*[GPS FIX] GPS Fix for all* roms

Search This thread

avetny

Jul 16, 2010
Private Island.
XDA member*mikel.canovas*created a thread with a method that he found while browsing our fora that will consistently allow the GPS in the Captivate (we know all this crappy phone with huge gps problem) to get a lock on within 5 seconds, even being indoors! This fix also working with galaxy note.

First off - All credit goes to h3llstorm, as this is his genius fix and I'm just making a thread about it since most people don't even know about it.*

This is for*- anyone whose GPS has long lock times, and is inaccurate in navigation.*This*SHOULD*work with all 2.3+ roms. I stress should because I have used this a while back with GB roms and am using it now on CM9 (ICS).

What it does*- replaces /system/etc/gps.conf with h3llstorm's modified version that has much more servers and various tweaks.Results*- I'm able to consistently get locks within 5 sec and ~10m with multiple sats. Even indoors, results are similar.Many (including non captivate users) have reoved results as well.

On my CheckRom I got no locktime at all. ( indoor!!!). Its instantly navigate!

Original thread is here

How to use it:

Backup your old gps.conf (located in /system/etc) in case you prefer your old configuration. But you can always flash your rom again to get it back as well

Download h3llstorm's gps fix --* http://goo.gl/Ti0pp SD CardReboot into CWM and flashReboot and enjoy.

GPSNOTE*- first lock can take much longer that normal. Don't be surprised if it takes over 1 min. Results should improve from there. Should get ~ 3 sec locks, with multiple satellites.

Last edited:

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
A thread about a thread. Mmmm just posting the link in general whas enough. One xda rule that is been broken.

I know you want to help. But lately the note dev section is full of non development threads.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1541082

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1543785

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538605

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1532830

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1527816

If you did not created than not make a thread about it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321268

Last edited:

henke2

Jul 28, 2010
Why would you want to fiddle with the Notes GPS settings? it works extremely well as it is. I always have a lock on multiplse sats within a couple of secs and rarely see less then 16sats beeing locked on after 10sec.

I just tested indoor where I got a lock on 17sats in about 3sec.

With the Galaxy S all tricks were welcome but with S2 and specially the Note with GLONASS too I se no point as it already is incredible.

Reactions: razorhanny

eliashadow

Nov 1, 2010
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
Thanks for sharing.

I can see that the NTP_SERVER is ''us.pool.ntp.org''.
So, maybe is better for Europe users to change it to ''europe.pool.ntp.org'' (or any specific country, for example ''gr.pool.ntp.org'' for my country) before flash it?

dahuzi

Sep 4, 2005
Shenzhen
I really really don't consider it's meaningful

Note can obtain and lock so many sats signal within few seconds. I don't think it's meaningful to do any mod.

Reactions: razorhanny

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
Thanks for sharing.

I can see that the NTP_SERVER is ''us.pool.ntp.org''.
So, maybe is better for Europe users to change it to ''europe.pool.ntp.org'' (or any specific country, for example ''gr.pool.ntp.org'' for my country) before flash it?

No wrong because we all use american sattelites. We all depend on us sattelites.

So wrong info, europe do not have own sattelites for navigate.

robertberma

Nov 9, 2010
BLEISWIJK
So what for there are different servers?
In any rom you can see different servers in gps config, for example rocket rom always using de.pool.ntp.org.

Faster Fix doing the same too.

We use navstar and that is been set free by ronald regean vs president to use for navigation all over. In europe we use galileo but not for ower diveses.

Did you ever heard about poland lanching a sattelite, we all use the same sattelites. Three for 3d persion. Does not matter where you are ore what it say in gps.conf.

Last edited:

BorisDeviant

Jun 20, 2008
Lyon
I think there is a misunderstanding here.

"Physical" satellite are american, and the same for all, obviously.

The servers you mentionned are NTP servers which allows for time synchronization, and quicker satellite fix time. It is related to A-GPS (stands for Assisted GPS).

Reactions: eliashadow

sudisk

Feb 7, 2012
Paris
We use navstar and that is been set free by ronald regean vs president to use for navigation all over. In europe we use galileo but not for ower diveses.

Did you ever heard about poland lanching a sattelite, we all use the same sattelites. Three for 3d persion. Does not matter where you are ore what it say in gps.conf.

[OT] Please spell check before posting. Three is not free [/OT]

NTP servers are time servers. Time has always been essential to navigation, even before the first satellite was ever launched. If all GPS users on the planet connected to the same time server to check time for satellite search, the servers would crash and you would never get a fix.

You CAN connect to any server you want, but the nearer (faster) the better.

eliashadow

Nov 1, 2010
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus
I think there is a misunderstanding here.

"Physical" satellite are american, and the same for all, obviously.

The servers you mentionned are NTP servers which allows for time synchronization, and quicker satellite fix time. It is related to A-GPS (stands for Assisted GPS).

NTP servers are time servers. Time has always been essential to navigation, even before the first satellite was ever launched. If all GPS users on the planet connected to the same time server to check time for satellite search, the servers would crash and you would never get a fix.

So am i right for generally is better to change ntp severs with our place?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Last edited:
Reactions: BorisDeviant

matius44

Feb 24, 2011
Sunderland

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XDA member*mikel.canovas*created a thread with a method that he found while browsing our fora that will consistently allow the GPS in the Captivate (we know all this crappy phone with huge gps problem) to get a lock on within 5 seconds, even being indoors! This fix also working with galaxy note.

First off - All credit goes to h3llstorm, as this is his genius fix and I'm just making a thread about it since most people don't even know about it.*

This is for*- anyone whose GPS has long lock times, and is inaccurate in navigation.*This*SHOULD*work with all 2.3+ roms. I stress should because I have used this a while back with GB roms and am using it now on CM9 (ICS).

What it does*- replaces /system/etc/gps.conf with h3llstorm's modified version that has much more servers and various tweaks.Results*- I'm able to consistently get locks within 5 sec and ~10m with multiple sats. Even indoors, results are similar.Many (including non captivate users) have reoved results as well.

On my CheckRom I got no locktime at all. ( indoor!!!). Its instantly navigate!

Original thread is here

How to use it:

Backup your old gps.conf (located in /system/etc) in case you prefer your old configuration. But you can always flash your rom again to get it back as well

Download h3llstorm's gps fix --* http://goo.gl/Ti0pp SD CardReboot into CWM and flashReboot and enjoy.

GPSNOTE*- first lock can take much longer that normal. Don't be surprised if it takes over 1 min. Results should improve from there. Should get ~ 3 sec locks, with multiple satellites.
    But lately the note dev section is full of non development threads.

You forgot this one:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1529604

It started its life in Development, but was later moved to Q&A. And do you remember who the OP was?

You.
    I know you want to help. But lately the note dev section is full of non development threads.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1527816

If you did not created than not make a thread about it.

Maybe you should learn to read, and start with reading your own words..

[ I ] made that mod, therefore I have the right to post a thread about..

Stop acting like your the one who created xda..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Why would you want to fiddle with the Notes GPS settings? it works extremely well as it is. I always have a lock on multiplse sats within a couple of secs and rarely see less then 16sats beeing locked on after 10sec.

I just tested indoor where I got a lock on 17sats in about 3sec.

With the Galaxy S all tricks were welcome but with S2 and specially the Note with GLONASS too I se no point as it already is incredible.