[Q] GALAXY NOTE 2 Metal back cover?

Search This thread

slice77

May 9, 2010
I'm guessing you didn't read what I wrote despite you quoting it lol. If you read, I asked, with the nfc issue sorted. So in simpler words for you, a case supporting nfc.

Instead you just told me something I already know..
If you don't know of any, then next time you don't need to reply, as rather than answering my question all you just did is try to sound knowledgeable. Well done.

Anyway, asking questions on xda seems to get a lot of hate. Just read 2 other threads and it was filled with blunt, unhelpful replies.

There will not be a metal case that supports NFC because that is simply not possible. You would have to put a layer of shielding on the metal, then the antenna, then cover the antenna with plastic. Defeating the point of a metal back while increasing thicknesses. It's the number one reason the iPhone doesn't have NFC.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda app-developers app

busab

Jun 25, 2010
Greer, SC
I just happen to stumble upon these today on Ebay, they seem like exactly what you wanted.

White Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-cover...614044?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1c2c14541c

Grey Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-COV...027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5f67c13

I hadn't thought about these, but they are actually nice looking.

Those look VERY nice! I just bought one. Thanks for sharing this!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
If he was referring to the gsm, then my bad.

The note 2 is perfect, I had the Dell streak before the note series etc as I'm in love 5" phabs,
I just wondered if alternatives were available, the current back looks good but I'm just a fan of metal covers.
So don't get it wrong as I'm not slating the current back.

So anyway, if it's not available then never mind, curiosity was just asking. :cool:

That's exactly what I was referring to. A metal back cover WILL interfere with your cell & wifi signals. They won't be blocked entirely as they can come through the front, but no signal will make it through the back of the device, thus degrading your signal.

qazkamakazi

Feb 1, 2009
Interesting, i was goint to say, if NFC was the only problem, then I wouldn't mind sacrificing the NFC, as its main use, NFC payment, hasnt been rolled out much in the UK.
But since everything else is blocked then I guess this thread and the idea is pointless.

Anyway, Just saw the links posted above, interesting indeed.
The grey titanium one posted above seems to have plastic inside with a metal back,

busab, you said you bought one, when it comes, mind sharing any signal problems, if any?

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
Sounds like the only metal option is a bumper of some sort, paired with some funky back cover design would do.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app

busab

Jun 25, 2010
Greer, SC
Interesting, i was goint to say, if NFC was the only problem, then I wouldn't mind sacrificing the NFC, as its main use, NFC payment, hasnt been rolled out much in the UK.
But since everything else is blocked then I guess this thread and the idea is pointless.

The grey titanium one posted above seems to have plastic inside with a metal back,

busab, you said you bought one, when it comes, mind sharing any signal problems, if any?

Yeah I will share my results. I am waiting on the Tmobile version of the note 2 to be released though. Hopefully the battery door and the phone will show up around the same time :D

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Ha, small world I live in Columbia, SC.

Indeed it is my friend! :beer:

Reactions: qazkamakazi

busab

Jun 25, 2010
Greer, SC
Ok so I got my metal back cover in the mail today and I also got my tmobile note 2 also today. Great timing huh?

Quality wise its decent. The only problem is the "galaxy note II" lettering on the back. The "note" part is kinda messed up. I'll see if I can get some pictures up here in a bit.

It fits perfectly, so no issues there. It feels really nice to the touch and I prefer it to the stock battery cover. It just makes it feel more sturdy.

As far as signal goes, I really don't see any difference. I am in a fairly strong signal area though. Maybe it will make a difference in fringe areas but I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway that's my quick little review.

Edit: I went into the phone status menu and looked at the signal strength with the metal cover on and with it off. With it off it was hovering around -93,with it on it was staying around -97. So it does affect the signal a little bit.

y5u6epub.jpg
tudu4y9y.jpg
jadany4u.jpg
pusa7egu.jpg
y5a6evah.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Jobiza

Tweh

Oct 25, 2012
Awesome!!

Ok so I got my metal back cover in the mail today and I also got my tmobile note 2 also today. Great timing huh?

Quality wise its decent. The only problem is the "galaxy note II" lettering on the back. The "note" part is kinda messed up. I'll see if I can get some pictures up here in a bit.

It fits perfectly, so no issues there. It feels really nice to the touch and I prefer it to the stock battery cover. It just makes it feel more sturdy.

As far as signal goes, I really don't see any difference. I am in a fairly strong signal area though. Maybe it will make a difference in fringe areas but I'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: I went into the phone status menu and looked at the signal strength with the metal cover on and with it off. With it off it was hovering around -93,with it on it was staying around -97. So it does affect the signal a little bit.

Great to hear :good:. I ordered mine on Monday and I can't wait until it arrives. I also ordered the Nillkin hard case today. I love the phone, but miss the premium feel of my HTC Amaze. I hope it feels as firm as I'm hoping.

dbgeek

Mar 8, 2011
Atlanta

Thanks for sharing the info. I'm going to get a Note 2, with my upgrade, next week and one of my only concerns is the strength of the back cover.

Any chance that you can test the NFC (e.g., know anyone with an NFC enabled phone like the SGS3 or HTC One x, where you could test a NFC file transfer)?

busab

Jun 25, 2010
Greer, SC
Thanks for sharing the info. I'm going to get a Note 2, with my upgrade, next week and one of my only concerns is the strength of the back cover.

Any chance that you can test the NFC (e.g., know anyone with an NFC enabled phone like the SGS3 or HTC One x, where you could test a NFC file transfer)?

Unfortunately the back cover does not have a nfc antenna so you will not have nfc with this back cover.

Stamatos

Oct 25, 2012
I got one of the ebay metal backs. It says it is green with black but the picture is green with white so fingers crossed I get it with black.

DMax99

Aug 30, 2010
Is it possible to buy the nfc tag somewhere and stick to one of these metal back covers? I pulled the trigger and bought a silver one today. :p

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here ya Go

I just happen to stumble upon these today on Ebay, they seem like exactly what you wanted.

White Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-cover...614044?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1c2c14541c

Grey Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-COV...027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5f67c13

I hadn't thought about these, but they are actually nice looking.
    I would be quite happy with a back cover like the one on the blue Note 1

Yeah I will share my results. I am waiting on the Tmobile version of the note 2 to be released though. Hopefully the battery door and the phone will show up around the same time :D

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Ha, small world I live in Columbia, SC.

Indeed it is my friend! :beer:

y5u6epub.jpg
    tudu4y9y.jpg
    jadany4u.jpg
    pusa7egu.jpg
    y5a6evah.jpg