[Q] Does your m8 get good signal reception on at&t ????

Search This thread

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
I have issues getting good signal with my m8 on at&t, anyone else ? Actually I"am on straight talk which uses at&t service.

Not sure if the bad signal is just my area or if its my phone.

I can get LTE when I"am out and about, and it shows good signal, but my data speeds are not really that great for LTE being maybe 8 to 15 mbps yeah its good but should be more according to most users.

I live in Ohio and have absolutely no signal indoors and if I go out to the road I can pick up some weak edge signal which is like scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as data.

I have heard from people at a local at&t store that at&t took over the last of the alltel towers and something about July, but no one seems to be able to tell me anything about my area, and at&t maps show I"am supposed to have good service here so I dont know if its their service or my phone.

And being on straight talk its not like they will be able to help me with signal issues as you might as well be talking to yourself than call their customer service, as they cant even help you with how to set up call forwarding as they say its not listed as a feature with straight talk, pretty sad yes lol.

Does anyone work for at&t that can tell me if I will be getting alltel towers working in my area ?

In Ohio from zip 44830 Fostoria starting a few miles north going out of town on state route 199 basically all the way to state route 6 there is basically no service on my m8 as all I show is edge this is like a 10 to 15 mile stretch of nothing. Now if you turn west on state route 6 then you get a little better then a few miles you get LTE coverage.

Hoping someone from at&t can clue me in on this area because my m8 just sucks for service and I"am supposed to have good coverage here according to the at&t coverage maps.

sameer1807

Dec 7, 2011
Here in northern Delaware. Get LTE everywhere..they activated the tower near my house and I even get LTE there as well..solid 20mbps down

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
I have issues getting good signal with my m8 on at&t, anyone else ? Actually I"am on straight talk which uses at&t service.

I can get LTE when I"am out and about, and it shows good signal, but my data speeds are not really that great for LTE being maybe 8 to 15 mbps yeah its good but should be more according to most users.

I live in Ohio and have absolutely no signal indoors and if I go out to the road I can pick up some weak edge signal which is like scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as data.

I have heard from people at a local at&t store that at&t took over the last of the alltel towers and something about July, but no one seems to be able to tell me anything about my area, and at&t maps show I"am supposed to have good service here so I dont know if its their service or my phone.

And being on straight talk its not like they will be able to help me with signal issues as you might as well be talking to yourself than call their customer service, as they cant even help you with how to set up call forwarding as they say its not listed as a feature with straight talk, pretty sad yes lol.

Does anyone work for at&t that can tell me if I will be getting alltel towers working in my area ?

In Ohio from zip 44830 Fostoria starting a few miles north going out of town on state route 199 basically all the way to state route 6 there is basically no service on my m8 as all I show is edge this is like a 10 to 15 mile stretch of nothing. Now if you turn west on state route 6 then you get a little better then a few miles you get LTE coverage.

Hoping someone from at&t can clue me in on this area because my m8 just sucks for service and I"am supposed to have good coverage here according to the at&t coverage maps.

Have you used more than 2.5Gb of data? Probably not, since they throttle you to 2G/Edge once you do & you'd sure notice that slow down much more. It may very well be a QOS prioritization for AT&T post paid accounts. If it is a big AT&T area, you may be getting second tier LTE, as opposed to high priority service.

What is the exact APN you are using? att mvno or the proxy mvno?

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Have you used more than 2.5Gb of data? Probably not, since they throttle you to 2G/Edge once you do & you'd sure notice that slow down much more. It may very well be a QOS prioritization for AT&T post paid accounts. If it is a big AT&T area, you may be getting second tier LTE, as opposed to high priority service.

What is the exact APN you are using? att mvno or the proxy mvno?

Oh no I have used maybe 100 mb's this month at the most and I have never even used a gb ever, as I use wifi from home most of the time.

Yes they could be giving me a slower LTE speed, possibly so that could be the reason on LTE.

But the no service here would not be because of that, must either be their weak towers or lack of towers here or my m8 ?

Oh forgot you asked which apn I was using. I have tried the one for straight talk and one for at&t mvno see the screen shots that I added a few posts after this one.

Last edited:

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Mine works great on at&t. Lte everywhere here in Atlanta. 20-70mbs downstream. Comparing with old phones, Signal is about the same as my gs4, a little bit better than my m7, and it is WAY better than my nexus 5. Wifi on this phone is the best I have ever seen. Works out in my yard while mowing the grass.

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Oh no I have used maybe 100 mb's this month at the most and I have never even used a gb ever, as I use wifi from home most of the time.

Yes they could be giving me a slower LTE speed, possibly so that could be the reason on LTE.

But the no service here would not be because of that, must either be their weak towers or lack of towers here or my m8 ?

Oh forgot you asked which apn I was using. I have tried the one for straight talk and one for at&t mvno see the attached screen shots.

Mine does great on signal, in fact it's as good, if not better than any phone I've had on AT&T. I'm in a very rural area too, Mendocino County in Northwestern California. Speaking of Delaware up there, our county is bigger than the entire state of DE by 1300 Square Miles :D ;)

Our area's coverage map http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html#fbid=LanXkOldn1H Just put in zip 95470, my zip in Redwood Valley.

Last edited:

zacharyt86

I live in an area where I don't get very good signal as it is, and I've noticed that when I'm in an area that's already bad it seems to be a little worse then my Note 3 was, I am constantly having to re-start my phone because texts are failing, but if I'm in an area that has moderate to good coverage, its as good, if not better, then any phone I've had.

bruce7373

Apr 28, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm on AT&T in Los Angeles. I have the WWE edition on 4.4.3 (ARHD, 2.22.401.4 firmware}. My LTE speed is terrible. I'm averaging 5MB down. If I put my SIM into my Nexus 4, it gets 15 MB easy on 4G. I've tried switching radios, and switching to the US/Dev firmware (2.22.1540.3). I can't get more than 5MB no matter what. I wondering if it's because AT&T hasn't released the 4.4.3 update yet. Does that seem reasonable?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited: