FPS.

I tried deleting every other image in the VZW folder and renamed them (I think this would give the appearance of ~30 FPS, when played at 15FPS), which isn't the preferred way, because its gonna make syncing up the sound that much more difficult. Maybe I could figure out a good pattern of frames to delete to give the appearance of 25 FPS.

homeslice976

Feb 25, 2010
Central Pennsylvania
thank you for the advice, the problem I'm having is that anytime i change the FPS in the desc.txt or in the boot animation program, my boot animation doesn't play on my phone when i boot up, it just shows the splash screen until the phone boots up. Its as if the ReZound won't play any boot animation unless its at 15 FPS.

I tried deleting every other image in the VZW folder and renamed them (I think this would give the appearance of ~30 FPS, when played at 15FPS), which isn't the preferred way, because its gonna make syncing up the sound that much more difficult. Maybe I could figure out a good pattern of frames to delete to give the appearance of 25 FPS.

Don't know if it would matter or not, but are you putting the edited desc.txt back with Store compression (file size and compressed size the same)? I use WinRAR to do this as it allows me to select compression level every time, but have to use 7zip for a lot of the other things I do that don't require Store compression, it seems to just know :)

Edit: Keep in mind I'm saying this without ever having played with a bootanimation for a Rezound. I have a buddy with one, if you're still having trouble I'll put one on his and see what I can do next time I see him. Or maybe OP can chime in with some knowledge

Last edited:
Reactions: xarmorx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I figured I would share with the community since people are finding ICS a little tricky

*JUST AN UPDATE. I FOUND THAT THE BEATS AND VZW FOLDERS CAN HAVE ANY NUMBER OF IMAGES*

What you need:

boot animation creator.exe (windows program) get it at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1234611 (credit to despotovski01)
    7zip (windows program) http://www.7-zip.org/
    fotosizer (windows program) http://www.fotosizer.com/
    some type of boot animation (youtube video, collection of images, whatever)
    file explorer app (root explorer, es file explorer, etc)

Steps:

USE THESE SETTINGS : Preset size - original, destination folder (the folder you created earlier named VZW, output format - JPEG, file name mask (this is important) render_720x1280_compress %NNN

choose the folder that contains beats, android and VZW and choose next

android - 1 15
    beats - 1 15
    VZW - X 90 (x can be as many times as you want the image set in the VZW folder to repeat)
    width - 720
    height - 1280
    speed - 15

IF YOU DON'T WANT THE BEATS ANIMATION:

use fotosizer once again to rename your first 35 images to "Beats Audio Animation as JPG Seq XX" the same way as you did with the VZW folder and place them in the "beats" folder
    you will need to redo the naming process again for the VZW folder
    follow the same steps for the bootanimation creator.exe program

IF YOU WANT LANDSCAPE

Simply open the folder that your images are stored in, single click on the first image, press and hold the shift key, click on the last image. right click and choose rotate clockwise. proceed as normal.

you can also create a flashable zip (include with the tools and credit Mr.Smith317) with the animation placed in the correct location

(there may be other ways of doing this process, but this ways has always worked without fail)

DOWNLOAD THE TOOLS
    Adding sound :

grab your sound file. it must be an mp3 and shouldn't be longer than 15 seconds
    rename it to android_audio.mp3

the default.xml file in /system/customize/CID needs to be edited

find this line 3/4 of the way down in the xml file
    <BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip"

add this to the end
    "audio="/system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3" audiostart="VZW"/>

the whole line should be
    <BootAnimation animation="/system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip"audio="/system/customize/resource/android_audio.mp3" audiostart="VZW"/>

*notice "/system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip? thats where your boot animation is stored*

place you audio mp3 file in the same folder as the boot animation
    change permissions to RW-R-R

reboot

the sound will start to play when the VZW folder images start. if you want to change this edit this part of the line you added

audiostart="VZW"/> to what ever folder you want it to start at
    Must have grabbed the wrong icon for the zip. I'm stuck in bed with tbe flu right now. I will try to fix it in a few hours

sent from your mom

Boot animation creator: http://d01microapps.elementfx.com/Downloads/install_bootanimationcreator.msi

feel better man

First of all thank you OP for this walkthrough. I have a Vivid and haven't been able to get bootsounds to work. With a little guidance from post 2, we have bootsound!

Also to OP and anyone else who might be interested - if you leave off the audiostart="folder", it will just start the sound at the beginning of the animation, rather than looking for a specific folder name. This would allow other animations that don't use the same folder structure to utilize the sound. However if you only want your sound to start at a specific roll of images, this is a great addition!