Hard bricked during CM9 upgrade from UCLD3 Leak?!

Search This thread

thershope

Nov 17, 2011
Got my Replacement with AT&T

Went to AT&T and back with new (Or Refurbished, either way am Happy) phone within 20 minutes.

I was very lucky I must say.

Thanks for all the help guys.

jpgalaxy

Apr 1, 2012
I was told that refurb has a special sticker in addtion to the imei sticker to indicate refurbished.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

I only have the one sticker under the battery that includes the IMEI, but I suspect its a new sticker and the serial number probably indicates the refurbished status.

thershope

Nov 17, 2011
I also think so. I also have only one sticker but that is totally different in size and placement than my other phone.

SO, I also believe the serial number might say if the phone was refurbished.

I only have the one sticker under the battery that includes the IMEI, but I suspect its a new sticker and the serial number probably indicates the refurbished status.

w1209

Apr 19, 2012
You guys are making me wish I took mine to a service center instead of sending it to Mobile Tech Videos :D

Oh well, at least I will have my brand new phone back (is is a little over a month old) and will keep my 1 year warranty instead of 3 month on a refurb.

Lesson learned! I think I'm just going to stick with stock instead of trying experimental leaked ROMs

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
Nothing wrong with trying anything experimental, just gotta make sure to do a loooootta reading first. I know how u feel tho, it can seem daunting and scary since these things cost so much. ;-) you'll be fine if u read and search and use common sense. Good luck all, happy flashing.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
And then every once in a while, a package comes along with a serious, dangerous bug in it. No matter how much study you do, or what knowledge you have, you might not be able to avoid the problem. And what other explanation is there for this series of events, than a nasty bug? I dodged the bullet myself, but not because of any knowledge I have. I just never used the nandroid backup, or flashed to an aosp rom. I also never flashed the one-click leak, as I know better than that. Fortunately, this sort of thing happens only very rarely.

Reactions: Simba501

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
And then every once in a while, a package comes along with a serious, dangerous bug in it. No matter how much study you do, or what knowledge you have, you might not be able to avoid the problem. And what other explanation is there for this series of events, than a nasty bug? I dodged the bullet myself, but not because of any knowledge I have. I just never used the nandroid backup, or flashed to an aosp rom. I also never flashed the one-click leak, as I know better than that. Fortunately, this sort of thing happens only very rarely.

Yup - The I777 community has been flashing stuff for months, and until this the only people who had serious problems are those that Odined I9100 bootloaders (and they got lucky, those were functional enough to recover) or flashed an I9100 PIT file.

To my knowledge, this week is the first time anyone has hardbricked when flashing anything in CWM that was meant for their device, and the common theme is an improperly repacked leak kernel with CWM.

There was a similar rash of problems in the N7000 community a couple of weeks ago, it even nailed xplodwild who is (in my opinion) one of the best kernel developers around.

Lekerstein

Jan 20, 2012
Thought I'd add my two cents. I started on CM9 4/17. Did a nandroid backup and flashed the leak (LD3) after Task updated the thread like 1 or 2 days ago. Looked around a bit and decided to go back. I did do a full wipe of everything going into the leak, but not back out. I restored from the nandroid. It originally didn't restore cuz of an md5 mismatch but I forced the md5 to agree (ballsy move, I know) and tried again. Boom, restored back to CM9 4/17 no problem. I haven't flashed any other nightly yet.

Edit: I see this thread was started before Task updated the leak. So it looks like I was a guinea pig on the update unknowingly. Thank goodness it was fixed....

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

Last edited:

Kinador

Apr 17, 2012
I was one of the unlucky few to hard brick

I was wondering if we had conformation on exactly what It was. I've read both this thread and what was talked about in Task's.

I only ask because I'm still worried about doing a nandroid backup or restoring. I get there is always a risk, and I'm still bouncing back and fourth from Task's ld3 leek and his aotk + his theme, awesome btw.

Well thanks ya'll.

timmetal6669

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2012
Redlands CA
Moto G7
Cm9 its the devil. You should see how many bricks over in the epic 4touch section. Cm9 needs to be pulled and tested thoroughly. We know they aren't responsible... Well they're right they know about it and release it anyway. That is irresponsible.

Reactions: j510

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Cm9 its the devil. You should see how many bricks over in the epic 4touch section. Cm9 needs to be pulled and tested thoroughly. We know they aren't responsible... Well they're right they know about it and release it anyway. That is irresponsible.

You're ridiculous. Why are you on XDA. You shouldn't even be flashing anything to your devices with the level of intellect that you've shown here. The poop I took this morning made more of a difference here on XDA then you did in your post. :D

Kinador

Apr 17, 2012
I'm not trying to place blame. I took the risk in flashing my phone hundreds of times, and hell I didn't last a whole day with the replacement being stock.

I'm loving what you guys are doing. I was just asking if we knew for certain. Then again, like it was stated earlier sometimes a bad package comes along.

Anyway, ya'll keep it up and I'll keep fiddling. In between triple wipes ofcourse

Slavestate

Sep 7, 2010
www.descentrecords.com

That's funny are we using Epics? Nope. The devils been running stable as fvck for weeks now so he must be doing something better then the sheep.

Now where's my Slayer and Mayhem ringtones??? You would think Satan would include them with his rom!

Sent from my devil-powered all-knowing SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a

Cm9 is the reason my dad left my mom when I was 10. Damn u cm9. Damn u.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

capathy21

Jul 10, 2011
Pineville,La
I just wanted to make sure that the issue that caused the hard bricks was taken care of. I just got my replacement and dont want to mess it up again. I just rooted the new device and have installed the NEW corrected leak of LC5. Am I able to flash between LC5 and Cm9, or LC5 and Tasks AOKP? I do not generally create a Nandroid so I would be wiping before I flash anything. Never had any issues before when switching between these roms but I am kind of unsure now that I have experienced a hard brick. Thanks

nakedninja42

Oct 28, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I just wanted to make sure that the issue that caused the hard bricks was taken care of. I just got my replacement and dont want to mess it up again. I just rooted the new device and have installed the NEW corrected leak of LC5. Am I able to flash between LC5 and Cm9, or LC5 and Tasks AOKP? I do not generally create a Nandroid so I would be wiping before I flash anything. Never had any issues before when switching between these roms but I am kind of unsure now that I have experienced a hard brick. Thanks

The issue has been resolved in the leaks. I have not flashed since Task updated the leaks but I had no problems moving from shostock2 to aokp and nandroid back to shostock2 with my replacement phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just thought I'd post an update on my hard bricked phone:
    Josh from Mobile Tech Videos got a chance to look at my phone today and according to him the eMMC chip is toast. He was unable to recover it using JTAG. Could it just have been a coincidence that several people hard bricked around the same time or did flashing have something to do with the eMMC chip becoming defective?
    Will take my phone back to an ATT service center as soon as I get it back. I don't think I will have much of an issue getting a replacement

Right now, the general consensus is:
    With the exception of I9100 leaks and kernels built from I9100 update4 sources, Samsung ICS kernels for Exynos4 devices have a SERIOUS bug that causes them to do permanent damage to the eMMC chip. This is most likely to occur when doing a major erase operation (such as a wipe in CWM, but a wipe/factory reset in stock 3e recovery is likely to be just as dangerous)
    This includes kernels from:
    All Epic 4G Touch ICS leaks
    All GT-N7000 (International Note) ICS leaks
    The UCLD3 I777 leak (probably all of the I777 ICS leaks)
    Anything built from the Korean SHW-M250S/K/L bases - this is why there was just a rash of hardbricks with SiyahKernel 3.1rc6 - it was based off of the Korean M250L sources.

Right now the suspicion is that it is due to this:
    https://github.com/Entropy512/kerne...59551eaf5afc3d68f2da96b0249937bd5e13#L10R1881

Samsung attempted to fix it with:
    https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_galaxys2_ics/commit/d069cc5cb9f0fd9409ea10d4037e4c0e68701b8e

but they only disabled TRIM and not ERASE (which are related)

Unfortunately there's no way to test this without risk of hardware damage... you can't declare something fixed unless you can reproduce the problem - but you can reproduce this problem once per device repair. So really only Samsung can declare it fixed - but then they'd have to actually interface with the development community.
    Just wanted to chime in from the ET4g community to confirm this is exactly what happens to us on ICS leaks. As stated above it only occurs when flashing on a CWM repack kernel. Mobile ODIN is safe. It Is permanent hardware damage. Nothing will fix it, but I believe that some bricks (ones that will boot to download but can't get past data.img in odin) can have low level repartitions set to avoid the factory data partition. Never done it myself and can't find the link.

Sorry to hear you guys have same bug. I just wanted to confirm it happens in CWM ICS as stated above. To flash or nandroid we Odin or mobile Odin a repacked GB kernel and flash from that CWM.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Yup. It may only affect a small percentage of users, which is why we get dangerous posts from idiots like virus1x of "it's safe for me so it's safe for you" - For example, gokhanmoral was able to wipe multiple times with siyahkernel 3.1rc6 (which was based off of the SHW-M250L update4 sources), but when he released it, multiple users hardbricked. Task650 was able to flash multiple times without trouble - but others hardbricked.

It may only be 2-3% of users that will hardbrick - but that's still WAY too high considering that a properly working kernel has 0% chance of hardbricking unless you do something really stupid, and even then, until this recent rash of broken ICS kernels, JTAG recovery could resurrect you for $50 or so.
    Well, my phone is non responsive to anything I do and I am unable to get into download mode. I rooted the phone using this guide from creepyncrawley (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311081).

For a complete device history:

I later installed a nightly of CM9. Everything worked great for the most part with the various nightly builds. I changed to the UCLD3 leak for awhile without hitch.

I needed something off of my stock rooted rom from the thread above so I did a restore...again no problems with the switch. I did have to fix permissions to open some apps.

I switched back to the UCLD3 leak to test data speeds with plans on switch to the new CM 9 nighlty. I booted into recovery and wiped data, cache, and dalvik. I went to install the CM 9 4/17 rom and it checked the rom and started the install. The progress bar never moved at all and after awhile the screen/phone turned off. Since then, the phone is completely unresponsive. I am unable to get into download mode, the cap lights do not turn on...nothing.

What happened...I have no clue. Is there any way I can fix this with the tools here?

This might be a stupid question, but... Dead battery?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

You're ridiculous. Why are you on XDA. You shouldn't even be flashing anything to your devices with the level of intellect that you've shown here. The poop I took this morning made more of a difference here on XDA then you did in your post. :D
    Hmm, odd, that's the most likely way to hose you...

Either way, do NOT flash anything or nandroid anything using the CWM-repacked UCLD3 kernel. Do NOT restore any Nandroids made with that kernel. Heimdall/Odin something else FIRST.