[Beginners Guide] Rooting the AT&T GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

kirkgbr

Nov 16, 2011
Your warning indicates this is for " AT&T GS3 ONLY" but there are several references to Sprint throughout the instructions.

Thanks for the writeup though. :good:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Your warning indicates this is for " AT&T GS3 ONLY" but there are several references to Sprint throughout the instructions.

Thanks for the writeup though. :good:

Sorry, this is for the at&t galaxy s3. This guide was originally written for the Sprint but I replaced CWM 6.0.1.2 with 6.0.1.4 to make it compatible with the at&t. The rest is identical. I thought I had cleaned up the guide. I guess I missed a few references. I will clean it up after work tonight to get rid of any confusion. Thanks very much for the heads up...

Reactions: d-rail

sthpaw01

Sep 23, 2012
Is this confirmed working? A buddy hat work upgraded his ATT S3 to JB and he wants root back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

JWC59382

Dec 14, 2012
Derry
Thanks man! Followed the guide on GalaxyS3Root.com after updating Jelly bean and it failed. This one works perfectly on my AT&T GS3! Cheers!

smelenchuk

Apr 30, 2011
Don't even know if you use the same files.
Yes and no - you need to extract the individual files from the .tar image in order to use the image with Heimdall. Unfortunately, not having gone through the entire process myself in that fashion, I can't really comment on which files match up with which Heimdall options, though I may look more in detail into that at a later date.

vancitygl

Feb 15, 2012
Vancouver
No worries Skunk Ape1. I just haven't been able to find a guide for 4.1.1 on mac.
smelenchuk if you do please let me know your findings! Thanks man

smelenchuk

Apr 30, 2011
Okay, I've taken the time to tinker with Heimdall a bit to get the partition identifiers from my own phone (which matches up from the info from this old thread), and have put together the following, which seems to work for me. This was with Heimdall 1.4-rc1; I think earlier versions don't accept numeric identifiers.

You'd probably better have a plan on hand to get things back to normal if this doesn't work (I'm not responsible for your bricking your own device if this doesn't work).

You'll need to extract the .tar image before using this; if you're at a command line,
Code:
tar xf <image>.tar
should suffice to do that. You'll end up with the following files:
Code:
aboot.mbn
boot.img
cache.img.ext4
NON-HLOS.bin
recovery.img
rpm.mbn
sbl2.mbn
sbl3.mbn
system.img.ext4
tz.mbn
Afterwards, boot your phone into download mode (from a powered-down phone, Vol Down + Home + Power Button until you see the Samsung logo) and make sure you're completely ready and have backups and all before you run the following (I'm not going to be held responsible for you bricking your own phone and being unable to recover from it afterwards):

Code:
heimdall flash --1 NON-HLOS.bin --3 sbl2.mbn --4 sbl3.mbn --5 aboot.mbn --6 rpm.mbn --7 boot.img --8 tz.mbn --14 system.img.ext4 --17 cache.img.ext4 --18 recovery.img

You should be able to get away with flashing only some of those images instead of all of them (in particular, if you have a third party recovery from somewhere, you might want to omit the recovery image); that said, if you're only flashing some of the specified images as opposed to all of them, I'm almost certain it will trip the flash counter. (I don't know if flashing *everything* will trip the flash counter or not, though, seeing as I deliberately did not flash the recovery during my own test for ease of restoring my phone to its normal happy state.)

Last edited:

skottyboi34

Dec 8, 2012
Moto G 5G
Already hit the thanks button once, but wanted to formally thank you for this super easy root/recovery guide! Less than 5 minutes and done! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide deleted....
    Okay, I've taken the time to tinker with Heimdall a bit to get the partition identifiers from my own phone (which matches up from the info from this old thread), and have put together the following, which seems to work for me. This was with Heimdall 1.4-rc1; I think earlier versions don't accept numeric identifiers.

You'd probably better have a plan on hand to get things back to normal if this doesn't work (I'm not responsible for your bricking your own device if this doesn't work).

You'll need to extract the .tar image before using this; if you're at a command line,
    Code:
    tar xf <image>.tar
    should suffice to do that. You'll end up with the following files:
    Code:
    aboot.mbn
    boot.img
    cache.img.ext4
    NON-HLOS.bin
    recovery.img
    rpm.mbn
    sbl2.mbn
    sbl3.mbn
    system.img.ext4
    tz.mbn
    Afterwards, boot your phone into download mode (from a powered-down phone, Vol Down + Home + Power Button until you see the Samsung logo) and make sure you're completely ready and have backups and all before you run the following (I'm not going to be held responsible for you bricking your own phone and being unable to recover from it afterwards):

Code:
    heimdall flash --1 NON-HLOS.bin --3 sbl2.mbn --4 sbl3.mbn --5 aboot.mbn --6 rpm.mbn --7 boot.img --8 tz.mbn --14 system.img.ext4 --17 cache.img.ext4 --18 recovery.img

You should be able to get away with flashing only some of those images instead of all of them (in particular, if you have a third party recovery from somewhere, you might want to omit the recovery image); that said, if you're only flashing some of the specified images as opposed to all of them, I'm almost certain it will trip the flash counter. (I don't know if flashing *everything* will trip the flash counter or not, though, seeing as I deliberately did not flash the recovery during my own test for ease of restoring my phone to its normal happy state.)
    Does this method trip the flash counter? :confused:

Yes it does. But it's not an issue. Just run triangle away just before going back to stock and it will reset you back to zero.

See the instructions to unroot and return to stock.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=215018
    Jelly bean ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Yes... It will work with Jellybean. This method does not install a prerooted image tar. So it will root whatever Is on your phone without any regard. It simply installs custom recovery and root.
    Thanks man! Followed the guide on GalaxyS3Root.com after updating Jelly bean and it failed. This one works perfectly on my AT&T GS3! Cheers!

No problem... the at&t guys on Android Central have been using my guide to root their phones for quite some time now. So I know it works. Glad you were successful. :D