Frequently Asked Questions - LG Optimus G (AT&T)

Search This thread

Pony Express

Dec 7, 2010
737 miles from where I was
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]LG Optimus G (AT&T)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root/unlock this phone?[/SIZE]
There is a guide in the 'General" subforum. Recoveries can be found in the 'Development' subforum.
Note: There is an " Everything" thread stickied in the 'General' subforum where you will find many of the goods for this device.​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is the best ROM?[/SIZE]
Please refrain from asking questions about the 'best' ROM, kernel, launcher or anything else as the answer is subjective at best. Here is a reply from a Moderator Best/Fastest Rom
[SIZE=+1]Q3: Do I need to do anything besides root/unlock before flashing a ROM?[/SIZE]
Make a backup of your current ROM.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: After flashing a ROM I am stuck on splash/boot screen- what do I do?[/SIZE]
Try wiping data, cache,and dalvik as well as under mounts and storage format system then reflash. If you still have the issue go to the ROM specific thread and search there for an answer. If you have searched and the answer is not there then post the question, preferably in 'Q&A' subforum rather than the development thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I changed to a different recovery- where is my backup?[/SIZE]
It can not be seen by a different recovery - either revert back to the recovery where your backup is located or make a new backup with the recovery you are now using.​
[SIZE=+1]Q6: How do I return to stock?[/SIZE]
LGNPST. There is a guide in the 'General' subforum.​
[SIZE=+1]Q7: Why is my 'XYZ' app not working on this new ROM?[/SIZE]
This is most likely not because it is a new rom. Best solution is to uninstall the app and do a fresh install, meaning not from a backup.​
[SIZE=+1]Q8: Why is battery life not so good on my phone?[/SIZE]
We all use our phones a little to a lot different than someone else therefore there is not a 'one fix' answer. Try using a couple of apps such as CPU Spy and Better Battery Stats to help you identify the problem areas.​
[SIZE=+1]Q9: After flashing a rom, I get a pop-up saying ' Unfortunately the process Android.process.media has stopped. How can I clear that message?[/SIZE]
Clear Data in media storage is usually all it takes. You may also re-flash the rom- when re-installing apps do not restore data.​
[SIZE=+1]Q10: MTP connection for my phone is on. Why doesn't my pc/laptop recognize it?[/SIZE]
Try a different USB port and / or cable- try rebooting the computer (up to 3 times). Try USB port that is 2.0 rather than 3.0.Some Win 8 users report issues, consult Win 8 support. Uninstall and then re-install the LG drivers from Here

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.

A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

Pony Express

Dec 7, 2010
737 miles from where I was
Keep posts/threads on-topic

Whilst a minor amount of off-topic posting may be overlooked, the general rule is your posts / threads must be relevant to the Forum / thread in which you are posting.
General Forums - For news and announcements relating to your device.
Q&A Forums - For all question threads / posts. If there is no Q&A forum use the device General Forum
Accessories subforum - For posts related to accessories relevant to the phone model
Development Forums (ones with the word development in the title) - For developers to post release threads e.g. ROMs and Kernels including modifications to Kernels, Bootloaders, ROMs, etc.
Themes and Apps Forums - For themers to post Themes and App. announcements & discussions including modifications made to Apps and Themes.

(OP will be reviewed and updated periodically)

Last edited:

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
oy...this is not a Samsung phone, Pony. Do you have valley fever? :D

Nice job, buddy.

edit...will reserve this for you too if you need it in the future..pm me if you do

Reactions: Pony Express

dbgeek

Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta
Pony,

I have a couple FAQ's that I'd like to nominate for your list (there may be additional answers that people will want to offer, but the answers are as complete a list that I can think of/find):

Q. After flashing the ROM, I get a popup saying "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped."
A.
1) Clear data for the Media Storage service
2) Reflash the ROM when reinstalling the apps don't restore data

Q. My PC/Laptop doesn't recognize that my phone is connected when MTP connected:
A.
1) use a different USB port
2) don't use a USB 3.0 port
2) use a different USB to micro cable
3) reboot PC/Laptop: may require multiple reboots of PC/Laptop (standard windows fix is to reboot 3 times, to see if it fixes the prob, before calling their helpless desk)
4) are you using an Windows 8 PC/Laptop? Change to a different computer
5) reinstall/manually install the drivers (http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-E970)

Last edited:

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Pony,

I have a couple FAQ's that I'd like to nominate for your list (there may be additional answers that people will want to offer, but the answers are as complete a list that I can think of/find):

Q. After flashing the ROM, I get a popup saying "Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped."
A.
1) Clear data for the Media Storage service
2) Reflash the ROM when reinstalling the apps don't restore data

Q. My PC/Laptop doesn't recognize that my phone is connected when MTP connected:
A.
1) use a different USB port
2) don't use a USB 3.0 port
2) use a different USB to micro cable
3) reboot PC/Laptop: may require multiple reboots of PC/Laptop (standard windows fix is to reboot 3 times, to see if it fixes the prob, before calling their helpless desk)
4) are you using an Windows 8 PC/Laptop? Change to a different computer
5) reinstall/manually install the drivers (http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-E970)

good stuff mate. These are the things the RC team is looking for... ideas from the users:good:

Reactions: Pony Express

shreyaj

Feb 16, 2013
how to bring back to stock 4.1.2 jb

can someone explain me how to bring this phone back to 4.1.2 JB stock usin LGNPST ... im running 4.2.2 codefire sr19 and i wanna go back to stock. and do i have to root again after i go back to stock..??

clago87

May 12, 2011
You must lgnpst I was little hesitant at first but very simple compared to others Samsung HTC

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

tintin.92

Aug 13, 2012
A friend of mine (here, in India) is planning to buy the Optimus G E970, an unlocked version. I was wondering,

1. Is there any way to remove the AT&T logo from the notification bar, except installing a custom statusbar? Open to custom stock (LG) roms, not stock android based roms. If not, does it stay constant at AT&T or does it change according to current carrier?

2. Is the deep sleep issue gone in the JellyBean update?

3. Techradar says the contacts app was very erratic, and used to take upto 30 seconds to open on occasion. Did any of you guys face this issue on ICS? Is it there in JellyBean.

4. Also, since the phone is based on AT&T, how will the modem perform?

Many thanks to whoever takes the time to answer these questions for me...

Last edited:

badbomb

Jun 29, 2012
Chennai
A friend of mine (here, in India) is planning to buy the Optimus G E970, an unlocked version. I was wondering,

1. Is there any way to remove the AT&T logo from the notification bar, except installing a custom statusbar? Open to custom stock (LG) roms, not stock android based roms. If not, does it stay constant at AT&T or does it change according to current carrier?

2. Is the deep sleep issue gone in the JellyBean update?

3. Techradar says the contacts app was very erratic, and used to take upto 30 seconds to open on occasion. Did any of you guys face this issue on ICS? Is it there in JellyBean.

4. Also, since the phone is based on AT&T, how will the modem perform?

Many thanks to whoever takes the time to answer these questions for me...

I have the AT&T version which I am using in India... I had to use LGNPST to load the latest firmware since OTA does not work... Currently it is rooted, unlocked, with vanilla rootbox running.....

1. I don't remember seeing any AT&T logo in the statusbar. Also when you put in an Indian SIM, the service provider name will be displayed in the statusbar. This is on stock firmware, un-rooted and with bootloader locked.

2. No deep sleep issue

3. No issues with contacts. This depends on rom I guess.

4. the usual bug with JB radio is present with call indicated as disconnected but available in the notification area.

P.S. If you want to unlock bootloader with freegee app, suggest you use the CWM recovery instead of TWRP.... I used TWRP first and soft-bricked my phone. Then had to go back to stock and repeat the whole process again.

hope this helps... :D

tintin.92

Aug 13, 2012
I have the AT&T version which I am using in India... I had to use LGNPST to load the latest firmware since OTA does not work... Currently it is rooted, unlocked, with vanilla rootbox running.....

1. I don't remember seeing any AT&T logo in the statusbar. Also when you put in an Indian SIM, the service provider name will be displayed in the statusbar. This is on stock firmware, un-rooted and with bootloader locked.

2. No deep sleep issue

3. No issues with contacts. This depends on rom I guess.

4. the usual bug with JB radio is present with call indicated as disconnected but available in the notification area.

P.S. If you want to unlock bootloader with freegee app, suggest you use the CWM recovery instead of TWRP.... I used TWRP first and soft-bricked my phone. Then had to go back to stock and repeat the whole process again.

hope this helps... :D

Firstly, thanks a BUNCH for replying.

The logo i'm talking about is like this:
CWM-Recovery-AT-T-Optimus-G.jpg

I read in a couple of places that its permanent, which would be annoying. Since this phone was designed only for AT&T, i assumed that the word "AT&T" was just pasted there, as opposed to reading the name of the actual carrier, displaying it there.

About the modem issue, if i understood correctly, it will say call disconnected, but the call will still go through? Can't the ICS modem be used instead?
The other Modem issue I am curious about is one i faced on my own S2. The stock modem that came with the Indian firmware was terrible, and hardly ever gave me a data connection. As soon as i switched modems, the problem was rectified. Now if Samsung can drop the ball on a phone meant to be sold and used in India, i can only assume that something similar can happen with an AT&T phone.

Last edited:

badbomb

Jun 29, 2012
Chennai
Firstly, thanks a BUNCH for replying.

The logo i'm talking about is like this:
CWM-Recovery-AT-T-Optimus-G.jpg

I read in a couple of places that its permanent, which would be annoying. Since this phone was designed only for AT&T, i assumed that the word "AT&T" was just pasted there, as opposed to reading the name of the actual carrier, displaying it there.

About the modem issue, if i understood correctly, it will say call disconnected, but the call will still go through? Can't the ICS modem be used instead?
The other Modem issue I am curious about is one i faced on my own S2. The stock modem that came with the Indian firmware was terrible, and hardly ever gave me a data connection. As soon as i switched modems, the problem was rectified. Now if Samsung can drop the ball on a phone meant to be sold and used in India, i can only assume that something similar can happen with an AT&T phone.

Yes, you are absolutely right - "it will say call disconnected, but the call will still go through". ICS modem can also be used. Check the thread on available radios under the General section(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2270319). This thread talks about each radio and the issues they have. Also some roms have GPS/ LTE problems. If you can do without these, I guess you can use the ICS radio.

mopo01

Jan 17, 2011
Chicago
Basic question, will mods and apps made for other LGOG's (Sprint, international) work on our phone. I understand that some get into framework and such but i would like to know about launchers, q-slide, and such

Thanks

Watchet60

Jun 20, 2013
Hi guys ! I have a problem with noozxoide and google play music, the equalizer worked only one time but non it doesn't. I also tried DSP manager , same result. Any solutions ?

Envoyé depuis mon LG-E970 en utilisant Tapatalk 4 Beta

MoFoQ

Jan 4, 2011
odd, once unlocked and you use a different provider's SIM, it should not show AT&T in the status bar.
mine shows T-Mobile (it showed a different logo when I used one of those prepaid sims).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]LG Optimus G (AT&T)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root/unlock this phone?[/SIZE]
    There is a guide in the 'General" subforum. Recoveries can be found in the 'Development' subforum.
    Note: There is an " Everything" thread stickied in the 'General' subforum where you will find many of the goods for this device.​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: What is the best ROM?[/SIZE]
    Please refrain from asking questions about the 'best' ROM, kernel, launcher or anything else as the answer is subjective at best. Here is a reply from a Moderator Best/Fastest Rom
    [SIZE=+1]Q3: Do I need to do anything besides root/unlock before flashing a ROM?[/SIZE]
    Make a backup of your current ROM.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: After flashing a ROM I am stuck on splash/boot screen- what do I do?[/SIZE]
    Try wiping data, cache,and dalvik as well as under mounts and storage format system then reflash. If you still have the issue go to the ROM specific thread and search there for an answer. If you have searched and the answer is not there then post the question, preferably in 'Q&A' subforum rather than the development thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I changed to a different recovery- where is my backup?[/SIZE]
    It can not be seen by a different recovery - either revert back to the recovery where your backup is located or make a new backup with the recovery you are now using.​
    [SIZE=+1]Q6: How do I return to stock?[/SIZE]
    LGNPST. There is a guide in the 'General' subforum.​
    [SIZE=+1]Q7: Why is my 'XYZ' app not working on this new ROM?[/SIZE]
    This is most likely not because it is a new rom. Best solution is to uninstall the app and do a fresh install, meaning not from a backup.​
    [SIZE=+1]Q8: Why is battery life not so good on my phone?[/SIZE]
    We all use our phones a little to a lot different than someone else therefore there is not a 'one fix' answer. Try using a couple of apps such as CPU Spy and Better Battery Stats to help you identify the problem areas.​
    [SIZE=+1]Q9: After flashing a rom, I get a pop-up saying ' Unfortunately the process Android.process.media has stopped. How can I clear that message?[/SIZE]
    Clear Data in media storage is usually all it takes. You may also re-flash the rom- when re-installing apps do not restore data.​
    [SIZE=+1]Q10: MTP connection for my phone is on. Why doesn't my pc/laptop recognize it?[/SIZE]
    Try a different USB port and / or cable- try rebooting the computer (up to 3 times). Try USB port that is 2.0 rather than 3.0.Some Win 8 users report issues, consult Win 8 support. Uninstall and then re-install the LG drivers from Here

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.

A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    Keep posts/threads on-topic

Whilst a minor amount of off-topic posting may be overlooked, the general rule is your posts / threads must be relevant to the Forum / thread in which you are posting.
    General Forums - For news and announcements relating to your device.
    Q&A Forums - For all question threads / posts. If there is no Q&A forum use the device General Forum
    Accessories subforum - For posts related to accessories relevant to the phone model
    Development Forums (ones with the word development in the title) - For developers to post release threads e.g. ROMs and Kernels including modifications to Kernels, Bootloaders, ROMs, etc.
    Themes and Apps Forums - For themers to post Themes and App. announcements & discussions including modifications made to Apps and Themes.

(OP will be reviewed and updated periodically)
    Hi All,
    I have one question : When will version Stock 4.4 Office for E970 be published :p?
    Thansk for all !
    September 10th. 2018.
    ^^ This. +1... and a huge congrats TS- you will be a great Mod!! :)

OP updated - Q9 and 10. Thanks, dbgeek. ;)
    sorry i am posting this message to anywhere because i need quick replies to fix my error as i m so tense...

My question to all the developer here... can anyone help me please? i have LG Optimus G E970 at&t and having serious issue as it is not detecting sim network, everything is running fine except sim network. I was on stock and all things running fine but i installed 4.4 kitkat rom from this link: https://yadi.sk/d/F7yqEV7yaFk8V
    then my network not worked, i restore back to stock 4.1.2 but still same problem, no sim detected, i showed it to market developer and they said it is hardware issue while i told them its happened due to installing rom and one have tried on it all things as he was software engineer but no luck, then i gave it to repair shop and they changed its sim jack and insert everything perfectly, but still no network! though one changed in that now when i put sim its not showing but when i eject sim from the jack while phone on the message comes "Phone will restart to use GSM network" and then phone is restarting but same problem , no sim.....!
    can anyone tell me exact solution for this? is it really hardware issue or software related? i m stuck up and spent heavy amount on it and still on risk.... i will appreciate your kind cooperation.... thanks in advance..
    Have you tried a different SIM card? I had intermittent network issues when my SIM card failed.